PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Trainer

tjk23
01-25-2018, 06:08 AM
Looking to upgrade my trainer. I have been a long time Kurt Kinetic user but have tried the Kickr and the Kickr Snap in the past year and didn’t care for either one. I am thinking about trying the Kinetic Rock and Roll and was looking for opinions versus the Road machine.

Vamoots58
01-25-2018, 07:20 AM
Surprised, I was a long time Kurt user and had roughly equated winter Trainer time to being only slightly less arduous than root canal work. Been on the KICKR since X-Mas day and I love it!! 45 minutes on the 'dumb' trainer was an eternity, now hour plus is a minimum ride with much better quality of workout. Keep trying the direct drive options, at a minimum the smart trainers...

tigoat
01-25-2018, 07:21 AM
I had a KK mag (still have it and collecting dust in the basement) but I am using an electronic trainer nowadays and I do not plan on ever going back. I don't care what people claim, currently there is no trainer that can replicate riding on the road.

I have tried the RR but it did not do much for me with that fixed rocking motion. In fact, I thought it was a very lousy rocking system mechanically. A separate rocking plate would seem to be a much better setup but I have tried it yet. KK's smart controllers only work with Bluetooth, which is a no go for me, as I would per ANT+ since it has been much more reliable in my experience.

chiasticon
01-25-2018, 07:33 AM
does it need to be a smart trainer or no? maybe give rollers a shot? for me, they make riding inside far more enjoyable than a trainer. I'm not into the whole smart trainer/video game deal though.

kramnnim
01-25-2018, 08:57 AM
What did you not like about the Kickr?

tjk23
01-25-2018, 01:32 PM
What did you not like about the Kickr?

I’ve used the Kinetic for so long that the resistance on the kickr and kickr snap just felt off to me. It did not feel as smooth, to me, as the Kinetic.

old fat man
01-25-2018, 10:25 PM
My favorite so far are the e-motion inside ride rollers. You can't multi task (phone, or PC tasks) like you can on a fixed rear wheel trainer or a kickr style trainer, but to me, it's been the most realistic and enjoyable indoor riding experience.