PDA

View Full Version : OT: Apple Homepod

p nut
01-26-2018, 12:34 PM
I just placed an order for one this morning. This is mostly for my wife, as she's a stay-at-home mom and listens to music quite a bit. Also, it solves the issue of the wife not hearing the phone when I call during the day. :p

I've tried to find something similar, but couldn't find one that I really liked. Ones I've tried seemed to have BT connectivity issues that would just randomly disconnect, so I'd have to completely disconnect and re-sync (with my wife's iphone). I am hoping this will be a bit more seamless and trouble-free.

I looked at Sonos and Google Home. I almost bought the Google Home, but decided to stick with the same brand. But if it doesn't work out, I will try out Google. Anyone have a Google Home, by the way? How have you liked it?

Delivery is Feb 9th, so perfect V-day gift.

sooshi
01-26-2018, 01:17 PM
I've had a Google Home for about a month and so far it's been great. I was wanting the HomePod but didn't want to wait as they kept pushing the release date back. It is a little clunky getting it to integrate with my iPhone and the iOS platform but you can do it using IFTTT. I don't need it to do a lot other than have it add things to my calendar and shopping lists which it can do. The sound quality is actually pretty good as well.

The one thing that kept me from waiting on the HomePod was it's inability to stream from Spotify but sounds like it may be possible in the future.

Please report back on your HomePod after getting some miles on it

nate2351
01-26-2018, 02:15 PM
A little Ot here. The in-laws have three Echos, one full size and two dots. The sounds quality is passable on the Echo and miserable on the Dot. I also appreciate Siri not actively trying to sell me things.

I'm excited about what Apple claims the Homepod can do with its tweeters and microphone set up, and the sub woofer alone is bigger than the Dots. I think for what it is the $349 price tag is reasonable. I want to try one out at the Apple store first but its high on my radar for a smart speaker.

FlashUNC
01-26-2018, 02:35 PM
Not a fan of always-on listening devices.

dbnm
01-26-2018, 02:39 PM
We have the first gen Amazon Echo. The sound is okay. Good enough for what we need it for.

I use it for weight conversions:
"Alexa, 5.9 kilogram is how many pounds?"

:)

drewellison
01-26-2018, 04:10 PM

Like this one?

saab2000
01-26-2018, 04:25 PM
"Alexa, 5.9 kilogram is how many pounds?"

I use my calculator for this and then Skynet (Google, Amazon and Apple) doesn't need to know what I am doing.

I'm being (somewhat) facetious of course. They undoubtedly know and track everything that goes on with the devices and services we purchase from them. Why should I assume that my computer and phone aren't listening? No, I don't have a tinfoil hat on and I'm not a conspiracy person, but don't think they and NSA can't listen if they want to, regardless of the listening capabilities of these newer devices.

notsew
01-26-2018, 06:39 PM
I don't have one, but I have friends with the amazon thingy, and Alexa never seems to work on the first try. Maybe Siri is better.

I've got a sonos, hooked up to my Rotel so I can listen to everything Spotify has to offer through my B&Ws. But I too am a little hesitant to jump in with the surveillance devices... maybe when I can order an earl grey, hot and have it appear in the replicator, or at least until it responds to "Computer" :hello:

Alan
01-27-2018, 07:38 AM
Sonos is the best way to do this. Best money I have spent (besides bike stuff). Sonos is an open platform as you can use w any streaming service and you can rip your CDs and access them easily. I have tried Amazon, Apple and Spotify and may try some other streaming services.

The new Sonos speakers have Alexa. My kids have one and it is bit gimmicky but ymmv.

Alan

oldpotatoe
01-27-2018, 07:42 AM

It's starting:eek: