PDA

View Full Version : bike rides funny....

tttsmm
01-24-2018, 02:46 AM
Hi all,

Have a question that I'm hoping the collective wisdom of the forum can help with. Recently built up a new bike and the ride feels a bit off. Its almost like its reluctant to move forward. Takes a lot of effort to spin it up and it slows right down when you stop pedaling.

Have tried with different combination of wheels & tyres and i get the same thing. Same wheels & tyres feel alright on my other bikes. Have also checked and nothing is rubbing anywhere.

Only difference between the bikes is 0.5 degs in the ST & HT angles (73.5 vs 73), and both bikes are steel. Contact points are setup similarly between the 2 bikes. I have ridden bikes with the same geometry previously and never felt something like this before.

Question is does the 0.5 degs make such a huge difference? Do i have a frame that is potentially misaligned? Or have i gone nuts and started imagining things and should give up cycling?

:help: :o

Thanks in advanced.

cheers!
thomas..

Kontact
01-24-2018, 03:24 AM
Hub bearings too tight when the QR closed? How do the wheels spin on when you lift the bike up?

jumphigher
01-24-2018, 06:00 AM
Have you tried jumping off it after a ride and immediately riding your other bike to see if feels any different? Sometimes you just feel off yourself and since you're riding a new bike, might have convinced yourself it rides drastically different. If not that, I dont know what it would be. That much difference in frame geo shouldnt make that much of a difference, imo.

Peter P.
01-24-2018, 06:08 AM
If you can ride the bike no hands without difficulty, the alignment is likely good enough.

Can you put another pair of wheels on the bike to test?

Frame angles have nothing to do with your problem.

fignon's barber
01-24-2018, 06:12 AM
New crankset? Take the chain off the teeth and spin crank. Does it move freely? If not, measure bb shell. If it wasn't faced to spec, could cause crank to not spin correctly.

ravdg316
01-24-2018, 09:15 AM
I’ve had a similar issue to yours and it was because I didn’t install my crankset correctly. I didn’t ensure the crank was pushed onto the bottom bracket bearing before installing. It was only a millimeter or so off but it made all the difference.

Ken Robb
01-24-2018, 03:14 PM
Since it slows quickly when he stops pedaling it sounds to me like a problem with wheel bearings. The suggestion that they may get too tight when the QR release is closed due to too much preload sounds likely. A problem with the BB might make it hard to get up to speed but wouldn't the bike coast normally?

tttsmm
01-24-2018, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the pointers guys. Have actually tried every almost every one of them hahaaa...

- wheels spin freely in stand
- tried bike with a diff wheelset, tried wheelset in a diff bike
- crankarms spin freely, seem to be installed correctly

will get round to measuring the bb shell. beyond that not sure what else could be the culprit...

thanks guys...

Louis
01-24-2018, 10:14 PM
Funny, how?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

bironi
01-24-2018, 11:04 PM
Take it to a good mechanic.

oliver1850
01-25-2018, 12:44 AM
Try another pair of wheels and report back.

tttsmm
01-25-2018, 02:11 AM
Try another pair of wheels and report back.
tried already, same result :eek:

tttsmm
01-25-2018, 02:12 AM
Take it to a good mechanic.

ya, lined up as next alternative...

mt2u77
01-25-2018, 06:09 AM
Do some A/B rollout or timed tests on a hill. If it indeed slows down quickly while coasting, this should show up in the distance you coast after going down a fixed ramp vs your other bike. Keep as many variables constant as possible, do a bunch of trials, use statistics. This will take your perception and feel out of the equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clancy
01-25-2018, 06:27 AM
Cassette lockring rubbing against the frame.

happycampyer
01-25-2018, 07:26 AM
Could be the Russians...

bicycletricycle
01-25-2018, 07:30 AM
It is not the different angles.

Black Dog
01-25-2018, 12:12 PM
If you swapped wheels and the cranks are spinning freely then it is probably your perception. Do some role out tests as was wisely suggested to confirm. Perception is powerful and once bias is established it can be hard to shake off.