PDA

View Full Version : Off the grid riding? (Mostly) Battery powered devices.

Cicli
01-28-2018, 07:27 AM
Who rides bare? No lights, no computer, no nothing. We used to do it and never died. I have had all that crap and never charged any of it so it never got used. Phone, yes lights and computer, no. I was just looking at a bike here. Computer, two lights and two cameras. How much crap does one need to ride a bike?
Oh, electronic shifting isnt even factored in.
I cant be the only one who thinks like this.

sokyroadie
01-28-2018, 07:34 AM
Me too.
Ditched the computer years ago and don't miss it a bit. Do carry a phone in my pocket. All mechanical rim brake road/cross bikes.:hello:

R3awak3n
01-28-2018, 07:42 AM
Who rides bare? No lights, no computer, no nothing. We used to do it and never died. I have had all that crap and never charged any of it so it never got used. Phone, yes lights and computer, no. I was just looking at a bike here. Computer, two lights and two cameras. How much crap does one need to ride a bike?

A lot of people that ride with cameras have been victims of hit and runs. Happens a lot lately and cameras have caught people.

I don't usually ride with cameras or lights (unless I am going to ride at night, then its dumb to not ride with lights). I did have a light camera that I commuted in NYC with.

As far as computer, I like my computer, it has helped me find some awesome routes I would have never found without it.

Ti Designs
01-28-2018, 07:44 AM
When it's dark, lights are a pretty good idea...

Other than having more hours to ride because of good lighting, nothing about my riding has changed much in the past 30 years.

Cicli
01-28-2018, 07:46 AM
A lot of people that ride with cameras have been victims of hit and runs. Happens a lot lately and cameras have caught people.

I don't usually ride with cameras or lights (unless I am going to ride at night, then its dumb to not ride with lights). I did have a light camera that I commuted in NYC with.

As far as computer, I like my computer, it has helped me find some awesome routes I would have never found without it.

I guess not riding in the city minimizes the need for cameras? Or maybe not. My riding is pretty rural.

Here is a shot from my back porch. Not too much traffic and lots of bikes. Cars and trucks are really good with the bikes. And there is alot of them out here.

oldpotatoe
01-28-2018, 08:00 AM

Yer not. This time of year I ride my wet weather Moots mostly...no nuthin except for a wee blinky rear light after being dusted off by a lady in a van, 'lo siento mucho'...I was in a bike lane. BUT no computer(either bike), no cameras, no big screens on handlebar, etc...Got a phone in my back pocket but don't look at it. No thanks...don't even have index, Hebel Schalthebel...:)

And yes, I was hit from behind by a lady in a Dodge Dakota P/U truck at 10:30 on a Saturday morning..a brass band on my bike wouldn't have made any difference, she was asleep when she hit me.

R3awak3n
01-28-2018, 08:03 AM
I guess not riding in the city minimizes the need for cameras? Or maybe not. My riding is pretty rural.

Here is a shot from my back porch. Not too much traffic and lots of bikes. Cars and trucks are really good with the bikes. And there is alot of them out here.

yeah, I get it. I am now upstate new york and don't ride with cameras. Knock on wood but so far drivers for the most part have been VERY respectful up here. I also try to ride on very little traffic areas and that really helps.

As far as lights, I actually saw someone on a recumbent a couple of days ago and he has a front light that was so bright it blinded us during the day ah

Cicli
01-28-2018, 08:08 AM
yeah, I get it. I am now upstate new york and don't ride with cameras. Knock on wood but so far drivers for the most part have been VERY respectful up here. I also try to ride on very little traffic areas and that really helps.

As far as lights, I actually saw someone on a recumbent a couple of days ago and he has a front light that was so bright it blinded us during the day ah

Those rolling lawn chair bents need lights. Some of them are real close to the road.

unterhausen
01-28-2018, 08:17 AM
putting dyno lights on my bikes has been very freeing. If I feel like riding an extra 3 hours and it's getting dark, no problem. Or more likely, I'll start out on a ride that will definitely take me until after dark, whereas in the past I wouldn't have ridden. In the past, I dangerously and illegally rode home in the dark without lights many times. I have no idea why one would do such a thing with the lights we have now. I always "knew" I would be home before dark.

I usually ride with a phone which I rarely use, and a SPOT tracker. I have a gps, but I don't use it most of the time because it's annoying. If I'm out exploring by myself, it seems prudent to be able to call for help if it's needed.

ergott
01-28-2018, 08:23 AM
Yawn!

http://www.pennyfarthingclub.com/
http://www.pennyfarthingclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/penny-farthings-waterloo-bridge.jpg

weisan
01-28-2018, 08:24 AM
Met a chap at the rest stop yesterday. I complimented on his setup. He's got everything. The whole nine yards.

