PDA

View Full Version : Italian thread BB shell reliability? Merckx EM-1

velobaba
01-24-2018, 12:38 PM
I am about to purchase a Merckx EM-1 frameset. It has an Italian threaded BB shell. I am wondering if there is any reliability issues with the Italian threaded BB shell. I have read a few post where the BB came loose during rides.

Thanks,
Jalal

veggieburger
01-24-2018, 12:41 PM
I have also read the stories, but has never happened to me, and I've been riding Italian BBs for a decade. (knock on wood)

drewellison
01-24-2018, 12:42 PM
A bunch of my bikes have FSIT BBs - far superior Italian threaded bottom brackets. I've never had an issue. I try to make sure that the bb is properly faced (or at least it looks like it's faced), the threads are clean (enough) and install the cups with grease and make sure it's nice and snug. Very snug. No problems on my end.

I certainly wouldn't let an Ital BB stop you from buying it.

donevwil
01-24-2018, 12:45 PM
If installed correctly (that depends on the BB) it's not a problem.

I'd say loosening is more of an issue with Italian (and French) than English (and Swiss), just as buggering up a BB by turning the cup the wrong way is more an issue with English (and Swiss) than Italian (and French).

bigbill
01-24-2018, 01:37 PM
The drive side can back out because of the threading direction and the torque produced in the "loosening" direct by the outer race of the bearing. I've had it happen twice, once on my MX Leader with a standard campy 102mm bottom bracket and a second time on my BLE with a UT crankset and cups. Shame on me for the second one. Resolved with cleaning the threads very well, a very thin coat of grease over some plumbers tape on the drive side cup followed by proper application of torque. Never had the problem again. The non-drive side won't back out, the torque produced by that side is in the "tighten" direction.

Spaghetti Legs
01-24-2018, 02:55 PM
Not a reliability problem. You just have to install it properly. Carbon frame - install to torque specs. Steel frame - tight as you can get it!

arimajol
01-24-2018, 03:04 PM
I've had one loosen on me before. Just crank it down as hard as possible and it won't come loose.

jtbadge
01-24-2018, 03:18 PM
A couple of wraps of Teflon tape around the threads of the BB bearings, and you'll be in good shape.

bikingshearer
01-24-2018, 04:22 PM
I've had one loosen on me before. Just crank it down as hard as possible and it won't come loose.

My experience exactly. If you are really worried about it, use some teflon tape, as jtbade suggests, or some blue Loctite.

tv_vt
01-24-2018, 05:03 PM
Happened to me once, too. Was only a few miles from home when I noticed it. Did gouge a little circular stripe into the back of the DS crank arm where the BB wore against it.

Never happened again, though.

ultraman6970
01-24-2018, 05:04 PM
What all are saying, being in italian BB bicycles since hmm... 1980? Had my share of english BBs but more italians than english ones.

Teflon tape... tight the cr@p out of it, the thing wont go anywhere, just tight it you aren't going to slip (or whatever is said) the threads.

The main issue with italian BBs if you have a hipster that is taking that BB in and out every week and installing the one that needs to be installed that week, so the DUDE cross thread the BB, thing ive seen a few times already, or stuff wrongly installed due to lack of tools and then you hear millions of horror stories about italian bbs.

oldpotatoe
01-25-2018, 06:32 AM
I am about to purchase a Merckx EM-1 frameset. It has an Italian threaded BB shell. I am wondering if there is any reliability issues with the Italian threaded BB shell. I have read a few post where the BB came loose during rides.

Thanks,
Jalal

Couple of things when using the 'far superior Italian threading', BB.

=Make sure the BB shell is prepped, as in faced and chased.
=Install RH cup TIGHT, use grease(NOT glue/loctite/etc) and teflon tape(Plumber's tape) on the threads(couple of wraps)..
=Install TIGHT using a proper tool.

I have been riding Far Superior Italian Threaded BB, frames for 35 years and haven't had one come loose yet
-DeRosa, Merckx, Ciocc, Mondonico, Simoncini