PDA

View Full Version : Doing a long trip with external carrier rack - good idea, bad idea?

Llewellyn
01-25-2018, 09:09 PM
We're going down south for an upcoming long weekend and I'm thinking about taking a bike, but there won't be room for it in our hatchback so it would need to go on an external carrier rack. But we don't have one that mounts on a towbar - we've have a "booty rack" (yes, that's its name) that has clips and straps that mount on the tailgate and tighten up.

We're talking about 500km each way - has anyone done a trip of this sort of length with this sort of rack and were there any problems? The roads are good and maximum speed is 100 km/h. Thoughts and ideas welcome.

onsight512
01-25-2018, 09:22 PM
If it is a bike that you built, I think I’d buy a bigger car/truck/van so that it could travel inside the vehicle.

mhespenheide
01-25-2018, 10:01 PM
If it is a bike that you built, I think I’d buy a bigger car/truck/van so that it could travel inside the vehicle.

Agreed. :banana:

But, on a more serious note, I used one of that style of racks to drive across country. The US. Over 5000km. No problems. A bike with a lot less value, though, so while it would have pained me to lose it or have it damaged, it wouldn't have been a big financial hit.

steelbikerider
01-25-2018, 10:12 PM
I've traveled 1000's of miles with bikes on a roof rack for 30+ years. Only damage is bug splatters. On the other hand, I got more scuffs in 1 weekend with 3 bikes on a hitch mount rack.

Mr. Pink
01-26-2018, 04:54 AM
I've traveled 1000's of miles with bikes on a roof rack for 30+ years. Only damage is bug splatters. On the other hand, I got more scuffs in 1 weekend with 3 bikes on a hitch mount rack.

Well, rain, too. If you think of it, during a heavy storm at highway speed, it's like pointing your garden hose at its most focused setting at your bike and spraying away. That water is going to get into everything, and wash all lubricant away.

But the rain is good for washing the bugs off.

sjbraun
01-26-2018, 07:08 AM
I've crossed the US from AZ to MN several times with two bikes on the back of a Saris Bones rack. No worries, except for the risk of theft, but a cable through the frames and undercarriage minimizes that risk.

Likes2ridefar
01-26-2018, 07:19 AM
Not sure how it mounts, but I’ve had the feet scratch paint at attachment points and dents from weight, big bumps on the road, and attaching the rack too tight. Helicopter tape on paint will minimize or eliminate scratches.

Rob1519
01-26-2018, 03:53 PM
Perhaps a rooftop box is in order. If traveling long distance at highway speed, my bike goes in a box. Locked, out of sight, and protected from the elements.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

batman1425
01-26-2018, 04:24 PM
I've driven my bikes on the roof for plenty of 1000+ mile road trips, including driving rain. Never had a problem with anything more than insect carcasses that need to be washed off at the destination.

Ken Robb
01-26-2018, 05:33 PM
I have driven trips of 600-1200 miles with two Rivendells on a Hollywood Rack which sounds a lot like what you are describing. I covered the saddles with plastic bags. We had a little rain and snow but the bikes arrived ready to ride. Maybe because the main parts of the bikes were not in the slipstream as bikes on roof racks are we didn't lose any discernible amount of lube? The car was BMW M3 sedan rather than a hatchback but I'd guess a hatchback would offer more protection than a sedan.

makoti
01-26-2018, 05:37 PM

I was going to say the same thing - not with a bike YOU built! Otherwise, it'll be ok. They work. A pain to get into hatch area. Roof racks are better. Just remember they are up there.

chiasticon
01-26-2018, 05:56 PM
I've done it a few times where it was 15+ hours each way and no problems with bikes or car. I'm pretty picky about it though and use a good bit of pipe insulation foam at key points on the bike and the car, to make sure nothing gets scratched up. oh and some extra bungee cords or toe straps on the bikes so they don't flop around and bang into each other. I also check the tension of the straps every time I'm out of the car (gas, food, or restroom breaks). like I said, I'm nuts about it...

it's not an ideal method of transporting bikes, especially nice ones, but it's definitely doable.

mnoble485
01-27-2018, 10:16 AM
Driving back to Florida from North Carolina with the Hampsten on a hitch rack we ran into a torrential down pour. As I'm thinking of road grit and grime getting into every crevice my wife says "Just think how clean your bike will be."
She will never understand!

Mike

djg21
01-27-2018, 10:26 AM
You may have to do more frequent maintenance if your bike is on a rack at highway speeds and exposed to the elements, and that includes regreasing the headset, pedals, BB, etc., but bikes are made to be ridden in both dry or wet weather.

I’m lazy, so I drive a Tacoma with a cap so bikes can be protected from the elements.

carpediemracing
01-27-2018, 01:57 PM
Remember that in rain the nylon straps can stretch. I haven't seen/used/installed such a rack in decades so maybe they've addressed this issue, but if they haven't then a stretching strap could lead to a hook coming undone, especially when you hit a bump.

It's dirtier air in the back, typically, because the air behind the car is being sucked into that area from underneath the car (as well as from the sides and on top). It also swirls so it gets everywhere, up top it's more the front facing stuff that gets hit.

On the other hand there are some positives. You can see the bike pretty well so hopefully you'll notice a loose/flapping strap before it becomes an issue. It's low so no worries about parking garages or drivethrus. Easy to do a check on it each time you stop for gas.

Although I personally would do anything and everything to get the bike inside the car, the rear rack should work fine. It's definitely a higher risk way of carrying the bike.

Are you carrying four people, so the seats have to be up? Do you feel uncomfortable removing wheels? I've fit, in a Golf hatch, my mountain bike with full fenders still attached, both wheels, baby seat, the various play pens and sleeping crib things, luggage for two, diapers, baby bag, cooler with food/drink, etc, and been fine. It was a 7 hour trip each way, about 450 miles / 720 km each way. The conditions were such that I wanted to keep the bike inside. You can see one of the wheels in the car here (and why I wanted to keep the bike inside - we also had a Jetta wagon with a roof rack but decided to take the Golf instead):
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_i11600F1Lk/TtJOcv_GizI/AAAAAAAADw8/VCdsELUqXMo/s800/2011-11-23_14-06-39_414.jpg

Llewellyn
01-27-2018, 03:42 PM
Thanks for all the replies and it certainly sounds like a viable option. The long weekend is in early March so it's very unlikely to be raining in this part of the world. As much as I'd prefer to put the bike in the car my wife's golf clubs and our suitcase will be in there so there won't be room. Although if I take the wheels off it might just fit. I'll check that out.

carpediemracing
01-28-2018, 08:10 PM
Thanks for all the replies and it certainly sounds like a viable option. The long weekend is in early March so it's very unlikely to be raining in this part of the world. As much as I'd prefer to put the bike in the car my wife's golf clubs and our suitcase will be in there so there won't be room. Although if I take the wheels off it might just fit. I'll check that out.

I'm surprised at how many "serious" cyclists don't consider removing wheels to transport bikes. The quick releases as there for a reason.

In regular, less loaded trips, to races, I would put two of my bikes in the hatch area of the Golf, a total of 6 wheels, my tool box, two helmets, shoes, and floor pump. This all in the very back of the Golf!

I'd put my gearbag and cooler in the back seat with Junior, his diapers/bags/etc, and Mom and Dad would sit in the front seats.

Llewellyn
02-02-2018, 12:15 AM
I did a test run today and I can report that a bag of golf clubs and a buggy, a large suitcase and a road bike with the wheels removed will easily fit into a Corolla hatchback. And there's room to spare. So my bike won't have to make the trip hanging off the back.