PDA

View Full Version : Crank Bros Quattro pedal rebuild info

Robbos
01-21-2018, 03:37 PM
I cannot seem to find any info online on how to take apart and service my Quattros, Crank Brothers seemed to have removed the info from their site. Any info and insights would be appreciated. Seems as though there are still a few rebuild kits out there too.

Cicli
01-21-2018, 04:18 PM
Remove the stainless covers by undoing the two thru bolts on each end. Then rebuild like a eggbeater. I used to like those pedals.

Robbos
01-21-2018, 04:24 PM
Does anyone know if it is mostly the same rebuild parts as Eggbeaters?

pasadena
01-21-2018, 04:46 PM
contact crank bros
they are very helpful

Robbos
01-24-2018, 09:30 AM
contact crank bros
they are very helpful

I did just this and was quite surprised. Fast response, friendly, but...
They appearently cannot locate any of the documents on how to rebuild
the Quattros(!). So they suggest sending the pedals to them for a rebuild.
Having worked on bikes for over two decades, would prefer to do it myself!
They say that the one part they are running out of (not to be replaced, I assume) are the 'plates'. Sans instructions or PDF parts catalogue, I have no idea what that part is on the Quattros. Any ideas?

Another experience that confirms why I am such a fan of SPD and SPD-SL pedals: Durable, easy to maintain, rebuild, etc. (except the 9100 pedals, or so I hear).

Ken Robb
01-24-2018, 09:53 AM
I would just take off the plates and go from there with disassembly. That probably means removing the dust caps and proceeding like other Crank Bros. models for which directions are still available. I don't think you can do any permanent damage considering your years of experience wrenching.

zennmotion
01-24-2018, 09:57 AM
I'm still running two sets of the Quattros, I really like them as I like the platform, good cleat retention (if the cleats aren't worn) and good for using MTB shoes on a road bike. That said, when they're dead they'll be replaced with SPDs. The "plates" I assume are the crescent shaped metal bits on the both outsides of the plastic platform. They're fastened on by the two tiny diameter, long hex-head through bolts. I've had the bolts loosen and lost the plates as a result- a weak point in the design. Too bad they can't be replaced anymore because the rest of the pedal uses standard eggbeater bits. Although my feet can't really feel any difference between the Quattros and newer Candy models if you want to stay with Crank Brothers- I'm kind of stuck with multiple shoes/CB cleats and pedals on most of my fleet, so a transfer to a different platform will be expensive.

Robbos
01-24-2018, 11:41 AM
I'm still running two sets of the Quattros, I really like them as I like the platform, good cleat retention (if the cleats aren't worn) and good for using MTB shoes on a road bike. That said, when they're dead they'll be replaced with SPDs. The "plates" I assume are the crescent shaped metal bits on the both outsides of the plastic platform. They're fastened on by the two tiny diameter, long hex-head through bolts. I've had the bolts loosen and lost the plates as a result- a weak point in the design. Too bad they can't be replaced anymore because the rest of the pedal uses standard eggbeater bits. Although my feet can't really feel any difference between the Quattros and newer Candy models if you want to stay with Crank Brothers- I'm kind of stuck with multiple shoes/CB cleats and pedals on most of my fleet, so a transfer to a different platform will be expensive.

Cool, thanks for the explanation. I figured those were the plates that SRAM was talking about, just didn't see how they could wear out. I simply slap some loctite on the assembly bolts when I reassemble them.