PDA

View Full Version : Coupler build

CNY rider
01-23-2018, 09:22 AM
If you were building up a coupled Ti bike today.........does it make the most sense to go with SRAM wireless?
Note this is a few years old frame set, takes rim brakes.

Open to all ideas.
Thanks.

bicycletricycle
01-23-2018, 09:29 AM
Bikes get beat up when they travel, wireless seems nice from an assembly standpoint, especially if you are not good at adjusting derailleurs. On the other hand, repairs of the parts would be expensive and/or hard depending on where you are.

gone
01-23-2018, 09:34 AM
If you were building up a coupled Ti bike today.........does it make the most sense to go with SRAM wireless?

Open to all ideas.

Thanks.

Yes, IMHO. That’s exactly what I have on my coupled Hampsten SB ti and for exactly that reason. I don’t have crimps on my brake cables (superglue on the ends) and have a Zinn coupled stem. Disassembly is: undo all three couplers, loosen brake cable bolts, remove chain (quick link), done. I remove the rear derailleur (easy with no cable) and put it in a separate padded bag.

After disassembly, bars are completely removed and can go anywhere in the box.

Greg

54ny77
01-23-2018, 09:55 AM
See this for inspiration.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=207568

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-TF7QXxW/0/2f1ec206/X2/i-TF7QXxW-X2.jpg

I've seen this bike in person, and it's a stunner.

weisan
01-23-2018, 09:58 AM
yup.

Beat up of travel bike is over-emphasized.

It's a bike! Of course, it's gonna get beat up. But it will live.

TSA?

Stolen?

Lost?

Too many worries.

Not how I live.
Personally, I would do it in a heart beat.

oldpotatoe
01-23-2018, 10:19 AM

Open to all ideas.
Thanks.

It's the easiest to set up, the easiest to pack. One coupler on rear brake cable and even that's not essential(just loosen brake, take housing out of top tube stops.

But yup, easy, regardless of some who talk about getting the bike 'beat up', which I don't think you are referring to. Particularly if you are packing an already cracked bike..which you aren't referring to either.

IMHO, of course, 'pal'..

tv_vt
01-23-2018, 10:28 AM
I'm considering switching to an eTap setup on my Hampsten SB ti frame, too. The other option coming soon would be the FSA semi-wireless setup. See the thread here started by Sales Guy. All of the wiring is in the back half of the bike. It's wireless from front half shifters to rear half FD and RD, so it's as good a setup as SRAM's.

FWIW I don't use couplers on brake cables. I just unscrew the calipers front and rear from frame and fork and pop them in a bag with cables still connected to the handlebars. And I don't remove the chain, instead just Velcro-ing it to the chainstay to keep it tidy. Do unscrew the RD from the dropout, though.

Sounds like everyone has a slightly different setup. It's all good - whatever works is the name of the game.

simonov
01-23-2018, 10:36 AM
yup.

Beat up of travel bike is over-emphasized.

It's a bike! Of course, it's gonna get beat up. But it will live.

TSA?

Stolen?

Lost?

Too many worries.

Not how I live.
Personally, I would do it in a heart beat.

The biggest threat is TSA. So anything that makes it easier to pack in a way that the case can be opened and closed by them is highly recommended. Other than that, there's not much to worry about.

bicycletricycle
01-23-2018, 10:43 AM
taking the rear derailleur off would be a good option for packing a bike like this.

Mzilliox
01-23-2018, 10:49 AM
If you have the means, it makes too much sense. id do it for sure. in fact it may happen in the future if i like Force 1x

PaMtbRider
01-23-2018, 10:49 AM
How much will you use this bike when you're not traveling with it? Etap is a pretty big expense if you are not going to be using it on a regular basis.

Using cable splitters, derailleur adjustments have been very minor, if at all, each time I have packed and unpacked our S&S bikes. Even though I am a Campy fan, I have Ultegra on both our coupled bikes. I figure if we get somewhere and there is anything damaged I can get Shimano parts in any local shop.

zap
01-23-2018, 10:56 AM
Travel bike........kiss. Limit electronics to gps.

makoti
01-23-2018, 11:08 AM
As soon as Campy comes out with wireless, my travel bike will swap over to that. So, if you're ok with sram, I'd vote yes.

David Kirk
01-23-2018, 11:23 AM
I think etap is ideal for a travel bike.

dave

shovelhd
01-23-2018, 11:31 AM
I have 6870 on my travel bike. It splits at the BB (Ritchey) so unplugging the B junction is trivial.

SpeedyChix
01-23-2018, 11:51 AM
Had a conventional group on the coupled bike for many trips. Took the opportunity to switch it to eTap and it makes the process wildly simple. I have V-s so it's even easier to pull the brake cables free and pull handlebar. The ability to put the handlebar in a bag other than the S&S case makes packing much easier too. Pull RD, pack an extra battery or two and your charger. eTap needs to be charged far more often than Di2. Inexpensive? no, Easy? yes.

kgreene10
01-23-2018, 11:55 AM
I’m there as soon as etap Force comes out.

