PDA

View Full Version : My Interbike report

NAHBS
09-30-2006, 03:56 PM
Howdy Folks,

My Interbike experience this year was a great one, to say the least. Not just because I heard or "saw" the "buzz" about NAHBS all around the show, but because I met some great folks I hadn't met before. However, when I went to use my camera to document the meetings, I found out my batteries were dead! I was not really happy about missing those all too important "kodak moments".

The trip there was a nervous one for us as our pilot informed us 30 minutes into the flight we were turning around to DFW because an "indicator light said we had no electrical power", so the pilot dropped the landing gear at 27k feet. It made a lot of us very nervous and he came on later to explain that it was "precautionary to do so under the circumstances" which made us even more nervous.
We landed without incident and de-planed and waited for another plane so we could get to Vegas. That plane really did seem like there was something wrong with it...engines didn't seem like they were firing right or something.
We got there late, but better than not at all.

Now, onto my report.

I got to shake hands with legendary rider Felice Giomondi and had our (Lesley and I) picture taken with Greg Lemond, thanks to Brad from Dirt Rag!

It seems that everyone now has a track or fixie model frame. Trying to capitalize on a trend...

Most of the carbon bikes looked almost the same from the big boys. Very few of them actually made any differentiation between them. Not really impressed.

However, Parlee, Crumpton and Calfee all had nice stuff. (Nick had some crazy lightweight fixie there in the True Temper booth, that's worth a highlight note!) It seems everyone is playing the carbon "card" as their strength, but I wasn't impressed.
Again, without sounding repetitive, nothing that I saw from the big boys was impressive.
Oh yeah, Calfee did have some actual cowhorns for handlebars...that was pretty damn cool!

Don Ferris was there showing his brilliant fixtures, as usual, his booth seemed bustling.

Hank and Monika were there and they seemed busy every time I stopped by, so I didn't get a chance to really chat. Hank always seemed to be showing his jigs as well. I got to wave a couple times though. Busy is a good thing!

UBI and DeSalvo were always busy and it took us quite a few stops to actually catch Ron when he wasn't swamped. Mike was just as busy!

Independent Fab seemed to have a good sized crowd and I had to wait a while to chat with Matt. As usual, Matt hooked us up with some cool schwag, thanks!

Waterford had a polished stainless bike...lugs and tubes. Pretty *****en.

Reynolds was showing a Bertoletti 953 bike. looked pretty nice. Always nice to see Keith Noronha.

Columbus is introducing their Stainless set, the XCR, iirc. Those chainstays were totally cool. I want a pair!

Phil Wood's booth was constantly flooded with people...didn't get much time there, but we saw a PW private label bottle of Wine...Lesley's eyes opened a bit wider! I think she wants one or more....

Sycip seemed busy as well, thanks for the shirt! Cool chopper frame!

Lets see, what else?. Campi's new gruppo's were pretty impressive. New technology stuff, if you hadnt seen, was cool to say the least.

Shimano had the framebuilder challenge. I am happy to say that the three bikes there were all gorgeous and all from NAHBS exhibitors.
ANT took third, Rock Lobster second and Old Man Mountain won the challenge.
Congrats to those companies!

I met the head of Shimano Bicycle Division and asked if they could PLEASE make an outboard bearing Track Crank and BB. He raised an eyebrow as if to say, "hmmm, why arent we?" I hope my request gets remembered Monday morning! I took his biz card just so I can stay on top of it! ;)

Anyhoo, theres my report, with the exception of Interbike from a NAHBS persepctive....

BIG NAHBS NEWS!
It seems that Dario Pegoretti wants to come to our little shin-dig in March. So does Campi, and iirc, Lynskey Performance. There really seemed to be a buzz about NAHBS happening at Interbike and I kept on hearing about it. No matter who said something, it always made me feel like what I am doing is worthwhile and more folks are taking note. Gave me the "warm fuzzies".

Have a great weekend!

DW

bironi
09-30-2006, 05:04 PM
the NAHBS buzz. Please bring one to Seattle, Portland or Vancouver, B.C. down the road. I would love to visit one in my neighborhood. I have enjoyed the reports and pics posted here the first couple years. :beer:

Thanks much,
Byron

Too Tall
10-01-2006, 05:42 AM
Most excellent report Don, mucho gracias'.

NAHBS
10-01-2006, 08:09 AM
Most excellent report Don, mucho gracias'.

Only wish I had pics to "prove" I was there... ;)

DW

saab2000
10-01-2006, 08:26 AM
Are builders like Parlee and Calfee and Serotta also represented at the NAHBS? I am just curious. It seems like most of the bikes there are lugged steel (not that there's anything wrong with that) and kinda cool, but mostly one-off bikes.

Some of the larger (yet still small) companies like Serotta and Seven or Moots still are made by craftspeople and are not big bike corporations.

Do they show there too?

It is not a loaded question. Just curious.

mikemets
10-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Are builders like Parlee and Calfee and Serotta also represented at the NAHBS? I am just curious. It seems like most of the bikes there are lugged steel (not that there's anything wrong with that) and kinda cool, but mostly one-off bikes.

Some of the larger (yet still small) companies like Serotta and Seven or Moots still are made by craftspeople and are not big bike corporations.

Do they show there too?

Here you go:
http://www.handmadebicycleshow.com/framebuilders.html

NAHBS
10-01-2006, 08:57 AM

Do they show there too?

I have verbal commitments from Parlee. Serotta has had the reg. information now for a while, but I have yet to hear anything back.
Seven has been a hard nut to crack. We're on their radar, but they havent made a decision one way or another.

Same with Moots. They KNOW we are there, but cant seem to commit.

