PDA

View Full Version : Campy upgraditis

bigman
09-30-2006, 06:32 PM
Been thinking about upgrading the 8spd record groupo on my newly acquired Serotta ti rig. I do not think the bike has 300 miles on it - and I really love the look of the hubs - but they are not 10 spd compatable so unfortunately they would have to go if I make a change. No real reason to make the change other than desire for new.

Anybody have any thoughts on how the 07 Cenatur components would compare 8spd record ?

Thanks

Karbon
09-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Been thinking about upgrading the 8spd record groupo on my newly acquired Serotta ti rig. I do not think the bike has 300 miles on it - and I really love the look of the hubs - but they are not 10 spd compatable so unfortunately they would have to go if I make a change. No real reason to make the change other than desire for new.

Anybody have any thoughts on how the 07 Cenatur components would compare 8spd record ?

Thanks

It is possible to upgrade the rear hub to 10s compatability, I have done it.

Jason E
09-30-2006, 08:38 PM
The Mechanic at the shop just came back from interbike and was very disappointed with the action of the Centaur Brifters. I have yet to see them, but as I understand it from him there are different actions now through the line, chorus/record v. Centaur and lower. I would like to know if the action in the shifters means you can not or can use the Chorus for example with a Centaur front Derailleur?

Has anyone fondled the Centaur and Chorus or Record and can give a little more info? I'm still waiting on some to come in to the shop.

He was knocked out of his Goth Boots by the Record Cranks, and he is not the sort, so that is impressive....

Input?

(forgive the format/grammer, I'm exhausted.)

Kane
09-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Truth is that the ten speed chain is a bad idea. It is the equivalent of the peter principle (one step beyond what works well). Nine speed chains last longer, they are cheaper and you don't need a 'special tool' to make it happen. If I were you I'd send your shifters to campy and have them rebuild them with nine speed. That way you can 'look forward' to the finicky crap associated with a final conversion to ten speed at some future date.

Cheers,

Kane

Thanks

Dave
10-01-2006, 12:46 PM
While you can upgrade an old 8 speed hub to 10 speed, it's not cheap, since the new cassette body is about $100. I wouldn't bother with it myself.

As for the suggestion or upgrade to nine speed - that's a waste of time and money, IMO. 9 speed is not well supported, since 10 speed has been in use for nearly 7 years now.

As for the 10 speed chain, I'm on my 7th season with 10 speed and never had chain problem. I got 6000 miles from my last chain.

You don't need a special tool to install a campy 10 chain. An ordinary Park CT-3 works fine. All you have to do is drape the chain around the BB shell to eliminate all tension on the chain while the HD-L pin is installed from the left side. If you want a quick link, the wipperman connex works great. Use the campy version for the older campy 10 chain or the shimano version for the new ultra narrow campy chain. A shimano 10 chain will also work fine, but if you choose a connex link, you want the campy version, not the shimano version. The shimano version is too narrow for a shimano chain, since this chain is wider across the inner plates than the wipperman chain it's really made to fit.

I would stick with chorus or record shifters for 2007. The lower level models no longer allow mutiple shifts with the thumb button. That's a major drawback, IMO. The 2007 QS (quick shift) shifters must be used with the new QS front derailleurs.

Marcusaurelius
10-01-2006, 07:08 PM
I've been buying 9 speed campagnolo parts whenever I can. As someone mentioned the 10 speed chain doesn't like as long as the 10 speed and costs significantly more. I have never fond any advantage of 10 over 9 speed except campagnolo wants everything 10 speed now.