PDA

View Full Version : Friend shot with a pellet gun while riding

Keith A
01-22-2018, 07:07 AM
I just found out that a friend of mine was shot with a pellet gun while riding her bike this weekend here in Brevard County Florida. Here is her post on Facebook...
I'm just completely at a loss for words and humanity. In the 7 years I've been riding I've witnessed a lot but never this. I was just riding down the Eau Gallie causeway and someone shot me with some sort of gun. I couldn't believe it had actually happened. I Pulled over and checked it out and sure enough, something hit me. I have a hole in my leg. This wasn't a random rock bouncing up. It was some sort of gun. I wish I could have gotten their plates, but I was too stunned. Be careful my cyclists friends. This world is crazy.

She now has a pellet lodged in her muscle next to her femur. Here's the picture on Facebook...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10215843910840064&set=p.10215843910840064&type=3&theater

I just can't imagine what this person was thinking that they would actually shoot someone riding their bike on the road :crap:

Update: Here's her story on one of the local new media websites...
https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/local-news/woman-shot-in-leg-with-pellet-gun-while-riding-bike

oldpotatoe
01-22-2018, 07:11 AM
I just found out that a friend of mine was shot with a pellet gun while riding her bike this weekend here in Brevard County Florida. Here is her post on Facebook...

She now has a pellet lodged in her muscle next to her femur. Here's the picture of Facebook...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10215843910840064&set=p.10215843910840064&type=3&theater

I just can't imagine what this person was thinking that they would actually shoot someone riding their bike on the road :crap:

Cuz, in spite of being 'bike crazed', we are normal..there are an amazing number of weirdos out there..

regularguy412
01-22-2018, 07:24 AM
WOW!!

Penetrated a lot farther than I would have expected. Sheesh!! Could be that we need the sagittal view to know how far up or down WRT the femur it actually is.

Hope she gets over that OK.

Mike in AR:beer:

Keith A
01-22-2018, 07:31 AM
Certainly makes you consider riding with a camera!

Spaghetti Legs
01-22-2018, 08:01 AM
Wow. I hope she filed a police report on the spot.

I have recently adopted front and rear cameras.

Keith A
01-22-2018, 08:27 AM
Yes, a police report was filled and she has a description of the vehicle, but not the tag number. She actually saw the four people in the car giving each other high fives after they shot her :mad:

OtayBW
01-22-2018, 08:27 AM
That sucks. The 'redneck gene' is, unfortunately, pervasive, it seems.

joosttx
01-22-2018, 08:40 AM
Florida.... is so weird

oldpotatoe
01-22-2018, 08:42 AM

Or........’these’ days has certainly changed my views, particularly when taking care of my grand daughters....

veggieburger
01-22-2018, 08:48 AM
OH WOW.. that's very frightening. Hope they get it out and she is Ok! Unbelievable.

djg21
01-22-2018, 08:49 AM

I just got a new Cycliq Fly12 CE and a FLY 6 CE. I’ve used an old style Fly 6 for a few years and it has worked great. I decided to get the front camera now that they have been redesigned and have Bluetooth connectivity so they can be controlled with my Garmin Edge and/or iPhone and instantly can play back video on an iPhone. I’ve just had too many close encounters, and have been intentionally harassed by too many drivers.

EliteVelo
01-22-2018, 08:55 AM

Hope she's ok......lot of rage up my way as well. I always take my GoPro-it's come in handy on more than one occasion.

MattTuck
01-22-2018, 08:57 AM
what the ****.

tuxbailey
01-22-2018, 09:13 AM
I just got a new Cycliq Fly12 CE and a FLY 6 CE. I’ve used an old style Fly 6 for a few years and is has worked great. I decided to get the front camera now that they have been redesigned and have Bluetooth connectivity so they can be controlled with my Garmin Edge and/or iPhone and instantly can play back video on an iPhone. I’ve just had too many close encounters, and have been intentionally harassed by too many drivers.

