PDA

View Full Version : chain wear test

sales guy
01-29-2018, 05:40 PM
interesting.

https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/01/29/wippermann-11-speed-wear-test-finds-connex-11sx-chain-lasts-longest/

ultraman6970
01-29-2018, 05:42 PM
Time to move to wippermann?

sales guy
01-29-2018, 05:44 PM
they've always made excellent chains. and have made the mercedes benz timing chains for like 100 years.

very surprised by the other chains tho. but the chain they tested is solid pin solid link. so its a bit unfair against a hollow pin drilled link chain.

sales guy
01-29-2018, 05:48 PM
fsa just told me it was a first generation prototype chain wippermann tested. they said they are past the W11sx now.

cycle-spinner
01-29-2018, 09:50 PM
Totally agree, don’t think it’s an apple or apple comparison. Still interesting data.

kppolich
01-29-2018, 10:13 PM
SRAM Red 22 Chain Weight: 246g (114 Links) Price: $35.00
Dura Ace Chain HG901- Weight:243g (116 Links) Price:36.99
Wipperman 11sx Chain Weight: 270g (118 Links) Price: $89.96

sales guy
01-29-2018, 10:14 PM
to make the testing fair it should be 3 categories

solid links and pins
hollow pins solid links
hollow pins hollow links

And test each version in those available. But then again, doing a test like that would mean Wipperman wouldn't be able to say they won overall.

joosttx
01-29-2018, 10:22 PM

If there one thing I have learned in all my years of buying bike $hit is I will always pay a premium for durability. Lightweight stuff not so much.

sales guy
01-29-2018, 10:31 PM

Yeah, but it's stainless steel. That's why it's pricey.

oldpotatoe
01-30-2018, 06:08 AM
interesting.

https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/01/29/wippermann-11-speed-wear-test-finds-connex-11sx-chain-lasts-longest/

Too bad the 'test' was done by Wipperman..anecdotally, when in the shop I saw 2 things(w/ Wipperman 10s chains)...
-if there was a shifting issue, but the chain wasn't worn out, using a more flexible chain like Campag, shimano or KMC almost always solved it..
-If the Wipperman WAS worn out, almost always the cogset was too.

I think the 'durability' of their chains also tends to wear out cogsets, IMHO of course..

Expensive but 'least expensive compatible chain and cogset', is a better idea tho..

Davist
01-30-2018, 06:20 AM
I'm with OP "lowest cost compatible" and change the chain on the basis of miles/calendar.. I had snapped a sedis sport in BMX, don't want to do that ever again, also was an "unintentional beta tester" of the Campagnolo off road stuff with the Rohloff chain, $100 at the time in the early 90s, never again, too stiff, the more flexible ones work better.

oldpotatoe
01-30-2018, 06:27 AM
I'm with OP "lowest cost compatible" and change the chain on the basis of miles/calendar.. I had snapped a sedis sport in BMX, don't want to do that ever again, also was an "unintentional beta tester" of the Campagnolo off road stuff with the Rohloff chain, $100 at the time in the early 90s, never again, too stiff, the more flexible ones work better.

Yup-Rohloff makes the best chain tester but their chains..yowser..early days of Campag 8s ERGO, Rohloff chains..BIG BUX..poor work..

R3awak3n
01-30-2018, 06:28 AM
I always use kmc but on this future etap build Ingot a red22 chain, was cheap so decided to try it. Looks like I will get 3 hours and 25 minutes out of that chain lol

El Chaba
01-30-2018, 06:49 AM
The Wippermann stainless chains have a history of breakage. Maybe they got that remedied. However, the "nickel plated" 10 speed chain (whatever the model #) is my favorite chain for use with Campy 10 speed. VERY long lasting and the Wippermann quick link is the best in the business so the chain can be removed for thorough cleaning when needed. I check my chains regularly with a gauge and replace very early so as to prolong cog life. When new, a Wippermann chain is a little noisy which can be disconcerting. They quiet down after about 100 miles.

kppolich
01-30-2018, 09:17 AM
If there one thing I have learned in all my years of buying bike $hit is I will always pay a premium for durability. Lightweight stuff not so much.

But does it run smooth, quiet, and low rolling resistance? Not that the 3 are related but wouldn't you rather buy 2-3 chains that performed better but had shorter life spans compared to one tank of a chain that didn't perform as well but lasted longer for the same price?

