PDA

View Full Version : Egg beaters - pals still like em'?

weisan
01-27-2018, 09:38 PM
I am a SPD guy. No complaints.

Thinking of trying these out, just out of curiosity.

FlashUNC
01-27-2018, 09:39 PM
Only place Egg Beaters belong:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4c/Dumpster-non.JPG/220px-Dumpster-non.JPG

weisan
01-27-2018, 09:40 PM
Flash pal, I have always appreciated your truth-telling impulse.

Cicli
01-27-2018, 09:41 PM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4c/Dumpster-non.JPG/220px-Dumpster-non.JPG

Exactly. Crank Bros are garbage.
People like to chime in about their warranty being so good. Doesn't do much good when they crap out 50 miles from home or out on the ragbrai route.

AngryScientist
01-27-2018, 09:45 PM
IMO, the only advantage crank bros pedals have is their ability to shed mud, in EXTREME situations.

other than that - they are garbage, in my experience.

unterhausen

that's not right, they don't belong in a dumpster.

They should be recycled.

Drmojo
I have them on 4 bikes
Lots of hate for Crank Bros pedals
I love ‘em
Only 2 Keo bikes left
I hate the duck walk of most “road pedals”
Plus I have the dual sided versions on 2 town bikes-flat on one side, clip in on the other.

Then again Flash hates everthing

ElHardeen
01-27-2018, 09:46 PM
Well, they're pretty light, and if you're up for servicing them every other ride they can even last for a couple months.

weisan
01-27-2018, 09:47 PM
What 'bout this cute looking thingy?

FlashUNC
01-27-2018, 09:48 PM
Flash pal, I have always appreciated your truth-telling impulse.

If you want to try the ideas behind the Egg Beater in a pedal that actually works, get some Time ATACs.

weisan
01-27-2018, 09:49 PM
Right.

I would like to.

Hopefully someday.

Cicli
01-27-2018, 09:51 PM

Yeah, no either. Bebop, dumb name too boot.
Problem is if something happens out on the road you cant fix it. Everyone has Shimano and Look. I will just stick to what works and can be found anywhere in an emergency.

kppolich
01-27-2018, 09:52 PM
Have egg beaters on both cross bikes. 3 seasons no issues. Regular service and smooth riding. Cheap, minimal, easy to service.

Cicli
01-27-2018, 09:52 PM
If you want to try the ideas behind the Egg Beater in a pedal that actually works, get some Time ATACs.

They are nice. Amazing because their road pedals might as well be crank bros.

weisan
01-27-2018, 10:01 PM
http://www.jensonusa.com/globalassets/product-images---all-assets/time/pe241a01.jpg

FlashUNC
01-27-2018, 10:02 PM
They are nice. Amazing because their road pedals might as well be crank bros.

Had nothing but great luck with the latest gen Xpressos. Looking forward to the new XPros as well.

cycle-spinner
01-27-2018, 10:06 PM
Swapped to Shimano. Much better.

pasadena
01-27-2018, 11:04 PM
I ran SPD on mtb and cx, Shimano road
Swapped everything to Eggbeaters years ago and it's great. Never had a problem with them.

One pedal I noticed some play and Crank Bros rebuilt the pair for free.
I have 5 pairs right now.

Ken Robb
01-27-2018, 11:41 PM
I like them and have never had a problem with them. Folks complain that the cleats wear fast but that is by designe: let the brass cleats wear (they are disposable) while the steel clamps on the pedals last a LONG time. I also like SPD and Wellgo SPD copies.