I did the same after my accident. Do you have problem communicating the Fly6 CE with the Garmin (I have the 520.) Fly12 CE connects and operates fine. Fly6 CE connects but I can't get it to power up when i turn on the head unit. Or turn off (both of them) when I turn off the head unit. Cycliq said that the Garmins are not officially supported yet. maybe I need to wait for new firmware.

ultraman6970
01-22-2018, 09:21 AM
FL? doesnt surprise me, hope she gets well soon, this sucks :(

bikinchris
01-22-2018, 09:29 AM
OH WOW.. that's very frightening. Hope they get it out and she is Ok! Unbelievable.

If it's not causing damage where it is, they will leave it there. They only take bullets out on TV. Causing more damage to the person to remove it makes no real sense

tuscanyswe
01-22-2018, 09:31 AM
I just got a new Cycliq Fly12 CE and a FLY 6 CE. I’ve used an old style Fly 6 for a few years and is has worked great. I decided to get the front camera now that they have been redesigned and have Bluetooth connectivity so they can be controlled with my Garmin Edge and/or iPhone and instantly can play back video on an iPhone. I’ve just had too many close encounters, and have been intentionally harassed by too many drivers.

They could do that with the older version of fly 12 as well.

Big Dan
01-22-2018, 09:40 AM
Yeah, that's Florida.
Apparently they got bored of shooting cats and raccoons.

:eek:

djg21
01-22-2018, 10:24 AM
I did the same after my accident. Do you have problem communicating the Fly6 CE with the Garmin (I have the 520.) Fly12 CE connects and operates fine. Fly6 CE connects but I can't get it to power up when i turn on the head unit. Or turn off (both of them) when I turn off the head unit. Cycliq said that the Garmins are not officially supported yet. maybe I need to wait for new firmware.

I don’t know yet. The Fly 12 CE arrived on Friday, and the Fly 6 CE remains en route. I’ve paired the Fly 12 CE with my iPhone and my Garmin Edge 1030,but haven’t had an opportunity to test it.

I did find the instructions off. They said that I have to download a CycliqConnect IQ app to load on my Garmin. I couldn’t find one. Instead, I just went into the Garmin and searched for sensors, and it located the Fly 12 CE and paired instantly. I can operate the Light/camera from th Edge now, but have yet to fully absorb the operating manual.

djg21
01-22-2018, 10:24 AM
They could do that with the older version of fly 12 as well.

I didn’t think the old one had Bluetooth. In any event, the new one is more compact.

biker72
01-22-2018, 10:34 AM
Florida.... is so weird

Not just Florida. This happened to a friend of mine in Plano TX. He panicked because he knew he'd been shot but didn't know if it was a 9mm or what. Lots of blood.The pellet must have hit a big vein or nicked an artery. Fortunately he was close to a hospital ER and got it taken care of.

William
01-22-2018, 10:38 AM
I hope she has a speedy recovery. Unfortunately there are lots of idiots out there with no regard for others. Back when I was riding and racing at OSU there was some idiot going around with a blow gun shooting darts at people.:crap:

William

shovelhd
01-22-2018, 11:28 AM
Not just Florida. This happened to a friend of mine in Plano TX. He panicked because he knew he'd been shot but didn't know if it was a 9mm or what. Lots of blood.The pellet must have hit a big vein or nicked an artery. Fortunately he was close to a hospital ER and got it taken care of.

I was just out in Plano last month for work, without the bike. I couldn't get over how dangerous it would be to ride there. 4-5 lanes on each side, and no shoulder at all. Tons of road cuts as you ride from mall to mall. I'm glad I left the bike at home.

Nobody should be shot at though.

Mr. Pink
01-22-2018, 11:56 AM
Florida.... is so weird

Yes, it is, isn't it.

This was sent to me from a friend a week ago as he was visiting West Palm. Awesome.

Tony
01-22-2018, 11:59 AM
Looks like a Pointed .177 Caliber, made for penetration. Most likely shot from a riffle with 1000+fps.

Dave B
01-22-2018, 12:18 PM
What makes another person want to shoot a total stranger? Pellet gun or machine gun, I don't understand that type of hatred or senseless violence.

Yeah I did stupid **** as a kid, but my goal was not to hurt anyone, it was usually preceded by, "Hey yall watch this!"

Regardless I hope she is ok and they catch the d-bags who did this and burry them under the jail.

