PDA

View Full Version : Stiff chain?

oldguy00
01-29-2018, 06:48 AM
Hi all, been wrenching on my own gear for 20+ years, so I feel stupid asking this one, but...
Just finished building up the Colnago EP I grabbed off ebay, Chorus 11 mechanical. New BB cups and all parts are in like new condition, and a new KMC 11 chain (have used these for years on my other bikes).

SO, before installing the chain, the cranks spin nicely by hand, as does the cassette/freehub on the wheel. With the chain installed, on the workstand it feels like there is a lot of resistance in the drivetrain. If I try to spin the cranks back, they maybe spin 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. The system just feels overly tight. The chain was sized according to instructions, if anything might be a link or 2 longer than needed to accommodate a 28 cassette. Chain line seems OK, and it doesn't really feel any different regardless of what gear I put it in, and the shifting is tuned fine. Chain is also not rubbing the front der., nor any part of the rear der that I can see. I've tried adjusting the b-screw to multiple positions, no change.

I have the bike in a fairly cool basement...is it possible the new waxy coating on the chain is causing it to be overly 'stiff' feeling? The only thing I can think of to try, maybe tonight if I have time, is to clean the original coating off the chain and just put some normal oil lube on it....

Thx!

oldpotatoe
01-29-2018, 06:51 AM
Hi all, been wrenching on my own gear for 20+ years, so I feel stupid asking this one, but...
Just finished building up the Colnago EP I grabbed off ebay, Chorus 11 mechanical. New BB cups and all parts are in like new condition, and a new KMC 11 chain (have used these for years on my other bikes).

SO, before installing the chain, the cranks spin nicely by hand, as does the cassette/freehub on the wheel. With the chain installed, on the workstand it feels like there is a lot of resistance in the drivetrain. If I try to spin the cranks back, they maybe spin 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. The system just feels overly tight. The chain was sized according to instructions, if anything might be a link or 2 longer than needed to accommodate a 28 cassette. Chain line seems OK, and it doesn't really feel any different regardless of what gear I put it in, and the shifting is tuned fine. Chain is also not rubbing the front der., nor any part of the rear der that I can see. I've tried adjusting the b-screw to multiple positions, no change.

I have the bike in a fairly cool basement...is it possible the new waxy coating on the chain is causing it to be overly 'stiff' feeling? The only thing I can think of to try, maybe tonight if I have time, is to clean the original coating off the chain and just put some normal oil lube on it....

Thx!

Chain not outside little tab on rear der rather than through it?

oldguy00
01-29-2018, 06:52 AM
Chain not outside little tab on rear der rather than through it?

Nope! Checked that too, as I've done that before. :)

oldpotatoe
01-29-2018, 06:54 AM
Nope! Checked that too, as I've done that before. :)

Wipe the chain down with a little WD-40(solvent)...could be the gook they put on it(actually a preservative/rust inhibitor-chains 'come over' via ship lots of times)...

oldguy00
01-29-2018, 06:55 AM
Wipe the chain down with a little WD-40(solvent)...could be the gook they put on it(actually a preservative/rust inhibitor-chains 'come over' via ship lots of times)...

That's what I'm thinking, that combined with 55F temp in my basement, maybe need to get that stuff off of there..

josephr
01-30-2018, 05:42 PM
I've had a chain or two from KMC that felt tight right out of the box...was re-lubing the chain every 50 miles for the first 200, then finding I could go bit longer b/t cleaning/lube treatments. Assuming its shifting/tracking properly and you've triple-checked for a twist or bent links.