I gave up on carbon-soled road shoes and road pedals because I ride to places where I get off and walk around.

ojingoh
01-28-2018, 02:06 AM
Hated 'em. Hard on my knees, inconsistent clip in and release.
I jumped on the bandwagon and went with a platform pedal (Drillium.)

weisan
01-28-2018, 06:16 AM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcSoEWCltPad6C_jRAlmBc_ON_-te_zN5UChi9w-e7--7FVBzwIV_VRQ7ziEMg_k_7U9WeVgk&usqp=CAE

Cicli
01-28-2018, 06:17 AM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcSoEWCltPad6C_jRAlmBc_ON_-te_zN5UChi9w-e7--7FVBzwIV_VRQ7ziEMg_k_7U9WeVgk&usqp=CAE

Have you ridden thes?
Just wondering whats the difference between these and other mountain like flats. Or something like MKS.

weisan
01-28-2018, 06:18 AM
https://cyclingmagazine.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/time_xpro.jpg

oldpotatoe
01-28-2018, 06:30 AM

Agree..in the shop we were 'talked' into trying them..after the 3rd warranty and the 'really? Never heard of that before' from the fools at crank bros..dropped them. 'crank' appropriate name.

simplemind
01-28-2018, 08:03 AM

What he said!

Hey Pal, are you getting into MTB, or are you there already? Either way I'll offer this advice... start with flats. Your body parts will thank you for it. If you're just doing XC on relatively smooth terrain, the clipless is fine, but if you get into the gnarl, please start with flats.

That said, I really like the Crampon Ultimate (http://canfieldbrothers.com/components/pedals)s and have used them for the past 3 years. They are very low profile and grip like crazy, providing you use a proper shoe like the Five Tens.

A great trail out by where you live (Brushy Crk), and I go there frequently if you want ot meet up sometime.

djg21
01-28-2018, 08:34 AM
And I tried a set on a CX bike. I had nothing but problems with engagement, and wasn’t too excited about taking a dremel to my shoe sole to make more room for the cleat so it could engage and disengage without interference from the shoe’s lugs. After a few weeks, I went back to SPDs which just work out of the box.

trener1
01-28-2018, 08:55 AM
I have egg beaters on my MTB and Gravel bikes.
I have been using them on my MTB for a really long time, for MTB they are great, the 4 sided entry and mud shedding ability is great for the trails, only reason I have em on the gravel rig is because I use my MTB shoes on the gravel bike.
I have actually had a couple of pairs break out on the trail when I hit a rock while peddling (the actual piece of medal that hit the rock cracked) but the pedal was still functional on the 3 other sides so I was able to finish the ride no problem.
At the time I was using the low end cheap version, when I contacted Crank Bros. they told me that those "entry level" pedals used a cheaper type of medal that wasn't designed for technical MT Biking, seems like a bit of a copout, but in any case I replaced them with the one of the mid level models and many rock strikes later they are still going.

Seramount
01-28-2018, 09:14 AM
servicing pedals...?

huh? sounds like an unnecessary PITA...no thanks.

Ed-B
01-28-2018, 09:55 AM
After that food thread I was thinking..."Like these?"

weisan
01-28-2018, 10:05 AM
Disclaimer : please do NOT exceed intended use.

mflaherty37
01-28-2018, 10:53 AM
Had Eggbeaters, SPD and ATAC. I'm an ATAC guy for the wider lateral float plus it's vintage ish nostalgia. http://www.jensonusa.com/globalassets/product-images---all-assets/time/pe241a01.jpg

dbnm
01-28-2018, 11:23 AM
So I guess no one wants my Eggbeater 11 titanium pedals?

572cv
01-28-2018, 11:26 AM
I observe that different pedals work for different riders. Much of the issue seems to come from how the pedals play with the knees. I thought, and still think, that egg beaters were an elegant design. So I tried them. They did not work for me, or my knees. SPDs were ok. But the Time ATAC has been just right. All day comfort, great engagement, durable; a well thought out product. I have them on all my bikes now.

john903
01-28-2018, 06:39 PM
Wow, lots of bad experiences with egg beaters. I have a set of sl egg beaters from 2009. I have had zero problems with them and are just now needing a rebuild I have a kit for them all ready to go. I have set of candies from 2011 same thing no issues, I have rebuilt these it took about 20 minutes and now no problem. I have only replaced the cleats 3 times. I don't know maybe the older ones were better quality or they were just made on a good day. but I like them a lot. I use them on my commuter, gravel, and mountain bike. I use look Keo for the road bike.

