PDA

View Full Version : Campy BB Ceramic bearing problem.. thoughts ??

UKBROOKLYN
01-21-2018, 03:54 PM
I am throwing tis one out there..
Super record Pre EVO
Had this on and off little tick from my right pedal for a few rides and as one would expect was going out of my tiny mind trying to isolate the problem. Did everything possible before removing the cranks.. And Aha !! I go to pull the cranks and notice that the little drive side spring clip is missing. Have no Idea how/when that left the party....
Anyway.. Left side bearing spins feels great.. Drive side bearing spins great but has a tiny bit of sideways play. I can almost replicate a little tick sound when sliding it sideways.
So OK I have read all sorts of stuff on the web about the spring not being needed,, (Not from Campy I hasten to add..) But now I wonder did the loss of the spring promote this side slop in the bearing. Will the installation of a new clip temporarily remedy the situation.. Do I have to replace both bearings..

Discuss...

lhuerta
01-21-2018, 04:19 PM
...not sure what pre EVO means?....but regardless, the crank needs to be installed with both the c-clip on driveside and the wavy washer on the non-drive side (if u r using Campy cups). I am going to predict that the "click" u r hearing is likely not the BB bearings but perhaps the cups or other non-BB related issue, but need more info? How many miles on your cranks? press fit or threaded? When did u last service?

The CULT bearings last "almost forever" if properly maintained....my SR 2009 cranks just turned 20K and the bearings are still humming along.

Share more info....

bigbill
01-21-2018, 04:30 PM
I'm confused about what's happening. The drive side clip is to retain the crankset and the non drive side wavy washer is preload the crankset so the bearings can have a tiny bit of motion but always return to position. The wavy washer is absolutely required. I had a bearing fail on the NDS and when I took the crank out, the wavy washer was broken. The broken washer is likely the cause of the bearing failure.

The campy engineers that designed the system know best, put it together with all the parts. As far as your noise, it's likely not the bearings.

UKBROOKLYN
01-21-2018, 04:32 PM
EVO is the new design for Campy that came out in 2016.. The BB system is the same though.

I have about 10K miles on this BB never serviced since installation. The clip was installed and was there until it decided to not be.. don't know when that happened.. The cups are fine.. properly installed.. The only way I can replicate the tick is as I said by moving the DS bearing outer race back and forth.

UKBROOKLYN
01-21-2018, 04:37 PM
I'm confused about what's happening. The drive side clip is to retain the crankset and the non drive side wavy washer is preload the crankset so the bearings can have a tiny bit of motion but always return to position. The wavy washer is absolutely required. I had a bearing fail on the NDS and when I took the crank out, the wavy washer was broken. The broken washer is likely the cause of the bearing failure.

The campy engineers that designed the system know best, put it together with all the parts. As far as your noise, it's likely not the bearings.

As I think I stated the BB was put together as per the book..

UKBROOKLYN
01-21-2018, 04:42 PM
Hey folks heres a link to a YouTube clip I just made..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0GZyngJb5s

bigbill
01-21-2018, 05:00 PM
Put a new clip on it. They're cheap. Buy two, they corrode and break. You're going to need one anyway and Cult bearings are expensive. I'd spend the $12 first. When I had a bearing fail (USB), it was a constant ticking and it was only the NDS bearing but I replaced both.

I'm sure you know, but just in case, if you replace with USB or Steel, you'll need the Record cups with the inner seal that USB doesn't need.

ultraman6970
01-21-2018, 05:02 PM
Check out the wavy washer tho, you might need to replace it aswell.

UKBROOKLYN
01-21-2018, 05:06 PM
I am definitely stocking up on the clips.. question is how long I can get away with this sideways motion in the bearing..

ultraman6970
01-21-2018, 05:10 PM
If you put an extra (or 2) wavy washer probably you can be like that for a while before getting in famous noise in the BB :D

You can put an old clip tho, do you have more BBs moving around?

oldpotatoe
01-21-2018, 05:13 PM
I am throwing tis one out there..
Super record Pre EVO
Had this on and off little tick from my right pedal for a few rides and as one would expect was going out of my tiny mind trying to isolate the problem. Did everything possible before removing the cranks.. And Aha !! I go to pull the cranks and notice that the little drive side spring clip is missing. Have no Idea how/when that left the party....
Anyway.. Left side bearing spins feels great.. Drive side bearing spins great but has a tiny bit of sideways play. I can almost replicate a little tick sound when sliding it sideways.
So OK I have read all sorts of stuff on the web about the spring not being needed,, (Not from Campy I hasten to add..) But now I wonder did the loss of the spring promote this side slop in the bearing. Will the installation of a new clip temporarily remedy the situation.. Do I have to replace both bearings..

