PDA

View Full Version : Rapha founder thinks that professional cycling is dull

fiamme red
01-25-2018, 10:15 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/small-business-network/2018/jan/25/rapha-founder-cycling-now-is-a-bit-dull-theres-all-this-doping-stuff

Following Chris Froome’s failed drug test, how do you feel about the broken image of cycling?

Since we launched, cycling has been in a pretty bad way. So, on the one hand, I’m not worried, because we’ve thrived anyway. On the other hand, it’s a massive frustration. We know Chris quite well from working with him at Team Sky (Rapha was kit supplier to Team Sky for four years until 2016). He’s an incredibly honourable guy and he’s very driven, but has always been completely fair, polite and nice. He’s a man of integrity, I would have said. But in this weird world of bike racing you don’t know what to believe, and there’s such a culture of suspicion that has grown up around Team Sky in the past few years it’s hard to separate fact from fiction.

I would love for cycling to be an entertaining, big sport. At the moment, it’s a bit dull, it’s technical and there’s all this doping stuff.

Clean39T
01-25-2018, 10:42 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/small-business-network/2018/jan/25/rapha-founder-cycling-now-is-a-bit-dull-theres-all-this-doping-stuff

To be honest, I'm much more interested in the lifestyle cycling that Rapha sells in their "continental" videos than I am in professional cycling - and yet I also think it's a false dichotomy - why can't I love pro cycling for circus it is and put most of my personal effort into enjoying riding my bike in gorgeous places without making it about racing, or being aero, or hunting KOMs?

Black Dog
01-25-2018, 10:44 PM
To be honest, I'm much more interested in the lifestyle cycling that Rapha sells in their "continental" videos than I am in professional cycling - and yet I also think it's a false dichotomy - why can't I love pro cycling for circus it is and put most of my personal effort into enjoying riding my bike in gorgeous places without making it about racing, or being aero, or hunting KOMs?

You can have it both ways and you should. Well said.

dbnm
01-25-2018, 10:48 PM
I watch TdF every year and honestly I could care less.

I love to ride my bike. I love the lifestyle.

I've made some really great friends because of cycling.

And there is nothing better than doing a 75 mile ride and then having a beer or coffee with the guys. So much fun.

chiasticon
01-26-2018, 06:18 AM
To be honest, I'm much more interested in the lifestyle cycling that Rapha sells in their "continental" videos than I am in professional cycling - and yet I also think it's a false dichotomy - why can't I love pro cycling for circus it is and put most of my personal effort into enjoying riding my bike in gorgeous places without making it about racing, or being aero, or hunting KOMs?agreed. and that's probably why they've "thrived anyway."

CunegoFan
01-26-2018, 06:33 AM
We know Chris quite well from working with him at Team Sky (Rapha was kit supplier to Team Sky for four years until 2016). He’s an incredibly honourable guy and he’s very driven, but has always been completely fair, polite and nice. He’s a man of integrity...

That man of honor and integrity stole children's pet rabbits from the nearby kindergarten to feed them to his python.

misterha
01-26-2018, 06:40 AM
That man of honor and integrity stole children's pet rabbits from the nearby kindergarten to feed them to his python.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3orif7aLUehOfdmlXy/giphy.gif

martl
01-26-2018, 07:19 AM
Stand by for tomorrow's news: "Cyclist thinks Rapha is dull"

ripvanrando
01-26-2018, 07:29 AM
wanna see dull? Prestige embroidered on the chest? Lovely

https://dyzmn8020x6cd.cloudfront.net/sys-master/products/h4c/h4a/9136266280990/GEP01XXKHG-product-h117-01_SMALL

fignon's barber
01-26-2018, 07:33 AM
I guess I enjoy races despite the riders. I tune into Roubaix or the Giro to watch Roubaix or the Giro, not a specific rider. And I don't care to think too critically about how riders get where they are. Froome case? Doesn't bother me. Kind of like watching a sci fi movie. Do I care that the alien isn't really from another planet, but a mere actor? No. Enjoy the film.

oldpotatoe
01-26-2018, 07:35 AM

You can but let's face it...hurrah!! can watch an entire stage of any of the big Euro and otherplace, races these days..but holy moly...miles and miles of just trundling along..then the climb, then a sprint..then the finish..It CAN have it's moments but the whole race...

I like Rapha's videos and whole marketing gig..too.:)

makoti
01-26-2018, 08:30 AM
You can but let's face it...hurrah!! can watch an entire stage of any of the big Euro and otherplace, races these days..but holy moly...miles and miles of just trundling along..then the climb, then a sprint..then the finish..It CAN have it's moments but the whole race...

I was in London one year during the tour. Turned on SkySport or whatever it was called. One of the 5+hr days. It 3 hours in. The announcer was just talking, filling time. He says "Well, let me catch everyone up on what's been happening so far, since you haven't been watching the entire time. And, if you HAVE been watching the whole time, good lord! Go outside, go to the store, do something! We'll be here when you get back!"

And to the OP, the headline you chose is a bit inflammatory, no? He said "a bit boring", and I can't really argue his point, can you?