SleepyCyclist
01-29-2018, 08:45 PM
Pedals (like all contact points) are really about personal preference. I've had CB EggBeaters for over 10 years with only one (recent) failure. If you look up failures for any pedal system (yes, even spds) - you'll find plenty.

I like being able to ride any shoe on any bike - so need a 2 bolt pedal system. Spd's just have too much vertical play for me. EggBeaters have been good for me in this regards and the newer ones can be tuned with contact sleeves. The newer ones are supposed to use more robust bearings too - time will tell.

CB has been around for a while. Seems plenty here have had bad experiences, but they have worked well for me.

weisan
01-29-2018, 08:58 PM
Appreciate comments from both sides.

I am gonna give it a try.

pasadena
01-29-2018, 09:38 PM
just a note - i use eggbeaters on my road shoes with the 3 hole cleat. Works great.

crankles
01-29-2018, 10:07 PM
I've got egg beaters on 3 CX bikes and an MTB. I've got quattros on two road bikes so no matter what shoes I have handy, I can ride. I've raced the egg beaters hard for many seasons of CX and rebuilt then a few time. I've had one pair explode on me in the past 6 or 7 years.

I prefer their release to Atacs and spds both of which I raced for several years.
For me it's egg beaters...and the new ones with igus bearing seem to be holding up well.

now, If I spent the majority of my time on MTB, I'd go spd. I've hit those things so hard on rocks that the rock broke not the pedal. A great pedal for sure.

weisan
01-29-2018, 10:15 PM
I've hit those things so hard on rocks that the rock broke not the pedal.

http://www.9e3k.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Hulk-vs-Loki-04.gif

spacemen3
01-29-2018, 10:31 PM
I settled on egg-beaters long ago, and I’ve not experienced any real issues. I spread my riding between too many bikes, so they certainly don’t wear quickly. I don’t miss SPD’s or skating in road shoes.

weisan
01-30-2018, 05:24 AM
They looked kinda cool on the Ti bike.

oldpotatoe
01-30-2018, 09:29 AM
They looked kinda cool on the Ti bike.

Campagnolo makes anything 'look cool'...doh!!:)

avalonracing
01-30-2018, 09:46 AM

They still couldn't get them right after ten tries?

jambee
01-30-2018, 10:16 AM
I have Egg beaters on 4 bikes. They are awesome. I have not been able to break them so far.

I love how much play they give my feet so yeh...egg beaters...

weisan
01-30-2018, 06:07 PM
Tried them on for 40 miles today. After mile 5 or so, I totally forgot they are there.

Took a bit of getting used to initially especially with the amount of play, coming from the standpoint of a SPD-SL user but once I get the hang of it, like I said, it's as if they were not even there. Clip in and clip out really easy...maybe a bit too easy.

chiasticon
01-31-2018, 07:11 AM
allegedly the newer ones are better and don't explode. I'm still afraid of them. I moved to ATAC's because the eggs creaked and didn't have as solid of a platform. I was also afraid of the exploding factor.

the only reason to actually consider riding these things is if you race cx in heavy mud frequently. and even then, you're better off investing money in a second bike and beer to bribe a friend with, so he can stand in the pit and keep your SPDs or ATACs clean.

if you're just riding them on a road bike, I'd say get SPD's since both pedal and cleat last forever and will give you no issues. the eggs MAY not strand you several miles from home; but if history is a guide, they will. the SPD's won't

pasadena
01-31-2018, 06:06 PM
wish my eggbeaters would explode. 10 years of no drama sucks

weisan
01-31-2018, 06:09 PM
Can I get a bit of help identifying the "type/model" of egg beaters I have, starting from left to right on this picture?

Thank you.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697953826&stc=1&d=1517110663

gdw
01-31-2018, 06:23 PM
allegedly the newer ones are better and don't explode. I'm still afraid of them. I moved to ATAC's because the eggs creaked and didn't have as solid of a platform. I was also afraid of the exploding factor.

