PDA

View Full Version : look pedals

kkasper4
10-01-2006, 09:50 PM
I've been a long time speedplay user, but I've decided to give a pedal a try with a larger platform. Any thoughts on the differences between the look keo vs the look cx-7 pedal? Thanks.

yim
10-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Keo is the lowest stack height Look Pedal and lighter than CX-7.

Q factor can be adjusted on CX-7.

znfdl
10-02-2006, 06:46 AM
I switched from Speedplay to Look Keo and have enjoyed the Keos since day 1.

scpknees
10-02-2006, 08:14 AM
check out roadbikereview.com. Many keo users have been dissapointed.

Erik.Lazdins
10-02-2006, 08:21 AM
I rode Speedplay X2 pedals for a long time and went to Look Keo about a year ago. They are great and don't load up in dirt should you need to walk some.

The bonus of the Keo is that you can replace the cleats 3 times for the price of one full speedplay cleat setup.

zap
10-02-2006, 10:09 AM
I had CX-7 pedals for a spell. The adjustments were sort of neat at first, then I figured what's the point. Then they squeaked. Too many parts. Sold them.

I've been riding Keo's for the past two years and they have been great. Stack height is 8-10 mm lower.

telenick
10-02-2006, 11:07 AM
I have cx-7s too. I agree with Zap. They're kinda figity. I broke the plastic part that sets the Q. Valtec quickly sent me plenty of replacements.

I had X-1s for a while. I didn't like the minimalist platform and heavy/bulky cleat. I probably need to drink more tri guy Kool-Aid and try again.

cx-7s also have parts to set forefoot varus and forefoot valgus. As a long time ski guy and many time boot fitter, insole maker, custom liner foam hed, I believe that this is one of the better aspects of the cx-7. But it could also be a matter of too much ski guy Kool-Aid too.

Simple wedges between the cleat and shoe sole will accomplish the same thing. I think the LeWedge is the most common cycling component for this.

Pray for powder.

dgauthier
10-02-2006, 02:33 PM
If you're looking for a bigger platform, please be advised the platform on my Time Impact's is huge. I have very broad, Fred Flintstone-like feet, and the entire ball of my foot is supported. I haven't tried the RXS version, but the feel is supposed to be similar or better.

I would also point out that Time pedals are the only other (widely available) pedal that has a stack height comparable to your Speedplays.

Ken Robb
10-02-2006, 03:47 PM
I couldn't tell what platform size pedal I was using when I had Carnac road shoes with carbon soles so I don't get this discussion. I now ride the softest Shimano MO20 mtn. shoes and I do notice a slight difference between eggbeaters and my old S737 Shimanos but it isn't worth changing anything one way or the other.

Are those ofn you who can feel platform size riding in less than the stiffest road shoes? Maybe at 200 pounds I'm too light and weak to flex the soles enough?

Avispa
10-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Talking about stack heights, does anyone know the sizes of the Look Keos and the Time RXS?

Thanks!

kkasper4
10-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the info, I think I'm going to give the keo a try.

Why the new pedals? I'm building up a new frame and I wanted to try something different. The speedplays I've been using are the X-1's with unrestricted float. My favorite thing to do on a bike is climb, and I really like climbing out of the saddle. The unrestricted free float of the X-1's didn't always give me the sense of firm footing I would like when out of the saddle. I could've tried the zero's, but that's still buying new pedals/cleats. Why look? I guess you could say vanity. I'm putting look handlebars, stem, and seatpost on the frame, so I figured the pedals would be a nice match for the bike. From what I've read, I can't see that there is a big difference between the look and time pedals.

wasfast
10-02-2006, 08:46 PM
I've had probably 5-6 different Look pedal series. I have the Keo's (carbon/steel spindle....don't waste money on the ti spindle model IMO) on my dry bike. I bought them last summer and have had ZERO issues with them. They definitely don't have the squeak issues of the older Looks.

Look's solution for the older Looks was the Delta cleat with Teflon inserts on the attach points. Problem is, the squeak is always caused by the contact patch in the MIDDLE of the cleat from my experience.

Big Dan
10-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Amazing, never thought I hear the phrase "I'm going back to Look pedals".....

Only with black cleats and a gun to my head........

:eek:

Ray
10-03-2006, 06:20 AM
Amazing, never thought I hear the phrase "I'm going back to Look pedals".....

Only with black cleats and a gun to my head........

:eek:
I keep trying other stuff and KEEP coming back to Looks. They can be a PIA with the squeaking (pre Keo) and not very walkable cleats, but there's something about the platform and the float that just works for me in a way that nothing else does. If they could figure out how to make the cleat more walkable without needing to carry cleat covers around (like Time RXS and Shimano) and still maintain the feel of the current pedal, I'd buy a lifetime supply.

-Ray

Too Tall
10-03-2006, 06:43 AM
Too much precision can be a bad thing and many pedal systems are examples of such. Look pedals are kind to your body because of the amt and type of "slop" and very easy to setup.

Also, look has roots as a sports binding company and they understand how important it is to release your foot in the event of a crash. *BONUS* Look red cleats will shatter if you yank them very very hard..that is a good thing.

"Platform" per se is misunderstood often when folks look at the pedal. You need to look at the pedal, cleat and shoe. Speedplay have a HUGE platform...due to the cleat.

Sum of the parts is what you are looking at...and me babbling ;)

zap
10-03-2006, 08:37 AM
*BONUS* Look red cleats will shatter if you yank them very very hard..that is a good thing.

?

yim
10-03-2006, 08:53 AM
Talking about stack heights, does anyone know the sizes of the Look Keos and the Time RXS?

Thanks!

Information of different pedal system there.

orbea65
10-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Speedplay have a HUGE platform...due to the cleat.

Sum of the parts is what you are looking at...

Not saying you are wrong, but why do so many people complain of side to side rocking of the foot with speedplays? Do the cleats wear out right away, causing the play?

I too am one that has tried many pedals, and right now am again back to the Look PP396's. IMHO, I think stack height is over-rated anyway. Jalabert, etc., was doing just fine a few years ago on PP396's...