PDA

View Full Version : 9spd chainrings on 11spd Campy?

d_douglas
01-26-2018, 04:57 PM
Hello,

I am toying with alternatives to a Campy crankset (don't ask me why) and another thought came up.

my LBS has a NOS 44t x 104BCD chainring for about $15 (because nobody would use this on an MTB anymore). Could I match this up with a 36t chainring and call it a day? My double could be a 44x36t x 104BCD?

FYI, the rings are 9spd mid level Raceface - nice stuff, but not XTR or similar.

Should I just skip this and buy someones used ultratorque cranks and be done with it? I have the 36t Campy ring, just need a 46t one as well.

Thanks!

dddd
01-26-2018, 05:27 PM
There are issues here firstly having to do with having a matched set of chainrings, so that the shifting behavior can be expected to work in a predictable manner.
Pairing rings of different brands definitely introduces some additional unpredictability to the result.

And there is the chain width consideration.
Usually with Shimano cranksets/chainrings, it is the smaller ring which determines what chain width is appropriate, so that a 39t ring intended for 10s use can be compatible with a 53t big ring that was intended for 8s or 9s use, here using a 10s chain.
With Campy rings, it's the big ring that determines chain width, and their rings are each stamped with the ring size it is to be paired with.
But in both cases, the rings should be of the same series for predictable operation, as with (mixed) Shimano 8s and 10s rings that can still actually both be of their "B" series (for 53-39t) or "A" series (for 53-42t).

I was finding Shimano 39t "B"-series chainrings with 10s width being sold very cheaply at one point, and I bought several, to be paired with any "B"-series 53t big ring.
I have yet to use these 10s small rings with 8s chain, but have used them with 9s and 10s chain with no issues to report.

ultraman6970
01-26-2018, 07:30 PM
Put 10 speed chainrings in a record c crankset paired to 11 chorus and worked just fine.

If you are in doubt u can try put a 10 speed chain in there with 11 speed cog, will work fine. Thing ive done aswell.

choke
01-26-2018, 08:17 PM
I've used a Record 9/10 crank on an 11sp drivetrain and it worked fine IMO. The big ring is a Stronglight and while it may shift slower than a matched set of pinned/grooved Campy rings it's not a big enough difference for me to notice.

The one problem I can see with your idea is that you'll be using a MTB crank so you'll probably have to play around with the BB length to get the chainline right...and even then the Q-factor may be larger than a road crank due to the shape of the crankarms.

oldpotatoe
01-27-2018, 06:45 AM
Hello,

I am toying with alternatives to a Campy crankset (don't ask me why) and another thought came up.

my LBS has a NOS 44t x 104BCD chainring for about $15 (because nobody would use this on an MTB anymore). Could I match this up with a 36t chainring and call it a day? My double could be a 44x36t x 104BCD?

FYI, the rings are 9spd mid level Raceface - nice stuff, but not XTR or similar.

Should I just skip this and buy someones used ultratorque cranks and be done with it? I have the 36t Campy ring, just need a 46t one as well.

Thanks!

With Campag 11s Ultrashift..yes, no issue..with Powershift...not well since the LH shifter and front der is positional ala shimano, not ratcheting friction ala Campagnolo ERGO US.

As for 'matching' series of rings or brands..that is bugleoil..if you have a set that is 'matched' as 53/42..using a non matched 39t makes no difference at all. I have a Campagnolo 11s 36t and TA 48t on my EPS and it shifts perfectly.

BUT I'd do the last...Easy to find TA 110/112 in 46t..BUT if ya got a brazeon front der..may be tough to get fder low enough.