PDA

View Full Version : OT: Paint stripper for indoor use.

johnmdesigner
01-22-2018, 04:14 PM
The closet door hinges in my apartment have a 50 year layer of latex (and probably enamel) paint on them. They are welded into the door frames so no way to remove them. Any recommendations for a liquid stripper that won't kill me or the neighbors with the fumes? Or do I just get a hammer and chip it off?
Thank you.

54ny77
01-22-2018, 04:24 PM
goo gone painter's pal. works well. comes in a small squirt bottle at hd.

they have other citrus-based paint strippers that work also.

that being a nyc apt. door hinge chock full of lead paint, i might suggest a decent respirator as well as a pair of heavier duty rubber or nitrile gloves. also availal at hd. i dunno about west side but there's one on east side on 3rd ave. or order via amazon (or even hd).

johnmdesigner
01-22-2018, 04:33 PM
goo gone painter's pal. works well. comes in a small squirt bottle at hd.

they have other citrus-based paint strippers that work also.

that being a nyc apt. door hinge chock full of lead paint, i might suggest a decent respirator as well as a pair of heavier duty rubber or nitrile gloves. also availal at hd. i dunno about west side but there's one on east side on 3rd ave. or order via amazon (or even hd).

Thank you sir!

Peter P.
01-22-2018, 04:36 PM
I use CitriStrip (http://www.citristrip.com/). It will take repeat applications but it's non-toxic and not a fume issue.

daker13
01-22-2018, 04:45 PM
I use CitriStrip (http://www.citristrip.com/). I will take repeat applications but it's non-toxic and not a fume issue.

Definitely citristrip.

If it's just the hinges, you might be able to use something more corrosive, as it seems like the tiny amount of real estate probably isn't going to cause you too much trouble. But to be on the safe side, use citristrip, leave it on for a good 45 minutes, scrape it off and then maybe apply again. It really doesn't smell that bad (and me and my family are very sensitive).

54ny77
01-22-2018, 04:53 PM
if they're real brass hinges, you don't want the stripping solution to be on there too long once you get close to metal.

granted, the hinges may be visually toast already, but you'd be surprised how some things get preserved.

that said, the simplest way to fix it properly is to take a utility knife and cut hard into the paint and intot he wood to break the paint "seal," then chip into the screws to get at 'em and remove. then replace hinges with nice new ones.

of course, if they're super old oddball sized hinges, which could cost an arm and a leg to replace, then stripping paint and using elbow grease to make nice again is def. the way to go.

all depends on how much time ya got and budget, as well as interest in actually doing it. ;)

p.s. do yourself a favor and use good wide painters tape around the hinge edges to protect whatever other finish is on there.

Definitely citristrip.

If it's just the hinges, you might be able to use something more corrosive, as it seems like the tiny amount of real estate probably isn't going to cause you too much trouble. But to be on the safe side, use citristrip, leave it on for a good 45 minutes, scrape it off and then maybe apply again. It really doesn't smell that bad (and me and my family are very sensitive).

HenryA
01-22-2018, 05:58 PM
If you can chip enough paint off the screws to get the hinges off, immerse them in household ammonia in a covered glass jar. It won’t take long for all the latex paint to be melted.

saf-t
01-22-2018, 10:56 PM
For anyone reading this thread, never, yes, that was *never*, use a stripper that contains methylene chloride (dichloromethane).

Unless you like working with a carcinogen that absorbs through the skin, that is.

Peter P.
01-23-2018, 05:05 AM
The OP said his hinges are welded to the door frame to merely replacing them isn't going to happen.

I stripped the 3 hinges on my front door and in the process thought, "This is too much work; I'll just buy 3 new hinges".

Well, after first buying the wrong hinges because mine had rounded corners vs. square corners, I bought the right hinges only to discover the stagger of the screw holes didn't line up with the original hinge holes. I didn't want to drill new holes so stripping the hinges was it. Fun little project.

Black Dog
01-23-2018, 06:22 AM
https://target.scene7.com/is/image/Target/16729814_Alt02?wid=520&hei=520&fmt=pjpeg

unterhausen
01-23-2018, 06:48 AM
welded-welded, or welded with paint? If you could get them off, boiling water will remove paint from hardware. If you really can't get them off, a wallpaper steamer will remove the paint. I think you want a 1500 watt unit if your electrical system will support it. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wagner-715-Wallpaper-Steamer-0282036/301891395

I am all for better living through chemistry, but I have never had much luck with chemical strippers, and steam/hot water works pretty well.

staggerwing
01-23-2018, 07:43 AM
Heat gun and stiff putty knife for the win. Wear a respirator, and do everything possible to contain the dust. Heat only until softened; it shouldn't turn black or smoke.

Anything pre-1970's will likely contain lead. Still doable, just be religious about dust containment and cleanup.

johnmdesigner
01-23-2018, 08:07 AM
welded-welded, or welded with paint? If you could get them off, boiling water will remove paint from hardware. If you really can't get them off, a wallpaper steamer will remove the paint. I think you want a 1500 watt unit if your electrical system will support it. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wagner-715-Wallpaper-Steamer-0282036/301891395

I am all for better living through chemistry, but I have never had much luck with chemical strippers, and steam/hot water works pretty well.

These are pre fab steel door frames from the 1950s. One side of the hinge is welded into the frame.:)

shovelhd
01-23-2018, 08:30 AM
heat gun and stiff putty knife for the win. Wear a respirator, and do everything possible to contain the dust. Heat only until softened; it shouldn't turn black or smoke.

Anything pre-1970's will likely contain lead. Still doable, just be religious about dust containment and cleanup.

+1

wildboar
01-23-2018, 11:18 AM
Could also try putting some de-natured alcohol in a paper towel covered with aluminum foil over the hinge. Foil to prevent it from evaporating. 10 minutes more.