That being said I love the Wipperman quick links, run them on all my bikes. I wish the test would have gone further in to performance and sound.

bigbill
01-30-2018, 10:16 AM
The Wippermann stainless chains have a history of breakage. Maybe they got that remedied. However, the "nickel plated" 10 speed chain (whatever the model #) is my favorite chain for use with Campy 10 speed. VERY long lasting and the Wippermann quick link is the best in the business so the chain can be removed for thorough cleaning when needed. I check my chains regularly with a gauge and replace very early so as to prolong cog life. When new, a Wippermann chain is a little noisy which can be disconcerting. They quiet down after about 100 miles.

Yup, when I was riding campy 10 all the time I never used a campy chain. I was using Wipperman Stainless until they had the cracking problems which I had personal experience with. I switched to the nickel chains and mostly used the rebranded Mavic nickel chains which were Wipperman. They worked great, lots of life out of those. Since going 11 speed campy in late 2008, I use campy chains and the expensive tool I bought almost 10 years ago. My gravel bike is Ultegra 11, I was going to order a new chain this week anyway, I think that one is approaching 3000 miles, on gravel.

Mark McM
01-30-2018, 10:38 AM
to make the testing fair it should be 3 categories

solid links and pins
hollow pins solid links
hollow pins hollow links

And test each version in those available. But then again, doing a test like that would mean Wipperman wouldn't be able to say they won overall.

Why should hollow pins or hollow links make a difference? Chains wear due to erosion of contact surfaces, and the hollowed out portions are not contact surfaces.

cdimattio
01-30-2018, 11:23 AM
Why should hollow pins or hollow links make a difference? Chains wear due to erosion of contact surfaces, and the hollowed out portions are not contact surfaces.

I had the understanding chain elongation occurs from wear to the pins and bushings.

Mark McM
01-30-2018, 12:22 PM
I had the understanding chain elongation occurs from wear to the pins and bushings.

Some claim that bushing wear is also significant in elongation. In any case, the test results in the linked article actually show that the tested chains with hollow pins and links did better. The 2nd best chain (after the Wipperman) was a Campagnolo Record chain with hollow pins and links; the KMC X11SL (with hollow pins and links) did better than the KMC X11-93 (with solid pins and links); the Shimano HG-901 (with hollow pins) did better than the Shiman HG-701 and HG-600 (with solid pins).

jemoryl
01-30-2018, 03:00 PM
Some claim that bushing wear is also significant in elongation. In any case, the test results in the linked article actually show that the tested chains with hollow pins and links did better. The 2nd best chain (after the Wipperman) was a Campagnolo Record chain with hollow pins and links; the KMC X11SL (with hollow pins and links) did better than the KMC X11-93 (with solid pins and links); the Shimano HG-901 (with hollow pins) did better than the Shiman HG-701 and HG-600 (with solid pins).

Maybe, just maybe, the hollow pin design requires the use of a harder pin to compensate for loss of material? I'm pretty happy with the KMC X10.93 chains (which can be had for around $20) or Campy with a KMC quick link; the Wipperman stainless doesn't seem to be worth the extra $$.

mt2u77
01-30-2018, 04:22 PM
I always go for the cheapest compatible chain and replace them at a much more frequent interval than I know I would if it was a $90 chain.

muz
01-30-2018, 04:27 PM
Maybe, just maybe, the hollow pin design requires the use of a harder pin to compensate for loss of material? I'm pretty happy with the KMC X10.93 chains (which can be had for around $20) or Campy with a KMC quick link; the Wipperman stainless doesn't seem to be worth the extra $$.

Simple, higher end chains could afford the extra machining and also the hardened pins. Sort of like this: when you look at new cars, quality of the leather will correlate with the top end speed :banana:

jemoryl
01-30-2018, 04:31 PM
Simple, higher end chains could afford the extra machining and also the hardened pins. Sort of like this: when you look at new cars, quality of the leather will correlate with the top end speed :banana:

I always wondered if that was really the case with chains or if they were just playing on the vanity of cyclists who wanted to shave a few grams. There are a lot of weight weenie parts that are not particularly strong or long-lasting. A test not carried out by a manufacturer with better statistics would be more interesting.

Clancy
01-31-2018, 05:12 PM
I always use kmc but on this future etap build Ingot a red22 chain, was cheap so decided to try it. Looks like I will get 3 hours and 25 minutes out of that chain lol

My first and only Red chain was back in the 10S days. That chain lasted a few days it seemed. Same for Red cassettes.

Waste of money

With this talk of chains, who makes the OEM chains?

I’ve been using Shimano Ultegra chains for the last 6-8 years or so, with a pin.

Maybe time to go to a different brand and a masterlink?

cycle-spinner
01-31-2018, 10:18 PM
Campy on Campy has lasted way longer then a third party chain. I’ve tried at least 5 different chains. Sounds and feels better as well.