Wow, you're a real risk taker. You should have gone directly to SPDs after risking having your feet blown off by those Eggbeaters since there are numerous threads on MTBR and elsewhere describing the catastrophic failure of the newer generations of ATACs. :banana:

Birddog
01-31-2018, 06:52 PM
Can I get a bit of help identifying the "type/model" of egg beaters I have, starting from left to right on this picture?

Thank you.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697953826&stc=1&d=1517110663
A precision scale and a magnet will help you out.

tumbler
01-31-2018, 07:12 PM

I had some of those (BeBops) for many years and loved them. I did a ton of city riding with them... clipping in/out a lot, walking around, stairs, etc. and they held up beautifully. I eventually wore one side down a bit and a slight squeak appeared, but they were due for replacement at that point anyways. I think they recently stopped producing them though, which is sad since I considered getting another pair.

https://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=132752

chiasticon
02-01-2018, 09:52 AM
Wow, you're a real risk taker. You should have gone directly to SPDs after risking having your feet blown off by those Eggbeaters since there are numerous threads on MTBR and elsewhere describing the catastrophic failure of the newer generations of ATACs. :banana:hah. unfortunately, I didn't read about the issue with the pins backing out until later. I've super-glued 'em all in now. so far, so good. but who knows...

I'd like to try SPD's, but I'm put off by the lack of mud clearance.

William
02-01-2018, 09:58 AM
Been riding EB's for a number of years on multiple bikes and I've never had any issues outside of one rebuild. Happened after riding for a couple years, rebuilt them and haven't had an issue since. I weigh in around 250 - 255 so there is that to consider as well.

YMMV :banana:

William

Saint Vitus
02-01-2018, 10:38 AM
Put me in the yes column, only clipless pedals I've used besides Speedplays and never an issue. Different bikes, different riding, always engaging to use :p

weisan
02-01-2018, 09:04 PM
A precision scale and a magnet will help you out.

care to elaborate?

rohan
02-01-2018, 09:15 PM
The pedal on the left is likely the best one, an Eggbeater 11 with titanium wings and possibly a titanium spindle, rebuildable with the current kit.

The second and fourth pedals are the same or very similar, versions of the Eggbeater 1, the lowest level pedal with stamped steel, but still rebuildable with the current kit.

The third pedal is the original Eggbeater pedal, about the same or better quality than the Eggbeater 1. The rebuild kit has been discontinued, though.

Thank you.

jtakeda
02-01-2018, 09:18 PM

I didn’t even bother reading the whole thread.

Flash said they’re garbage and then he said this.

This 100% sums up my experience with egg beaters.

Those little springs inside are so delicate I’d rather ride flat pedals

Gummee
02-02-2018, 09:40 AM
I rode ATACs for a lot of years. Then started racing CX and didn't like the gummy feeling of the release, so went SPD.

SPDs are great except for a few races/year, then I'd like to have the mud-clearing capabilities of the ATACs back. I'm likely to end up with another pair or two for the couple of mud races we get here in NoVA and just swap em on when needed.

As a mechanic, I don't have a lot of good things to say about the bushing system used on Crank Bros pedals. I'll leave it at that 'in public'

M

Birddog
02-02-2018, 10:34 AM
care to elaborate?

The lightest ones are likely the highest quality material (price$), the magnet tells you if it's mainly steel (lower price$).

spacemen3
02-02-2018, 11:54 AM
The third look like the stainless ones. Much better than the chromoly versions.

Vonruden
02-02-2018, 06:11 PM
Love em, on the road and in the dirt

weisan
02-18-2018, 08:50 AM
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4767/39429635995_71b7632e5e_k.jpg

semdoug
02-18-2018, 09:46 AM
I have been using Eggbeaters since roughly 2005 with zero failures. The only thing I have had to do is shoot grease into the pedals using the supplied fitting when the pedal starts feeling "gritty."

noonan1970
02-18-2018, 09:57 AM

Take them!!

chiasticon
02-19-2018, 07:57 AM
just had another friend have egg beaters explode on a ride. second set for her in the last six months.