PDA

View Full Version : PowerTap G3 Hub Bearings Removal

Pierre
01-21-2018, 12:40 PM
Hi gang,
Alright I’ve discovered that I have zero talent for making YouTube videos and have a whole new appreciation for those that are well done, well lit, well executed, etc. I’m afraid that mine is...subpar.

So I put this together expecting that I would be able to demo the removal AND the installation of the bearings but my son (the camera man) lost patience with me as I struggled to get re-installation competed without issue. In the end I did but my camera man was gone.

So, here it is hoping it can be useful to someone out there. Please note that PowerTap suggests that the unit must be recalibrated when the bearings are replaced...so proceed at your own risk. This is the second unit I’ve done this with and have not noticed any issues. Of course I might be a watt or two off...who knows.

Reinstallation just means using the same methods as for removal. The only discovery I made (after several failed attempts) is that when pressing the drive side bearing back in you cannot put anything right up against the axle on the other side to exert pressure in the opposite direction. You must put a cup over the non drive side so that the pressure is exerted against the hub flange not the other end of the axle. Just ping me if you have any questions.

One more note, I used a threaded “10-24” rod from Home Depot for the job. Honestly, something a little bit thicker but still smaller than the axle ID would have worked better.

https://youtu.be/FVjPtllX4Dg