PDA

View Full Version : please help value this Serotta (now with more pics)

josephr
01-28-2018, 09:12 PM
I am trying to get more information on this Serotta....it belongs to a former NY state track champion and is fitted with a complete 7700 group (with the 54T DA chainring.) and Zipp 404 wheels (early edition). I have no idea about the geo, but it looks on the smaller side of things by looking at the headtube.

Obviously it has the original F1 fork and the killer chainring has some shark-toothing. Any thoughts or guestimations on value?
Thanks...
Joe

PS: I don't know the owner, and no interest in the bike personally. I do know the owner is looking to sell. ;)

dave thompson
01-28-2018, 09:19 PM
The serial number stamped underneath on the bottom bracket, will have the model code and production number, from which an educated guess could be made for year of manufacture.

bicycletricycle
01-28-2018, 09:25 PM
1k maybe

Frame and fork about 550

Group is pretty beat up and those wheels could be a death trap

cmg
01-28-2018, 10:53 PM
sold my legend ti frame with f1 fork for $1200 last summer. i tossed in a 1 inch all carbon fork i had with it.

cycle-spinner
01-28-2018, 11:16 PM
Value is the frame only and maybe the fork. I’d sell at $1000. A complete restore on the frame would be about $300-$500. Depending the information condition, a repaint. Similar frames move pretty well depending on condition.

ultraman6970
01-28-2018, 11:25 PM
54/55 center to top? That the dude is a track NY champion wont carry that much add value to it to be honest, besides the fact that has a looot of miles for sure.

I would say 750 range for the f/f/headset... in parts you have an old 9 speed group in there??? not a lot for that.

IMO if you get like 1200 just grab the money and run.

IN some cases is better sell the thing in parts, you might get 300 bucks for the group? no idea about those wheels, carbon rims life expectancy isnt that long and thats why somebody said death trap.

ldamelio
01-29-2018, 05:19 AM
Slightly OT, but carbon rims don't have an especially limited life expectancy - if anything, will last longer than alloy as brake track wear is minimal and fatigue life is longer. I do agree that these particular wheels are bobos as they are just a carbon fairing on an alloy rim - heavy and not super aero by contemporary standards.

Dave M
01-29-2018, 07:26 AM
If you got $600 frame, $1,000 complete, that'd be about right. Tatty components/wheels hold back the overall value.

cmg
01-29-2018, 07:59 AM
make more in selling it in pieces than complete

bicycletricycle
01-29-2018, 08:03 AM
Slightly OT, but carbon rims don't have an especially limited life expectancy - if anything, will last longer than alloy as brake track wear is minimal and fatigue life is longer. I do agree that these particular wheels are bobos as they are just a carbon fairing on an alloy rim - heavy and not super aero by contemporary standards.

Those carbon fairing glued onto an aluminum rim zips used to fail a lot.