Discuss...

I’d say replace the RH bearing, should have no play. Lotsa grease inside cups, grease inside BB she’ll, cups tight. Yup, use the clip and wavy washer.

UKBROOKLYN
01-21-2018, 05:15 PM
I was waiting for Old P to comment.. I was afraid that might be it.. I will probably order a set from the UK half the price and meanwhile pop in a new clip.. Just hoping to source one in NYC..

oldpotatoe
01-21-2018, 05:27 PM
I was waiting for Old P to comment.. I was afraid that might be it.. I will probably order a set from the UK half the price and meanwhile pop in a new clip.. Just hoping to source one in NYC..

I have bearings, Wheels Man ones, $40 per, ceramic. Remember to remove clip on crank spindle before pulling bearing

FlashUNC
01-21-2018, 05:58 PM
The bearing will die at some point. Next time ignore the Internet and do what Campy tells you. Put in the wavy washer.

And you may want to check the cups if you had the bearing slopping around in there.

UKBROOKLYN
01-21-2018, 06:02 PM
As previously stated I installed the BB as per the book.. Wavy washer, Spring clip et all..

FlashUNC
01-21-2018, 06:04 PM
As previously stated I installed the BB as per the book.. Wavy washer, Spring clip et all..

Should still check the cups. Last thing you need is a replacement bearing sent to an early grave because the prior bearing wore the cups out of round.

bigbill
01-21-2018, 06:38 PM
I have bearings, Wheels Man ones, $40 per, ceramic. Remember to remove clip on crank spindle before pulling bearing

I don't see them on the site. I keep a set of Chorus steel bearings in my toolbox and I get them for around $35 a set. When I do bike road trips, my toolbox has everything to change out a set of bearings plus a wavy washer, clip, and cups. I'd hate to not be able to ride. Five years ago, I replaced a set of bearings in the Holiday Inn parking lot in Fountain Hills, AZ.

AngryScientist
01-21-2018, 06:56 PM
Should still check the cups. Last thing you need is a replacement bearing sent to an early grave because the prior bearing wore the cups out of round.

personally, i have to change UT bearings so un-often, and they are relatively so cheap that i wouldnt consider changing a set of bearings without just getting new cups. just makes good sense to replace the cups at the same time.

similarly - if one bearing went out, i would just do both at the same time.

re-set to new.

lhuerta
01-21-2018, 07:06 PM
....last I checked bike-discount.de had the CULT bearings at fair price.

I am in NYC and have all the tools to remove and install bearings (5 min job) and pretty sure I have a few spare c-clips in spares box that u can have. Bring it over and we can knock it out over a beer. PM me if u need asssistance. Lou

bigbill
01-21-2018, 07:07 PM
personally, i have to change UT bearings so un-often, and they are relatively so cheap that i wouldnt consider changing a set of bearings without just getting new cups. just makes good sense to replace the cups at the same time.

similarly - if one bearing went out, i would just do both at the same time.

re-set to new.

That's why I keep a set of cups around. Two sets actually because the Pegoretti is Aye-talian and everything else stays tight.

oldpotatoe
01-21-2018, 07:10 PM
I don't see them on the site. I keep a set of Chorus steel bearings in my toolbox and I get them for around $35 a set. When I do bike road trips, my toolbox has everything to change out a set of bearings plus a wavy washer, clip, and cups. I'd hate to not be able to ride. Five years ago, I replaced a set of bearings in the Holiday Inn parking lot in Fountain Hills, AZ.

They don’t have them anymore, I bought them. Yup, steel bearings are a great idea.

campy man
01-21-2018, 09:23 PM
Spud replaced the right(?) bearing on a used crankset I purchased via the Bay ... spun like butter afterwards :banana: