PDA

View Full Version : A positive review of Sierratradingpost

weisan
01-26-2018, 08:06 PM
I have bought a bunch of stuff from SierraTradingPost in the past.

Swiftwick socks, Lowa hiking shoes, Smartwool, Camelbak water bottles...

If you are not too picky about sizes and colors and can tolerate a bit of blemishes but none that affects functionality, they offer them at more than 50% discount. And if you sign up for their newsletter, they will send you additional discount code that you can stack on top of their regular discount or get free shipping.

In summary, my past experience with them has always been positive.
An issue came up in my most recent purchase. I have mistakenly used an old shipping address that was attached to my account which I have failed to update . I wasn't aware of this mistake until later when the items were delivered. I contacted their customer service and they were nice enough to re-send another shipment no question asked, even though it was clearly my mistake.

I was greatly appreciative of their kind gesture and for going above and beyond to satisfy a customer.

The main reason for me to post this here is because we don't acknowledge nearly enough about the positive things that a company or business does, focusing too much on the negative, and our sense of entitlement.

Here's doing a small bit of my part to tilt the balance.

A link to their website
https://www.sierratradingpost.com

AngryScientist
01-26-2018, 08:17 PM
seconded.

they recently opened a brick and mortar store near me here in NJ, and it's a fun place to browse for some discounts.

Have done well with their online biz over the years too.

giordana93
01-26-2018, 08:20 PM
I've had a quite a few negative experiences, especially since the tjmaxx takeover, so in the name of balance, I'm gonna give a 'meh. as in deals are to be had, but my dealings with customer service--especially on returns--have been well below average. I give them a C overall

huck*this
01-26-2018, 08:23 PM
I purchase often from Sierra and love everything we have got. The great price is icing on the cake. Great quality and like you said great CS. Return shipping label comes with every purchase and you have 90 days to return no questions asked. Although I have not had to use it.

Their flannel sheets and down comforter are amazing! We have it on all of our beds in the house. They also have an extensive cycling section. If you haven't purchased from them you are missing out.

choke
01-26-2018, 08:25 PM
STP is one of my favorite stores....I've only had good service from them over the years.

jemoryl
01-26-2018, 08:55 PM
A good place to look for bargains, but they used to carry more cycling stuff in the past (e.g. I once bought some keenly priced Exteondo clothing and a Lazer helmet). They are now part of the TJ Maxx empire, IIRC.

Birddog
01-26-2018, 09:32 PM
I have been buying stuff from STP for 30+ years but not as much as I used to. Since TJ bought them out prices have gone up some, and selection doesn't seem to be quite as good. I have probably purchased at least 30 pairs of hiking shoes from them over the years, I use them for work. They used to be a good source for ski pants, haven't checked in a few years though.

pdmtong
01-26-2018, 09:49 PM
I've had a quite a few negative experiences, especially since the tjmaxx takeover, so in the name of balance, I'm gonna give a 'meh. as in deals are to be had, but my dealings with customer service--especially on returns--have been well below average. I give them a C overall

I have been buying stuff from STP for 30+ years but not as much as I used to. Since TJ bought them out prices have gone up some, and selection doesn't seem to be quite as good. I have probably purchased at least 30 pairs of hiking shoes from them over the years, I use them for work. They used to be a good source for ski pants, haven't checked in a few years though.

STP used to be one of my go to online retailers, starting way back when they had paper catalog with drawings of the items. in fact I bought some of my first road kit from them -p earl izumi blah blah blah...probably about ten years ago the selection diversity dwindled and more importantly, the prices became less and less compelling to the point where I do not even bother to look at their site any more.

pdmtong
01-26-2018, 09:52 PM
A good place to look for bargains, but they used to carry more cycling stuff in the past (e.g. I once bought some keenly priced Exteondo clothing and a Lazer helmet). They are now part of the TJ Maxx empire, IIRC.

in the past I too had bought exteondo, campagnolo, mavic, vittoria, giro, kaenon, sidi....from them at GREAT prices.

nmrt
01-26-2018, 09:56 PM
+1000
Used to shop at STP like an addict. Loved them.
Since the TJMaxx takeover last year (?), I have not bought a single thing from them. Prices have increased, they do not send out coupons, selection is not that great, and the shipping is pretty high. Additionally, they used to have great extra 20 - 40% off days. Not any more.