Calfee is returning for a 3rd year.

DW

Smiley
10-01-2006, 09:17 AM
DW , any plans to come to BALTIMORE soon ? I'll buy you the crab cakes hun :)

NAHBS
10-01-2006, 09:27 AM
DW , any plans to come to BALTIMORE soon ? I'll buy you the crab cakes hun :)

Smiley,

We are actively pursuing an east coast location for 2008/9. We have not had much luck as most of the venues are just way too costly for us poor framebuilders. No hotel discounts, either. Its a shame that these east coast cities have not made any effort to attract a show that has been growing...could be good for the local economy.

DW

Smiley
10-01-2006, 09:31 AM
Montgomery County MD has a new convention center located a block from Washington Metro and is connected to a new Marriott Hotel . DO you want me to call somebody in our county and set a discussion up. Fact is we'll put at least three frame builders up here at Casa Capitain , Sasha White , Richie Sachs and YOU. We'll organize a Nottrott Builders ride around the event.

Our local club PPTC sports over 3000 members and that does not include the Baltimore clubs etc. Come on Don lets give it a Yankee try

Smiley
10-01-2006, 09:34 AM
I can't commit my other Nottrott fellows but I am guessing that we can find homes for most of your frame builders here from our Merryland group to stay with :

TT
Zap
Sandy
RT
GD2002
znfdl
dig
zoomie
kornjulio
Palicia

NAHBS
10-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Thats cool, much appreciated. If you can get me a phone and contact person for that location, I can have my people talk to their people and someone will do lunch.
Seriously though, If they can get a package together, that would be very helpful.

DW

Steve-O
10-03-2006, 12:06 AM
Don,

Long time lurker on the Serotta forum. I must say that I had a heck of a lot more fun in San Jose in 2006 then I did in Vegas last week. Glad your show is taking off and I plan to be back this upcoming year. Looking at bikes that are functional and custom made for the rider is a heck of a lot more fun then trying to determine the difference between one carbon modulus versus another.

Steve

NAHBS
10-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks Steve!
Make sure you introduce yourself to me in March this year. I like putting faces with names.

Thanks again!

DW

MartyE
10-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Don,

Great report, nice to have a bit of a different perspective on things.
Now when are you bringing NAHBS back home to Texas?
IIRC Serotta was at the first NAHBS, be nice to see them at the next
ones.

marty

NAHBS
10-04-2006, 06:56 AM
Don,

Great report, nice to have a bit of a different perspective on things.
Now when are you bringing NAHBS back home to Texas?
IIRC Serotta was at the first NAHBS, be nice to see them at the next
ones.

marty

Marty,

It will be a cold day in .... when I bring it back to TX.
Seriously though, I doubt TX will ever have a shot at hosting NAHBS again. I just dont feel we have the type of consumer the builders are looking for imho.
Remember, I think TX is the #1 Trek riding state.

As for Serotta, no they were not at the first show in Houston. Brian Smith, a Serotta employee was, but NOT showing anything Serotta.

DW

Too Tall
10-04-2006, 07:08 AM
Jersey City. It will kill. Lots of empty gallery space avail. in Sept. and this is really important...Papaya King is nearby ;)

NAHBS
10-04-2006, 07:27 AM
Jersey City. It will kill. Lots of empty gallery space avail. in Sept. and this is really important...Papaya King is nearby ;)

I think I need to quote the Bloodhound Gang on this one....

Got the mike in my hand but can I make you understand
That a-hole bands have a-hole fans
Bloodhound's the name and the Gang's to blame
Like Chan n' Chin the Siamese twins it's one in the same
So fame ain't gonna live forever
Never worrying about dying cause it can't be any better
But whatever happens to happen always happens for the worst
And if the worst is yet to happen I hope it happens to you first
So hello Joe what do you know?
Heard ya just got back from a Bloodhound show
Did you do the Batussi or did you do the Hustle?
Did you do the Flamin' Waffle or the Super Bowl Shuffle?
No matter what you did you're gonna be amused
If you were not entertained you did not drink enough booze
If ya get your eyes a'fuzzin' then we'll get your ears a'buzzin'
Cause we play around the world you play around with your cousin
Bloodhound boys
Bloodhound girls
Bloodhound noise
Bloodhound world
Rock on rock on do it dusk til' dawn
Anywhere we go everywhere we've gone
Don't matter what state, what town, what show
Hell-bound Bloodhound going nowhere slow

We rock Philadelphia Baltimore Las Vegas Indianapolis
Louisville Atlanta New Orleans and Minneapolis
Houston Tucson Phoenix Buffalo
Tulsa Mobile Albuquerque Wichita and Orlando
Portland Salt Lake City Memphis Washington D.C.
Charlotte Oklahoma City Little Rock and Milwuakee
Cleveland Tampa Norfolk Dallas Raleigh Hartford Cincinnati
Boston Nashville Kansas City Chattanooga and Miami
Honolulu Richmond Austin Pittsburgh San Antonio
Baton Rouge and Anchorage and Birmingham and Toledo
Denver Detroit Dayton Spokane Fresno
And Jacksonville Colombus Springfield New York Sacramento
Los Angeles St. Paul St. Louis San Francisco
Madison Knoxville Seattle San Jose and San Diego
Jackson Omaha Des Moines Boise Providence Chicago
But no where in New Jersey that's the only place we won't go
Bloodhound boys
Bloodhound girls
Bloodhound noise
Bloodhound world
Hell-bound Bloodhound going nowhere slow
Hell-bound Bloodhound going nowhere slow.

:beer:
"going nowhere slow", Once Fierce Beercoaster.