PDA

View Full Version : First ride on a “superbike”

fa63
01-21-2018, 07:32 PM
Superbike in this case - in the sense of a modern, oversized carbon bike and not so much a more boutique one - is a 2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL with Ultegra Di2 and HED Belgium Plus / WI T11 wheelset (with a WI Daisy "tandem" front hub; curious choice by previous owner). Also, Giant carbon stem (which is giant indeed, makes Zipp Sprint stem look tiny in comparison) and Giant Contact SLR aero handlebar.

I found a used one locally for a good price and decided to give it a try. Weighs 7.5 kg / 16.5 lbs with pedals (size Large). Lightest bike I have had by about a pound.

Set it up to match my fit measurements, and took it out this morning for the first proper ride. About 40 miles in rolling terrain. I have ridden this course many many times, and today just felt great. And I haven’t ridden a bike in three weeks, and I am way out of shape. Rode the course faster than I have in a long time (by about 1 mph). The bike felt especially good going uphill. Maybe there is something to those short chainstays. Or it is just the placebo effect [emoji4] Also surprisingly comfortable; despite the relatively skinny tires I have on there.

I also have to say that Di2 is pretty amazing. Crisp shifts, no need to trim, shifts effortlessly under load, etc.

Oh, and here is a quick shot of the bike right after I bought it. There are bottle cages on it now, also different tires, saddle and pedals.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180122/3890616b59ec7db1c923531a0bdda242.jpg

batman1425
01-21-2018, 07:40 PM
Looks sharp. I had a TCR Advanced 0 back in 07/08. The last one before the came out with the ISP. Always liked these frames. Good value for dollar IMO. Ride the snot out of it!

weisan
01-21-2018, 07:42 PM
Just wait, you ain't see nuthin' yet...when you get back in shape, the superbike will feel like ultrabike. Trust me, I went through the same thing.

bob heinatz
01-21-2018, 08:13 PM
Almost makes me want to try a carbon bike.

R3awak3n
01-21-2018, 08:21 PM
I also took a superbike (by your definition at least :)) out today for the first time. Carbon parlee. My first carbon bike and was very pleased. It is a hell of a bike that is for sure.

AngryScientist
01-21-2018, 08:32 PM
next, if you get the opportunity - try some good wheels. trust me.

fa63
01-21-2018, 08:35 PM

Are you referring to carbon aero wheels?

instantturtle
01-21-2018, 08:43 PM
I remember something similar when I rode my friend’s Cervelo S2. Coming from aluminum, it was like a driving a Tesla from a Camry...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saab2000
01-21-2018, 09:08 PM
My same superbike doesn't disappoint. It's not magic, just good engineering.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3945/15476619020_03c209f2ee_b.jpg

Not really going back to boutique handbuilts with possibly a couple exceptions. For 98% of my road riding this is the best bike I've ever owned.

oldpotatoe
01-22-2018, 06:36 AM
Superbike in this case - in the sense of a modern, oversized carbon bike and not so much a more boutique one - is a 2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL with Ultegra Di2 and HED Belgium Plus / WI T11 wheelset (with a WI Daisy "tandem" front hub; curious choice by previous owner). Also, Giant carbon stem (which is giant indeed, makes Zipp Sprint stem look tiny in comparison) and Giant Contact SLR aero handlebar.

I found a used one locally for a good price and decided to give it a try. Weighs 7.5 kg / 16.5 lbs with pedals (size Large). Lightest bike I have had by about a pound.

Set it up to match my fit measurements, and took it out this morning for the first proper ride. About 40 miles in rolling terrain. I have ridden this course many many times, and today just felt great. And I haven’t ridden a bike in three weeks, and I am way out of shape. Rode the course faster than I have in a long time (by about 1 mph). The bike felt especially good going uphill. Maybe there is something to those short chainstays. Or it is just the placebo effect [emoji4] Also surprisingly comfortable; despite the relatively skinny tires I have on there.

I also have to say that Di2 is pretty amazing. Crisp shifts, no need to trim, shifts effortlessly under load, etc.

Oh, and here is a quick shot of the bike right after I bought it. There are bottle cages on it now, also different tires, saddle and pedals.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180122/3890616b59ec7db1c923531a0bdda242.jpg

Who cares..if ya like it, think it's a comfy, all day, great rig..ride it iike ya stole it. Doesn't matter why..remember the ride is about the ride, not the bike.

Kingfisher
01-22-2018, 06:46 AM
Who cares..if ya like it, think it's a comfy, all day, great rig..ride it iike ya stole it. Doesn't matter why..remember the ride is about the ride, not the bike.

Not to be a downer on this one, but I can understand the OP's review....but I've recently lost about 15 lbs and EVERY ride on any of my bikes is now a revelation. Light bikes are wonderful and I can definitely feel a difference between say Serotta legend ti, madone 7, emonda slr and my new total steel Zanc. But after and during the ride on the Zanc, on the same roads i've ridden hundreds of times I don't see a huge difference in time elapsed except...the loss of MY weight has had the most dramatic effect. Just say'nnn

oldpotatoe
01-22-2018, 07:04 AM
Not to be a downer on this one, but I can understand the OP's review....but I've recently lost about 15 lbs and EVERY ride on any of my bikes is now a revelation. Light bikes are wonderful and I can definitely feel a difference between say Serotta legend ti, madone 7, emonda slr and my new total steel Zanc. But after and during the ride on the Zanc, on the same roads i've ridden hundreds of times I don't see a huge difference in time elapsed except...the loss of MY weight has had the most dramatic effect. Just say'nnn

No doubt..I had a Waterford stainless and it was kinda boring..kept tiding it, but lost about 10 pounds and that was a revelation also. Now, if I lose 10 pounds my Merckx will weigh...only 10 pounds..:)

Sidenote, wonder when the UCI will come into the 21st century and make bike weight a percentage of rider's total weight rather than just 14.8 some pounds for everybody? Greipel having a 15 pound rig and some little shrimpy 135 pound pro having the same seems 'off'..:).

jlwdm
01-22-2018, 07:07 AM
Not a very light bike for a super bike, but your enjoyment is all that matters.