MattTuck
01-26-2018, 08:33 AM
I was in London one year during the tour. Turned on SkySport or whatever it was called. One of the 5+hr days. It 3 hours in. The announcer was just talking, filling time. He says "Well, let me catch everyone up on what's been happening so far, since you haven't been watching the entire time. And, if you HAVE been watching the whole time, good lord! Go outside, go to the store, do something! We'll be here when you get back!"

That sounds like Carlton Kirby.

MattTuck
01-26-2018, 08:39 AM
On whether bike racing is boring, sure. It is a race. It builds to a climax at the end, just like every other race type event. The first few laps of an Indy car or Nascar, or the first few miles of a marathon are rarely that entertaining.

Atleast with cycling, there are inflection points through out the race (bergs in Flanders, mountains/other features in grand tour stages, etc.). Yeah, there are flat stages that tend to be pretty boring until the final sprint, but those hardly make up the bulk of all racing in the calendar year.

I'm quite entertained by the sport, so I'm not really sure what he's talking about when he says in general that the sport is dull. What does he want, people sticking frame pumps into wheels to 'spice things up'?

El Chaba
01-26-2018, 08:45 AM
It's a testament to the modern era of attention spans shorter than those of gnats....People demand to be entertained every waking second or they're off to twitter or Facebook or whatever...If nothing is "happening" in the race at a particular moment, look at the countryside for God's sake....

chiasticon
01-26-2018, 08:58 AM
can watch an entire stage of any of the big Euro and otherplace, races these days..but holy moly...miles and miles of just trundling along..then the climb, then a sprint..then the finish..It CAN have it's moments but the whole race...yeah I only ever tune in for the last hour or something, during the tour. or I'll leave it on while I make breakfast and do other things. or turn on a replay of the entire stage if I'm trying to fall asleep.

this is part of why I enjoy cyclocross. 45-60 minutes of all out effort, then it's over. short and exciting.

djg21
01-26-2018, 09:03 AM

I agree. Watching a complete TDF Stage is like watching paint dry. Give me a 30-45 minute recap of the race showing the start, decisive moves and finish, and that’s all I need. In fact, I for the most part stopped watching and just follow in the cycling media now.

Cycling is a participation sport. Even racing.

54ny77
01-26-2018, 09:07 AM
rapha media people should be in charge of the tour broadcast. it will be shown in optimal lighting, slow motion, and a lot of racers will have digitally imprinted handlebar mustaches. :banana:

FlashUNC
01-26-2018, 09:09 AM
Grand Tours held in France are boring. Monuments are fun. Grand Tours in Spain and Italy are fun. Spring Classics are fun.

tylercheung
01-26-2018, 09:19 AM

Of note, I believe this also works as a cymbal player's job description in the orchestra...

fiamme red
01-26-2018, 10:14 AM
"I would love for cycling to be an entertaining, big sport. At the moment, it’s a bit dull, it’s technical and there’s all this doping stuff."

This is from the same person who idolizes Pantani. Of course, Pantani was not dull and did have panache, unlike Froome.

https://pages.rapha.cc/interview/pantani-statement

Like many riders of that era Pantani cheated by using PEDs. But millions of fans loved him because he brought this human struggle and athletic verve to our television screens. Unlike other top racers of the time who were also guilty of cheating, Pantani raced with panache and captured the hearts of the fans. His character shone through. Understanding why that was can help us understand the appeal of this amazing sport.

Pantani died in the months before Rapha launched, but my experience of watching him race was one of the main reasons I started the company. He is a tragic hero, but my greatest cycling hero nonetheless.

pdmtong
01-26-2018, 12:30 PM
This is why adding in a shorter stage format (100k) is gaining favor

UKBROOKLYN
01-26-2018, 07:29 PM
The problem of dullness as I see it has to do with the way racing is structured. Oleg Tinkoff may have come off as a bit of a bizarre buffoon at times but much of what he said about the ASO iron grip on the UCI and the absolute absence of any effort to bring change was spot on. He envisioned a set up much like pro basketball. Where teams share TV revenues and have a vested interest in making the whole thing more entertaining. Velon at least came out of the last few years so there may be some hope.

But if it stays the same I will still be watching many many hours of the Grand Tours... But then I am a lover of Cricket.. Real Cricket The Five Day Game..!!

Black Dog
01-26-2018, 07:37 PM
Get rid of the race radios. Get rid of power meters during races. Let the racing begin.

cycle-spinner
01-27-2018, 10:24 PM
Agreed, get rid of the radios!!!

pasadena
01-27-2018, 10:59 PM
Rapha sponsors a pro team and one of the most exciting ones at that - Canyon SRAM

The team has many more interesting facets than Sky with 100x the budget.

Rapha also supports the Rapha Nocturne series which is some awesome racing.
They are involved with Zwift and other non-pro events

They are doing some really smart things to support cycling around the globe. Compared to everything else he's a part of, pro mens cycling sponsorship probably is tedious.

mcteague
01-28-2018, 07:30 AM
Get rid of the race radios. Get rid of power meters during races. Let the racing begin.

:hello:

Tim