Phone holder
Bluetooth speaker
Light
Computer
Battery pack

Cicli
01-28-2018, 08:26 AM
Met a chap at the rest stop yesterday. I complimented on his setup. He's got everything. The whole nine yards.

Phone holder
Bluetooth speaker
Light
Computer
Battery pack

I will go the other way any time and every time someone shows up with a speaker on their bike. RAGBRAI is the only exception. Thats not really a bike ride though. More like a pub crawl we ride bikes in.

oldpotatoe
01-28-2018, 08:30 AM

Phone holder
Bluetooth speaker
Light
Computer
Battery pack

what a surprise,no camera? Fail!!...Forgot this I guess...

unterhausen
01-28-2018, 09:02 AM
I was riding with a couple of guys in the middle of the night. It was dead quiet. I kept hearing this weird sound, which I eventually identified as Morrissey. Turns out one of the guys I had been riding with all day had a bluetooth speaker in a bag on his top tube.

peanutgallery
01-28-2018, 09:48 AM
One of my major beliefs is that most situations in life have an appropriate Morrissey-ism. This actually has many, so here goes one:

This Night Has Opened My Eyes

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=0ahUKEwjJ16H6gPvYAhVB6lMKHahlD2wQxa8BCCUwAA&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

I was riding with a couple of guys in the middle of the night. It was dead quiet. I kept hearing this weird sound, which I eventually identified as Morrissey. Turns out one of the guys I had been riding with all day had a bluetooth speaker in a bag on his top tube.

FlashUNC
01-28-2018, 09:53 AM
Anyone do bare living? The first people lived in caves and in trees. I don't get why we need houses.

AngryScientist
01-28-2018, 10:03 AM
just like other skills in life - some people are just gifted with a natural ability for sense of direction.

not me! i'm no good with directions at all, and having a gps based computer with maps has opened up lots of new routes and taken the stress of trying to pre-plan and memorize a route out of the equation.

so for me, modern gps computers have made a very real impact on how much more i enjoy bike riding and exploring new routes.

plus, i'm a born engineer and like data. i dont even necessarily DO anything with the data, but i like to be able to review what a did sometimes post ride sitting in front of the computer.

it's nice to have the option, for sure.

Cicli
01-28-2018, 10:10 AM
Anyone do bare living? The first people lived in caves and in trees. I don't get why we need houses.

Use he same logic to justify electric bikes?

gdw
01-28-2018, 12:20 PM
I only have a computer on one mtb because I lead multiday backcountry tours and have to be able to tell other riders how far it is to the next turn, water source, or campsite. Lights are only put on the bike for planned night rides. I use a map and compass or terrain features to navigate instead of a GPS unit. Cameras are for the paranoid. Now get off my lawn.

NHAero
01-28-2018, 12:51 PM
I have a Fly6 camera so here on MV when I get run over from behind by the landscape truck/trailer or the texting summer person in their Suburban my wife will know who killed me.

I had a opportunity for a brief presentation early in the summer with the monthly All-Island police chiefs gathering and I showed a 10 second clip of a box truck barely missing me. They were pretty glued to the screen. It's the only way we will ever get action from law enforcement, is to show video evidence.

R3awak3n
01-28-2018, 01:02 PM
just like other skills in life - some people are just gifted with a natural ability for sense of direction.

not me! i'm no good with directions at all, and having a gps based computer with maps has opened up lots of new routes and taken the stress of trying to pre-plan and memorize a route out of the equation.

so for me, modern gps computers have made a very real impact on how much more i enjoy bike riding and exploring new routes.

plus, i'm a born engineer and like data. i dont even necessarily DO anything with the data, but i like to be able to review what a did sometimes post ride sitting in front of the computer.

it's nice to have the option, for sure.

I am a huge data nerd too. That is why I have a power meter, I don't really get any real use out of a PM but man I love looking at data. HR data, cadence, ect. Its very interesting to me. We are nerds and there is NOTHING wrong with that

CMiller
01-28-2018, 01:38 PM
Whatever makes your ride more enjoyable. I like seeing at night and cars seeing me, so yes, lights.

FlashUNC
01-28-2018, 02:10 PM
Use he same logic to justify electric bikes?

And maybe a rear camera light or cellphone would have made that "Who killed Ottavia Bottechia?" mystery moot.

HenryA
01-28-2018, 04:32 PM
Blinky light on the back. Nothing else for maybe 20 years. Literally. I may have carried a cell phone a dozen times during that period. I love being free from constant contact.

taz-t
01-28-2018, 04:58 PM

Maybe because we live beyond age 30?

Personally, I like indoor plumbing.

El Chaba
01-28-2018, 06:10 PM
I have always hated bike computers. I had an Avocet something or another back in the day to use the speedometer function for time trialing, but other than that, no. something about "human powered vehicle" and batteries has never settled with me. I have to confess to taking an amount of pleasure when I see the electronic cycling devices of other riders fail and they seem confused as to whether or not they can continue riding....