Jeff

fa63
01-22-2018, 07:10 AM
I have also had some of my best (fastest) rides on a Zanc, even though the bike was heavier, though back then I was much lighter [emoji4] That said, the ride on this Giant felt fast (noticeably so), and quantitatively ended up quite a bit faster than I am used to lately. Even my riding buddy, who drops me on climbs regularly, commented on my newfound climbing prowess. “It must be that Di2”, he joked several times during the ride [emoji4]

fa63
01-22-2018, 07:18 AM
Not a very light bike for a super bike, but your enjoyment is all that matters.

Jeff

It is not bad considering the wheels are heavy (around 1,800g; the spokes seem heavy-duty plus that front hub), and it is Ultegra. That stem must weigh a ton as well. But you are right; it is not in the true superbike realm.

mcteague
01-22-2018, 07:29 AM

HED rims and WI hubs are not "good wheels"? :crap:

Tim

R3awak3n
01-22-2018, 07:42 AM
HED rims and WI hubs are not "good wheels"? :crap:

Tim

Dont think those are WI hubs, also at 1800g, on the heavy side. I am sure they ride fine though but a nice 1500g might make a difference to some

fa63
01-22-2018, 07:50 AM
They are WI hubs indeed; the rear is a T11 but the front is the “Daisy” model; normally meant for tandem wheels:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180122/aa248e143535cde1c115681ee1ab98c0.jpg

The previous owner said he was trying to build the ultimate training wheels. I think he got a little carried away...

R3awak3n
01-22-2018, 08:16 AM
They are WI hubs indeed; the rear is a T11 but the front is the “Daisy” model; normally meant for tandem wheels:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180122/aa248e143535cde1c115681ee1ab98c0.jpg

The previous owner said he was trying to build the ultimate training wheels. I think he got a little carried away...

ah thats interesting, never had seen those.

I mean 1800g wheel is not that crazy but yeah, no need for tandem hubs lol.

wallymann
01-22-2018, 08:28 AM
Maybe there is something to those short chainstays.

sweet bike.

short stays can be fun, but after a couple big events in *****ty/flandrian conditions (fast moving echelons in sideways rain with heavy gusting winds) i gave up on them. what feels sweet and zippy in benign conditions turns into a handful making an already demanding event become a nightmare. now all my go-fast bikes all have >= 41cm chainstays.

Gummee
01-22-2018, 08:47 AM
Had a TCR with an ISP. Fast bike indeed.

Add some deep section carbon on for a truly amazing ride. ...especially at the top end

Ultimately, the ISP and my 'Eddy Merckx-like' fiddling with saddle height didn't get along.

M

weisan
01-22-2018, 10:34 AM
fa pal, I won't worry about upgrading the wheels for now....you would know when the time comes.

fa63
01-22-2018, 10:38 AM
fa pal, I won't worry about upgrading the wheels for now....you would know when the time comes.

I am happy with these for now. Not to mention I have a couple lighter sets in my arsenal of wheels :)

Jaybee
01-22-2018, 10:39 AM
So how would you compare this "superbike" and the VXRS you have in the classifieds?

fa63
01-22-2018, 10:45 AM
I will have to ride them back-to-back and report. It has been a couple weeks since I last rode the Time, which rides very well also, but I don't remember having the same reaction to riding the VXRS for the first time.

Matthew
01-22-2018, 02:55 PM
Nice bike! And saabs Giant is one of the nicest I've seen. Looks great

benb
01-22-2018, 02:59 PM
Nice looking bike.

I totally get feeling great getting on a new bike... :banana:

The only problem is there is a huge placebo effect, I bet you put out a lot of extra watts (within your limits) on those first few rides. The new bike excitement is kind of the same as the boost you get when you clip in at the start of a race. I know it happens for me. Bike seems fast but really it's new bike motivation and I just push harder.

Eventually you wear that effect out... no glycogen left and the bubble bursts (a little). :mad:

Kingfisher
01-22-2018, 04:05 PM
Nice looking bike.

I totally get feeling great getting on a new bike... :banana:

The only problem is there is a huge placebo effect, I bet you put out a lot of extra watts (within your limits) on those first few rides. The new bike excitement is kind of the same as the boost you get when you clip in at the start of a race. I know it happens for me. Bike seems fast but really it's new bike motivation and I just push harder.

Eventually you wear that effect out... no glycogen left and the bubble bursts (a little). :mad:

Absolutely true....it will wear off in a bit

fa63
01-22-2018, 04:15 PM
The thing is, when I drove to the start of the ride, I was not excited at all. In fact, I didn't really want to be there in the first place (just lacking motivation to ride lately). But as I started riding, I started to feel better and better, partly due to the fact that everything seemed to come a little easier. And by the end of it, when I looked at my ride stats (after I came home; I had my Garmin set to show only the map and no ride stats during the ride), I realized my sensations were indeed backed up by the numbers.

Either way, I guess we will see if the pattern continues (next weekend will be another route that I have done many times, including some climbs where I can test myself) :)