PDA

View Full Version : OT: Paypal Warning

m_sasso
01-22-2018, 03:12 PM
Paypal Warning

Any one encounter a rejection of claim based on the seller charging the buyer the Paypal transaction fees? According to a discussion I just had with Paypal adminstration, a seller who charges a buyer the Paypal transaction fee will not be covered by seller or buy protection as spelled out in the Paypal legal user agreement. Paypal views this action as a surcharge and is covered in the Paypal user agreement under “4. Receiving Money”, 4.6 No Surcharges.

Personal view, sellers charging buyers the transaction fee is a silly idea to begin with and who ever started the practice and those copying it are creating problems for sellers and buyers alike.

Please stop!

jtbadge
01-22-2018, 03:14 PM
Yep. This comes up every once in a while. Just calculate the fee into your asking price, or eat it.

Black Dog
01-22-2018, 03:37 PM
Yep. This comes up every once in a while. Just calculate the fee into your asking price, or eat it.

Exactly. Seriously everyone should do this. Buying something and using the family and friend option is asking for trouble.

macaroon
01-22-2018, 04:25 PM
Paypal Warning

Any one encounter a rejection of claim based on the seller charging the buyer the Paypal transaction fees? According to a discussion I just had with Paypal adminstration, a seller who charges a buyer the Paypal transaction fee will not be covered by seller or buy protection as spelled out in the Paypal legal user agreement. Paypal views this action as a surcharge and is covered in the Paypal user agreement under “4. Receiving Money”, 4.6 No Surcharges.

It's the buyer that needs the protection though.

In what instance would a seller need paypal protection? I'm sure I've read of one but I can't remember what.

Kontact
01-22-2018, 04:27 PM
It might be wise to offer a discount for money orders rather than a surcharge for CC or paypal.

JAGI410
01-22-2018, 04:35 PM
It might be wise to offer a discount for money orders rather than a surcharge for CC or paypal.

I’d charge extra then. I can’t deposit a money order from my phone. So I’d have to drive to the bank to do it. This is time, gas, and effort I am putting forth to collect my money. It probably adds up to more than 3%.

The convenience/safety of PayPal is worth the 3%. As mentioned above, build it into your asking price. I have intentionally not bought items on here because of the added 3% request. Might as well charge for packing tape and gas to the post office.

JWDR
01-22-2018, 04:40 PM
Paypal Warning

Personal view, buyers charging sellers the transaction fee is a silly idea to begin with and who ever started the practice and those copying it are creating problems for sellers and buyers alike.

Please stop!

I have no idea what your entire post is railing against but this part seems sillier than the rest. How does the buyer charge the seller anything?

zzy
01-22-2018, 04:43 PM
I still can't believe that 3% is such a big deal to people that they always want net pricing, or gifted payments (at least <$1,000). PP also has decent shipping rates and I usually do it all thru PP. Well worth the 3%.

m_sasso
01-22-2018, 04:56 PM
I have no idea what your entire post is railing against but this part seems sillier than the rest. How does the buyer charge the seller anything?

Corrected, became so unsettled with the whole situation, I got stupid.

Not that difficult to figure out!

Clean39T
01-22-2018, 05:21 PM
All good points, I’m changing my Classifieds practices going forward..

Kontact
01-22-2018, 05:24 PM
I’d charge extra then. I can’t deposit a money order from my phone. So I’d have to drive to the bank to do it. This is time, gas, and effort I am putting forth to collect my money. It probably adds up to more than 3%.

The convenience/safety of PayPal is worth the 3%. As mentioned above, build it into your asking price. I have intentionally not bought items on here because of the added 3% request. Might as well charge for packing tape and gas to the post office.

Considering that the topic is paypal surcharges to recoup paypal fees vs forms of payment with no fees, I don't understand your objection to my post. The thread isn't about money order surcharges.

All of my banks will deposit a money order. For free.