CNY rider
01-23-2018, 12:03 PM
How much will you use this bike when you're not traveling with it? Etap is a pretty big expense if you are not going to be using it on a regular basis.

Using cable splitters, derailleur adjustments have been very minor, if at all, each time I have packed and unpacked our S&S bikes. Even though I am a Campy fan, I have Ultegra on both our coupled bikes. I figure if we get somewhere and there is anything damaged I can get Shimano parts in any local shop.

I hope I will use it a lot.
You see happy camper's bike above? It's exactly the same one. Mine has been sitting in a case in my basement for a few years, never even built. I bought it lightly used across the hall. I even have a brand new uncut F3 for it.
And I plan on riding in Europe to celebrate my big five-oh in a couple of years so I want it to travel well.

I think it will be worth the investment.

Bob Ross
01-23-2018, 12:13 PM
My 8-year-old coupled bike is currently in the process of getting an upgrade [sic] to eTap, so you know how I'd answer the question!

happycampyer
01-23-2018, 05:28 PM

Using cable splitters, derailleur adjustments have been very minor, if at all, each time I have packed and unpacked our S&S bikes. Even though I am a Campy fan, I have Ultegra on both our coupled bikes. I figure if we get somewhere and there is anything damaged I can get Shimano parts in any local shop.I was fortunate that I won the eTap group (and the wheels) in a raffle, so the cost wasn’t an issue. If the bike is going to stay packed in its case and will only get used a handful of times a year, I agree that eTap is overkill.

The other point about using Shimano parts is a good one. Depending on where one travels, finding parts for, say, Campagnolo (which I had on the bike before I won the eTap group) or eTap might be a challenge. Fortunately, I expect that all of the destinations I would travel to with a coupled bike will have shops that are familiar with eTap.

The other nice thing about eTap is not having the derailleur cable splitters clanking against the frame. Yes, one can play with splitter placement and bumpers, etc. but not having to do deal with them is great.

I’m also planning on switching the wheels back to alloy rimmed wheels with traditional spokes.

Hilltopperny
01-23-2018, 06:25 PM
I think the ease of set up alone is worth it on a coupled bike. I'm sure you will end up putting it to good use!

poff
01-24-2018, 04:17 AM
I have etap HRD on my coupled Moots DR road. Travel is a breather. Just disconnect RD and disc calipers and fold the hoses.

Bob Ross
01-24-2018, 05:09 AM
The ability to put the handlebar in a bag other than the S&S case makes packing much easier too.

yeah, watching how much easier it is for my wife to pack her bike -- she has Di2, and packs the bars separately in her suitcase, which leaves so much extra space in the S&S case! -- was one of the things that convinced me to go electronic on mine. Figuring out how to get the bars in the S&S is always the most challenging part of packing for me.

So anything that makes it easier to pack in a way that the case can be opened and closed by them is highly recommended.

Best tip I ever got for ensuring TSA can close your case after an inspection: Completely remove the tire from the front wheel.

simonov
01-24-2018, 05:11 AM
Best tip I ever got for ensuring TSA can close your case after an inspection: Completely remove the tire from the front wheel.

I do the same. You can use the folded tire as packing material and the lid goes up and down nice and easily.

marciero
01-24-2018, 06:40 AM

Another idea is to wedge the wheel (with tire mounted) in the upper part of the case. A deflated 32 tire on a 700c wheel was very snug in our cases and would stay put upon open/close. Could even pump up the tire slightly. I considered doing that when we travelled recently with our tandem but I ultimately chose to remove the tire for easy closure as this allowed us to use the compression members that came with the cases. I could go either way though. The wheels go axle-to-axle and extend from one wall to the other, and with the plastic ends that go in there they form a defacto compression member.

Also, zip ties to keep things moving relative to each other in case inspectors lift items.

gone
01-24-2018, 08:04 AM
This is turning into a “how to pack your bike” thread but since it all relates to S&S coupled bikes hopefully the OP doesn’t mind.

The best tip I got (which I use) is to use TWO S&S cases: one of the S&S hard cases and the second a Co-Motion case and split the bike between them. The S&S case pulls “lengthwise” and the Co-Motion pulls “widthwise” so they’re relatively easy to manage, they’ll fit easily into a standard cab anywhere and the big bonus: the bike isn’t a nightmare for the TSA to inspect and restore. I put the front wheel and rear triangle in the hard case and the rest in the soft case.

Bonus: there’s enough room left for my clothes, helmet, shoes, etc., so as long as I’m not going somewhere for months I don’t need any additional luggage and both bags weigh well under the airline weight limit. I take the two bags and a backpack for small in-flight stuff and have gone on two week trips with this setup.

Greg

sandyrs
01-24-2018, 08:48 AM
If I were to ride a coupled bike as my main bike, which I did for a while, and had the cash, I wouldn't hesitate to put eTap on it. As things currently stand, I hardly ever ride my coupled bike outside of travel, and cable splitters aren't that much of a hassle, so I'm not looking to change any parts on it any time soon (it has an Athena/Chorus mix right now). If "Rival eTap" eventually makes it to market and I wear out the Campy stuff, I think that route will make the most sense.