PDA

View Full Version : Velocity hubs: need to convert to Campy

Lewis Moon
01-21-2018, 09:15 AM
I got a set of Velocity A23 six bolt wheels with my Ridley X Fire and I need to switch it to Campy. I contacted Velocity and they said it couldn't be done. Any suggestions other than selling them? The Ambrosio conversion cassette is getting hard to find.

ultraman6970
01-21-2018, 09:17 AM
Sometimes is cheaper to just swap the whole hub. If you know how to lace a wheel obviously.

montag
01-21-2018, 09:50 AM
Jtek shiftmate?

Lewis Moon
01-21-2018, 10:29 AM
Sometimes is cheaper to just swap the whole hub. If you know how to lace a wheel obviously.

Yeah, I can build wheels. That's an option, but I hope to either find a conversion cassette or a freehub.

ultraman6970
01-21-2018, 11:14 AM
I got a pair of velocity wheels long time ago and by then to get campy bodies for those hubs pretty much was impossible. Velocity stuck to shimano because those are the guys that buy their stuff... would surprise me a lot if they actually made a campagnolo hub now a days.

As for the cassettes and the pulleys, they work ok IMO. Have used the miche 11 conversion plus the american classics 10 conversion, they worked ok but they were noisy because are just steel cogs, they will last for a while tho.

Used a wiggly pulley aswell to go from 11 shifters to 10 cassette and those work fine, it wont be noisy as going to steel cassette.

Ask for a hub, maybe somebody has a hub moving around and give it to you for almost nothing??

A new miche one you might be able to get it maybe for 60 bucks, maybe even less, and those you can convert to shimano or campy fairly quick. As at veloclasique, they have miche hubs individually I believe.

jemoryl
01-21-2018, 11:36 AM
I don't know who makes recent Velocity hubs, but I have a set of their Nuvian wheels (Aerohead rims laced to Velocity hubs) that are about 10 years old with a Campy rear hub. The hubs were clearly made by Formula, FWIW.

oldpotatoe
01-21-2018, 12:07 PM
I got a pair of velocity wheels long time ago and by then to get campy bodies for those hubs pretty much was impossible. Velocity stuck to shimano because those are the guys that buy their stuff... would surprise me a lot if they actually made a campagnolo hub now a days.

As for the cassettes and the pulleys, they work ok IMO. Have used the miche 11 conversion plus the american classics 10 conversion, they worked ok but they were noisy because are just steel cogs, they will last for a while tho.

Used a wiggly pulley aswell to go from 11 shifters to 10 cassette and those work fine, it wont be noisy as going to steel cassette.

Ask for a hub, maybe somebody has a hub moving around and give it to you for almost nothing??

A new miche one you might be able to get it maybe for 60 bucks, maybe even less, and those you can convert to shimano or campy fairly quick. As at veloclasique, they have miche hubs individually I believe.

They do have Campagnolo FH bodies, I have one, they pretty much have always had them. But for their road/non disc hubs.

bikinchris
01-21-2018, 06:08 PM
I got a set of Velocity A23 six bolt wheels with my Ridley X Fire and I need to switch it to Campy. I contacted Velocity and they said it couldn't be done. Any suggestions other than selling them? The Ambrosio conversion cassette is getting hard to find.

Have you tried the IRD cassettes?

Wheels MFG also makes spacer kits to convert Shimano cassettes to Campy 10 speed spacing. Yeah, you'll have to use a lower cost (heavier) cassette.