54ny77
01-22-2018, 12:21 PM
that's def. a .177 pointed tip.

sickening. just sickening.

Looks like a Pointed .177 Caliber, made for penetration. Most likely shot from a riffle with 1000+fps.

ColonelJLloyd
01-22-2018, 12:30 PM
Really hope all the people in that car are found and made an example of like the teens who threw that rock off the overpass and killed that poor guy.

Keith A
01-22-2018, 12:48 PM
Really hope all the people in that car are found and made an example of like the teens who threw that rock off the overpass and killed that poor guy.I agree, but I'm guessing the chances are slim that they will be found without having the license plate.

BobO
01-22-2018, 01:02 PM

I have a pellet rifle that shoots .177 @ greater than 1400 fps and it won't penetrate like that even with pointed tips. I'm assuming this was some sort of pistol since it was fired from a car, educated guess based on that is this was some sort of heavily modified CO2 gun that fires in the 1800 fps range. Almost 22 short performance. If so, this is a very dangerous person as that gun is lethal. I'd say it's a safe bet this isn't the last incident with these people.

Best wishes to the victim on a full recovery.

weaponsgrade
01-22-2018, 01:07 PM
Aren't these things made of lead? I hope they catch the person. I had a summer job in CT once that involved traveling all over the state to inspect overhead signs. One time we came across a few lawn chairs up on a slope with empty beer cans and shell casings scattered on the ground.

Tony
01-22-2018, 01:13 PM
I have a pellet rifle that shoots .177 @ greater than 1400 fps and it won't penetrate like that even with pointed tips. I'm assuming this was some sort of pistol since it was fired from a car, educated guess based on that is this was some sort of heavily modified CO2 gun that fires in the 1800 fps range. Almost 22 short performance. If so, this is a very dangerous person as that gun is lethal. I'd say it's a safe bet this isn't the last incident with these people.

Best wishes to the victim on a full recovery.

My riffle will, (1000 fps, super tuned) easily go through a large rat with pointed tips, no problem.
A pistol with 1400+ fps is going to be pricey, maybe over $500.00 Thinking these were stupid kids with their hunting riffle.

C40_guy
01-22-2018, 01:49 PM
Yes, it is, isn't it.

This was sent to me from a friend a week ago as he was visiting West Palm. Awesome.

If you've ridden A1A in that area, you'd know that the pictured flags and lights are a relatively conservative approach to being seen by the senior drivers on those roads.

I kept a bike for a while at my inlaws in that area...and riding there just terrified me!

Mr. Pink
01-22-2018, 02:37 PM
If you've ridden A1A in that area, you'd know that the pictured flags and lights are a relatively conservative approach to being seen by the senior drivers on those roads.

I kept a bike for a while at my inlaws in that area...and riding there just terrified me!

Ha, yeah, when I moved to Florida for a few years back in the 80s, I thought, cool, I'll buy a motorcycle, year round riding! Took a few months before that became a bad idea. Seniors with the windows rolled up, air blasting, and Muzak radio station turned up because of the bad ears? No thanks. Some probably wouldn't even know they had contact with you.

biker72
01-22-2018, 02:38 PM
I was just out in Plano last month for work, without the bike. I couldn't get over how dangerous it would be to ride there. 4-5 lanes on each side, and no shoulder at all. Tons of road cuts as you ride from mall to mall. I'm glad I left the bike at home.

Nobody should be shot at though.

There are good safe places to ride. But you're right there are a lot of areas that I avoid. Conditions have gotten better the last few years. Still nothing like Minneapolis or Denver.

shoota
01-22-2018, 02:43 PM
Happened to me on a MUP in Tampa. Kids in a tree, luckily they missed.

Matthew
01-22-2018, 02:52 PM
Florida really has nothing to do with it. Assholes are everywhere. Our group had a diesel exhaust spewing Ford pickup drive straight at us then swerve over at the last second last summer. Caused a nasty crash in our group with one going to the hospital. Prick never even slowed down. Much of humanity sucks right now.

zap
01-22-2018, 03:23 PM

Interesting.