STP used to be one of my go to online retailers, starting way back when they had paper catalog with drawings of the items. in fact I bought some of my first road kit from them -p earl izumi blah blah blah...probably about ten years ago the selection diversity dwindled and more importantly, the prices became less and less compelling to the point where I do not even bother to look at their site any more.

weisan
01-26-2018, 10:09 PM
Appreciate the counter balance viewpoints, hope they listen to customer feedback and turn things around.

nmrt
01-26-2018, 10:10 PM
yep!
many years ago i bought a mavic cosmic carbone ultimate tubular wheelset for a great price. still miss those years when they had great brands and great prices.

in the past I too had bought exteondo, campagnolo, mavic, vittoria, giro, kaenon, sidi....from them at GREAT prices.

pdmtong
01-26-2018, 10:29 PM
I bought kaenon sunglasses. Various Arcteryx. Patagonia. Cycling clothes. Victorinox (the real stuff not the cheap Swiss army knock off) luggage. Michael Toschi shoes. Chaco sandals. Basically the range from active wear to regular wear plus kitchen and home. Like the hammock and stand I have.

Plenty of high end ultra high end stuff. Toschi shoes are $600+

I keep thinking there's something there but every time I look there is nothing there both item and price

henrypretz
01-26-2018, 10:42 PM
I miss their Red Ram merino wool base layers.

choke
01-27-2018, 12:04 AM
they do not send out couponsI still get lots of coupons. The last time I ordered from them, maybe 2 months ago, I had a 25% off code.

weaponsgrade
01-27-2018, 12:37 AM
I haven't bought anything from them in a long time, but I'm on a bit of a wool sock crusade right now. I've been using some of my wool cycling socks for general wear. They keep my feet nice and warm and I can wear them multiple times without them feeling gross. Which brands/weight level from STP do people recommend for every day wear?

MagicHour
01-27-2018, 01:14 AM
Got some good bargains in the past, but since TJMax takeover less cycling inventory then they used to, and what they do have is pretty standard fare PI and Canari stuff. B&M stores are cool though I’ve been to two locations in NY/NJ, saw a Castelli wool jersey for cheap, hope to find more stuff like that in the future.

jamesau
01-27-2018, 06:47 AM
Which brands/weight level from STP do people recommend for every day wear?

Mid or light weight merino blend socks as everyday/year-round wear. Point6 is my current favorite over Smartwool.

merlinmurph
01-27-2018, 07:47 AM
I guess I'm out of touch.

I didn't realize TJX bought them, even though TJX is a local company.
Also didn't realize we now have a brick and mortar STP at a local mall. Been there for awhile. We swung in and the wife picked up a cycling jersey. I'll have to take a better look sometime.

Gartenmeister
01-27-2018, 02:24 PM
+1000
Used to shop at STP like an addict. Loved them.
Since the TJMaxx takeover last year (?), I have not bought a single thing from them. Prices have increased, they do not send out coupons, selection is not that great, and the shipping is pretty high. Additionally, they used to have great extra 20 - 40% off days. Not any more.

I have also been an STP addict for many years. It used to be an incredible outfit. It is true that it has gone way downhill since the TJX takeover. I also bought nothing from STP for a period of time. However, while it is not what it once was I still find lots of things to buy; albeit mostly clothing.

A few notes on the new STP:

-Pricing is different now. They DO still send coupons, I get at least 2 every single day. They follow a fairly predicable schedule now, and the discount is not as high (only up to 25%). Supposedly everyday prices are lower than they used to be. They do make much greater use of "clearance" now too and the % discount can be very high.

-shipping is NOT high- it is free or .99 with virtually all the coupons...which come every day.

-the selection has changed. Very little high-end stuff anymore- gone are the $2k Italian shoes and Merckx frames. Very little in the way of nice dress clothes too- STP used to be awesome for this stuff. Reduced sporting equipment- the cycling category has suffered, but also camping, backpacking, etc. Instead there are lots of yoga pants, swimsuits, cheap home goods and dog accessories. I look at the "new items" every day. There is still a lot of stuff, but the selection is decidedly more mass market (and feminine?) and less enthusiast focused.

-returns are different now. Used to be anytime for any reason. Now it is 90 days on unused items only. This sucks, but I have adapted- I just immediately send back everything I am not 100% sure about. The net result for me is I return a lot more of what I purchase than I used to. Returns are still cheap ($7) and easy.

I still get most of my cycling clothing from STP....they often have Pearl, Mavic, Shimano, Castelli, Canari, etc. Latest was a pair of Lake MX228 (https://www.sierratradingpost.com/lake-cycling-mx228-mountain-bike-shoes-spd-for-men~p~329vd/)MTB shoes for $79 ($250 retail).

m_sasso
01-27-2018, 02:29 PM
Any one have any current coupons for STP they might be willing to pass along, considering purchasing a few things from them, shoes and a few T tops?

