PDA

View Full Version : town bike

csm
10-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Just got back from a ride to the local (or one of the local) coffee shops with the kids. kind of a slow ride; the youngest is 6 and riding a 16" wheeled bmx bike. I rode my fs klein and it was fun. I got thinking that perhaps I should have a bike dedicated to this kind of riding. something like a bianchi milano (cafe-racer cool) or an electra rat rod (just plain cool). I know I don't need one, but I didn't really "need" a legend ti either.
anyone have an opinion?
btw the 6 year old is moving up to something bigger with gears next spring. he is quite the rider. and he likes to stop and look at things on the ground. today's ride highlight was a perfectly good orange highlighter. just laying there on the ground.

Ken Robb
10-01-2006, 12:58 PM
I think you would enjoy an old, quality rigid mtn. bike with 26x1.5 or fatter non-knobby tires (Avocet CrossII do it for me), a saddle that is comfy in regular pants/shorts, and a bar/stem combo that lets you sit up quite straight so you can take in all the sights. MKS Touring pedals so you can ride in any regular shoes. My Bridgestone MB3 also has a rear rack that accepts grocery panniers for my trips to the market.

csm
10-01-2006, 02:14 PM
I have an mb1. weighs 21.5 lbs. I could put higher bars on it....

ergott
10-01-2006, 02:55 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=19776&highlight=frankenbike

I'll stomp the Milano into the ground :D

Fixed
10-01-2006, 08:25 PM
your kid will be faster than soon, you'll need the race bike
cheers

csm
10-01-2006, 09:24 PM
yes sooner than I imagine. since he started first grade he seems like a whole different kid. it's like he woke up and decided to be a kid and not a baby anymore.

coylifut
10-01-2006, 09:47 PM
your kid will be faster than soon, you'll need the race bike
cheers

that's the good stuff there. nice post