Compared to metro D.C., I find south florida to be a cyclist dream when it comes to motorists respecting cyclists. I mean sure, senior citizens do run red lights on occasion so you have to watch for that........but A1A between Lauderdale and Palm Beach is about as relaxed as it gets.

Keith A
01-22-2018, 05:34 PM
She made the local news. Hopefully someone might have seen this happen or know the losers that did this.

djg21
01-22-2018, 06:47 PM
Florida really has nothing to do with it. Assholes are everywhere. Our group had a diesel exhaust spewing Ford pickup drive straight at us then swerve over at the last second last summer. Caused a nasty crash in our group with one going to the hospital. Prick never even slowed down. Much of humanity sucks right now.

This happened to me twice on the weekend following the election in rural upstate NY. One truck had a Confederate flag and a Klan flag (https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/blood-drop-cross) flying from flag poles in the bed of the truck (no exaggeration). Both had MAGA bumper stickers.

Not only do I have the Fly 12 and Fly 6 now, but I also carry a Kimber Pepper Blaster in my jersey pocket in the event that I am confronted by one of these assholes.

ripvanrando
01-22-2018, 07:33 PM
The penetration does not surprise me at all. The coronal view is correct as the pellet entered from the side (sagittal). Pellet guns are legal to hunt with in my state and I've used it a few times, it has penetration. My air rifle will shut thru 3/8 or 1/2 inch plywood. I use 3/4 inch, a layer of matt, and then another layer of plywood on my backstop. I would not want lead in me.

I hope they catch those criminal, dirtbags. What is wrong with people.

ERK55
01-22-2018, 08:09 PM
If shot in the temple (or eye) this would have a different outcome.

Keith A
01-22-2018, 08:55 PM
Here's the story that made our local news...
https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/local-news/woman-shot-in-leg-with-pellet-gun-while-riding-bike

AngryScientist
01-22-2018, 09:38 PM
This is terrible Keith. Those people should be ashamed of themselves.

Frankwurst
01-22-2018, 11:09 PM
This is terrible Keith. Those people should be ashamed of themselves.

You're right but people like this are to stupid to be ashamed of the things they do to hurt others. :beer:

rustychisel
01-22-2018, 11:30 PM
This is rubbish news, but now that it's made the news perhaps police will go the extra yard.

they have place, time and victim. Need they examine CCTV and speed camera files etc from the area? Call for dashcam footage from citizens? If they want it enough these cretins will be identified.

fiamme red
01-22-2018, 11:33 PM
Here's the story that made our local news...
https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/local-news/woman-shot-in-leg-with-pellet-gun-while-riding-bikeI wonder why this article doesn't mention her last name? Two others do.

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2018/01/22/satellite-beach-cyclist-shot-pellet-gun/1055319001/

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/woman-says-she-was-hit-by-shot-from-pellet-gun-while-riding-bicycle-in-melbourne

ripvanrando
01-23-2018, 06:04 AM
Normally, I doubt the police would do anything. I was repeatedly run off the road by a car that would circle back and try to run me over. I got the plate and description. The Middletown, Massachusetts police department laughed me out the door.

rustychisel
01-23-2018, 06:38 AM
Normally, I doubt the police would do anything. I was repeatedly run off the road by a car that would circle back and try to run me over. I got the plate and description. The Middletown, Massachusetts police department laughed me out the door.

And there's a big part of the problem right there, hmmm?

marciero
01-23-2018, 06:39 AM
Beyond disturbing, and sickening. Best wishes for full recovery.

oldpotatoe
01-23-2018, 06:45 AM

I guess a huge YMMV..3 kids in a car yelled at me while I was riding by a HS..hanging out the window. I called the cops and they visited the driver's parents..'conveying a threat'...

BUT hope these knuckleheads get caught and prosecuted..maybe get to meet 'bubba' ...

GregL
01-23-2018, 07:25 AM
My experience has been much better. The only time I was overtly threatened by a road raging driver, I was able to get a license plate number and vehicle make/model. The local police interviewed the driver and told him that he was on their "watch list" for bad behavior. The officer personally followed up with me, telling me that he believed my account 100% based on his interview with the driver. Under the circumstances, I could not have asked for more from the police.

