PDA

View Full Version : What is the black thing on Spec bikes?

roguedog
01-27-2018, 12:05 AM
Ok.. I keep seeing this and keep wondering but I'm not looking to buy so I tell myself I don't really care.. 'cept I keep seeing 'em and wondering the same the damn question. I give in.. can someone tell me what the heck is that thing on Specialized bikes that looks like a tool bag at the junction of the seat tube and the downtube sitting on the bottom bracket??

It only seems the plague certain models also..

Here's a sample pic:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-works-roubaix-sram-etap/p/134017?color=240099-134017

vqdriver
01-27-2018, 12:18 AM
Curious myself. Part of their swat system?? Dunno

JimmyTango
01-27-2018, 12:30 AM
It’s like a trunk. Ya know, for your luggage. Not kidding.

mcteague
01-27-2018, 06:22 AM
Its an integrated tool box.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/equipment/bike-accessories/swat-storage/c/swatstorage

Tim

Cicli
01-27-2018, 06:25 AM
Trunk.

In my opinion it is far better than some of these scrotum looking saddle bags some people run. :banana:

happycampyer
01-27-2018, 07:02 AM
It’s an integrated urinal for triathletes.

oldpotatoe
01-27-2018, 07:11 AM

'junk in trunk'....:eek:

Dirtdiggler
01-27-2018, 07:22 AM
storing your legal documents or asthma medicine

ultraman6970
01-27-2018, 08:20 AM
LOL, i was thinking in the samething :)

Dont know, but if you/they can manipulate the carbon pretty good, why not do something better like compartments in the top tube or something, that thing looks very bad, but is always a thing having a product to sell and there will be always somebody that will spend 10k in a bike like that also. Just amazing.

There is a waster bottle case for stuff, that is more appealing to me than this like electric bike battery thing.

bikeridah
01-27-2018, 09:21 AM
It's the motor.

I was told by spesh dealer clerk that they put it there in lieu of a saddle bag in order to lower the center of gravity...no joking.

CMiller
01-27-2018, 10:33 AM
I actually dig the quirky SWAT stuff, take the integration of custom randonneurs and let Specialized engineers take over haha

Honestly I'd love a keyed welded storage box on my steel city bike, less likely to get a tool or tube stolen (it happens)

vqdriver
01-27-2018, 11:23 AM
The SWAT idea is actually excellent. You've got these ginormous carbon tubes which are basically just empty space. Why not put a plastic door and utilize the inside? Some of those down tubes are big enough to fit a burrito. And to hide that door behind a bottle cage location like they do on mountain bikes seems far more pleasing to the eye then what they did in this instance.

pavel
01-27-2018, 12:19 PM
Wow, that is one hideous bike!!

adub
01-27-2018, 02:22 PM

"Catheter tubes sold separately"

Cicli
01-27-2018, 02:23 PM
"Catheter tubes sold separately"

Tri people dont use those. They just piss all over their bikes.

54ny77
01-27-2018, 02:34 PM
wow. ya know, i'd been giving thought to selling my older tarmac sl and trying something new. clicked on the specialized link above for first time in ages.

guess i must have missed the memo where the entry price jumped to 5 figures. :eek:

thank you. i think i'll continue to enjoy my older tarmac, which is probably 64.2% worse than the new one, but on the upside, it's likely 18.7% better than the model before mine, so there's that. ;)

roguedog
01-28-2018, 10:16 AM
Ah thanks guys. Mystery solved.

Interesting.. Reading into the SWAT stuff (had to look it up (https://www.specialized.com/us/en/stories/swat-technology)).

I assume then the black container can be removed if you wanted to stay traditional and keep the look cleaner? I'm not sure I'm into it but maybe it's just I need to get used to it. I was wondering if perhaps that's what it was since it looks like what Cervelo put on their p5x (https://www.cervelo.com/en/triathlon/p-series/p5x/engineering) but I couldn't get why they'd do that on a road bike.

Also for those frames that have the storage embedded in the frame, I have a "cool but huh?" reaction. Wouldn't that mean they'd have to reinforce the tubing around it thus adding weight and then having to adjust for the ride qualities as well?