Thanks,

CunegoFan
01-27-2018, 05:21 PM
I have also been an STP addict for many years. It used to be an incredible outfit. It is true that it has gone way downhill since the TJX takeover. I also bought nothing from STP for a period of time. However, while it is not what it once was I still find lots of things to buy; albeit mostly clothing.

A few notes on the new STP:

-Pricing is different now. They DO still send coupons, I get at least 2 every single day. They follow a fairly predicable schedule now, and the discount is not as high (only up to 25%). Supposedly everyday prices are lower than they used to be. They do make much greater use of "clearance" now too and the % discount can be very high.

-shipping is NOT high- it is free or .99 with virtually all the coupons...which come every day.

-the selection has changed. Very little high-end stuff anymore- gone are the $2k Italian shoes and Merckx frames. Very little in the way of nice dress clothes too- STP used to be awesome for this stuff. Reduced sporting equipment- the cycling category has suffered, but also camping, backpacking, etc. Instead there are lots of yoga pants, swimsuits, cheap home goods and dog accessories. I look at the "new items" every day. There is still a lot of stuff, but the selection is decidedly more mass market (and feminine?) and less enthusiast focused.

-returns are different now. Used to be anytime for any reason. Now it is 90 days on unused items only. This sucks, but I have adapted- I just immediately send back everything I am not 100% sure about. The net result for me is I return a lot more of what I purchase than I used to. Returns are still cheap ($7) and easy.

I still get most of my cycling clothing from STP....they often have Pearl, Mavic, Shimano, Castelli, Canari, etc. Latest was a pair of Lake MX228 (https://www.sierratradingpost.com/lake-cycling-mx228-mountain-bike-shoes-spd-for-men~p~329vd/)MTB shoes for $79 ($250 retail).

You left out STP charges sales tax now.

buddybikes
01-27-2018, 05:36 PM
I was a loyal buyer for years, Christmas was basically few big boxes. I haven't gotten any 25% off and I was getting daily pushes from them for various stuff. I signed off, too much spam

cycle-spinner
01-27-2018, 10:10 PM
Great company. But way too much SPAM. Good luck.

Gartenmeister
01-28-2018, 08:09 AM
You left out STP charges sales tax now.

You are correct, I should have mentioned that. I forget because I live in a state with an actual STP store so have always had to pay tax.

mhespenheide
01-28-2018, 09:12 PM
Yah, echoing.

I started with STP back on paper catalogs with drawings. When I was living in Wyoming for graduate school, we'd go over to the main Cheyenne retail store every couple of months. Customer service used to be amazing; I returned a "windproof and breathable" running jacket (that wasn't actually too breathable) a year later with no questions asked... in fact, I was in the process of buying another one a year later when the cashier asked me about it, I explained the situation, and she encouraged me to return the first jacket. According to her, if you changed your mind on the color, they'd take it back. 40% off anything that wasn't already below 50% coupons used to come once or twice a month.

Since the buyout? Not as interested, not as interesting product. But then, I've also changed as a buyer and I'm no longer buying the basics gearing up for backpacking, camping, running, cycling, etc. I'm pickier about my stuff, so the selection isn't always what I'm looking for anyway. I guess I could sign up for their emails again, but I'm hoping I'm at a point where I'm buying less stuff overall anyway.

BikeNY
01-29-2018, 08:12 AM
Similar experience to a lot of others. I also started buying from them in the catalog and drawing days. I got mostly clothing and camping/outdoor stuff, as well as some cycling stuff, and could always find coupons for at least 30% off, often 35%. If you got lucky and they had what you wanted in your size, you could get amazing deals. Not so much anymore. Selection of good stuff is down, prices are up, and coupons are much harder to come by. Maybe I need to get on there email list again, as I don't get anything from them anymore. I still go to their website when shopping, but usually end up buying elsewhere.

likebikes
01-29-2018, 09:06 AM
haven't looked at their website in nearly a decade. do they still have all that overt religious stuff on there or has that changed post TJX buyout?

Ttx1
01-29-2018, 03:40 PM
Thanks a bunch, I just took a look and found a Mountain Hardware Ghost Pro shell for 66% off...

Used the app and paypal, and was not charged sales tax in MA, even though they have retail stores in MA as well as corp HQ... interesting.

Assortment changes, worth a look now and then. I've done really well with shorts and shirts for our semi-annual island trip, and the occasional cycling related purchase.

ariw
01-29-2018, 09:47 PM
Oddly enough, I just wore a pair of PI tights that I found for $30 on the clearance rack at TJMaxx over the summer. Almost forgot that I had them until it was hovering around 50 degrees.

Ari