Greg

fignon's barber
01-23-2018, 08:34 AM
I was watching a Cycling Maven vlog episode where Maven went to Stephen Roche's cycling camp, run by Roche's daughter. The Maven asked her if her father got out on the bike daily now,being an ex pro. She answered, " Honestly, he runs now. Drivers are just too aggressive now". Sad.

thwart
01-23-2018, 11:01 AM
I was watching a Cycling Maven vlog episode where Maven went to Stephen Roche's cycling camp, run by Roche's daughter. The Maven asked her if her father got out on the bike daily now, being an ex pro. She answered, "Honestly, he runs now. Drivers are just too aggressive now". Sad.

That's quite a statement.

Begs the question: what can be done to dial it back?

ripvanrando
01-23-2018, 12:32 PM
I did talk to my local PD about a motorist issue (like what do I do question pertaining to a specific incident) and he turned the whole discussion around to basically said they were sick of cyclists riding 3 abreast and they constantly get complaints from local citizens. Also that he had put the light and siren on to get them to move over and the riders still would not go single file so he could pass. The Officer told me the Chief said he should have pulled them all over and given a ticket. So, my experience is not the best with law enforcement being empathetic. From various collisions and deaths, the investigations are piss poor.

I hope the Local PD pulls the video and catches the SOB criminal who shot this young lady in the leg. This warrants a felony conviction and 5+

Keith A
01-23-2018, 07:30 PM
Looks like my friend gets to keep this little souvenir in her body. Surgeon said it would do more damage trying to remove it.

rwsaunders
01-23-2018, 07:40 PM
I checked the 0.177 ammo cans that I have and they are hollow point and they do contain lead. I guess that the lead content is not high enough to worry about. I will send some good karma in the direction of your friend and I will also keep my fingers crossed, so that they catch the POS.

Louis
01-23-2018, 07:51 PM
My father is currently 84 yrs old. Five years ago he was shot in the shoulder in a robbery attempt. (He was in his car when he was approached by the bad guy and he decided to make a run for it - the car itself took nine rounds, the rear window shattered, etc - just like in the movies. He was semi-lucky and hit only once.)

He managed to make it to a hospital where they decided that it would be best to just leave the bullet in there. I don't think he ever told me (or if he ever found out) the caliber. You can still see a small scar just below his right shoulder blade.

So far so good, with no aftereffects.

Pastashop
01-23-2018, 08:56 PM
Wishing your friend a speedy recovery and a renewal of spirit. It’s hard to get over this kind of senseless crap, so stay strong.

Pastashop
01-23-2018, 10:38 PM
I did talk to my local PD about a motorist issue (like what do I do question pertaining to a specific incident) and he turned the whole discussion around to basically said they were sick of cyclists riding 3 abreast and they constantly get complaints from local citizens. Also that he had put the light and siren on to get them to move over and the riders still would not go single file so he could pass. The Officer told me the Chief said he should have pulled them all over and given a ticket. So, my experience is not the best with law enforcement being empathetic. From various collisions and deaths, the investigations are piss poor.

I hope the Local PD pulls the video and catches the SOB criminal who shot this young lady in the leg. This warrants a felony conviction and 5+

Then there's this:

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2018/01/get-jail-free-cards.html

Dave Ferris
01-24-2018, 12:04 AM
Sending her well wishes for healing and recovery - both physical and mental. I can only hope that they somehow miraculously catch these cretins. :mad:

ColonelJLloyd
01-24-2018, 12:10 PM
I checked the 0.177 ammo cans that I have and they are hollow point and they do contain lead. I guess that the lead content is not high enough to worry about.

I don't think lead is all that harmful to adults. As I understand it, it is dangerous to children with developing brains and skeletal systems because the body mistakes the lead for calcium and deposits it in tissue and bone. Something like that.

Jaybee
01-24-2018, 12:43 PM
I don't think lead is all that harmful to adults. As I understand it, it is dangerous to children with developing brains and skeletal systems because the body mistakes the lead for calcium and deposits it in tissue and bone. Something like that.

It's more dangerous to kids, but it can still cause kidney and brain issues in adults, sometime anemia too. Ingestion and inhalation are the highest risks.