PDA

View Full Version : PayPal question...again

PNW
01-19-2018, 04:20 PM
Has anyone encountered this when transferring funds from PayPal to your bank?

“Your transfer is delayed, for security reasons, we need a bit more time to review this transaction. “We’ll email you as soon as we have an update.”

I have never seen this or have ever had an issue...this seems off to me.

Clean39T
01-19-2018, 04:42 PM
I think it’s because certain transactions get flagged - I had that when sending /receiving between Oregon and Colorado lately - makes me think it’s related to MaryJane, but that’s probably tinfoil... It went through eventually though.

donevwil
01-19-2018, 04:42 PM
I have not. Was it in addition to the typical:

We are processing your request to transfer funds ......

Processing usually takes 3-5 business days but may vary by bank.

We estimate that these funds will be deposited by ......

We will notify you by email if we have any problems processing your request.

Sincerely,

PayPal

noonan1970
01-19-2018, 04:50 PM
you went directly to paypal.com and did not click on a link right? I don't think I've scene that either.

You could give them a call.

zmudshark
01-19-2018, 04:52 PM
They may want fees for an item that was listed on eBay and sold off eBay.

dustyrider
01-19-2018, 04:55 PM
Careful. I’ve gotten a rash of fraudulent PayPal emails lately asking me to click a link and log on. Look at your PayPal account and bank account before you trust an email!

tuscanyswe
01-19-2018, 04:57 PM
You did something you not normally do or sold some high risk item or similar.

They likely just want to keep your funds till something cleared to cover themselves.

pdmtong
01-19-2018, 04:57 PM
Careful. I’ve gotten a rash of fraudulent PayPal emails lately asking me to click a link and log on. Look at your PayPal account and bank account before you trust an email!

^this
NEVER click through to your account from an email

rnhood
01-19-2018, 04:58 PM
Never open an email seemingly from Paypal, unless the address includes the paypal name and, they address you in the mail by your proper full name. Otherwise, send it to the trash.

nobuseri
01-19-2018, 05:04 PM
Might be random. I had it done to me. Think less than $1500. Same bank account every time. Only one time, flagged. Took a couple extra days.

PNW
01-19-2018, 05:11 PM
It was from my PayPal app withdrawing funds like I’ve done dozens of times. It wasn’t a sketchy or fraudulent link. The transfer was a little over 2k so I’m guessing this is what caused the flag? It also wasn’t an item sold on eBay.

zank
01-19-2018, 05:46 PM
I have had that happen before. Took 5 days to complete if I remember correctly. Typically happens once every year or two for me.

kppolich
01-19-2018, 05:49 PM
It was from my PayPal app withdrawing funds like I’ve done dozens of times. It wasn’t a sketchy or fraudulent link. The transfer was a little over 2k so I’m guessing this is what caused the flag? It also wasn’t an item sold on eBay.

Interesting, only time I've had it happened is when the funds came from a source that hadn't cleared yet. Like a paypal check or someone who paypal'ed with a credit card.

PNW
01-19-2018, 05:51 PM
Interesting, only time I've had it happened is when the funds came from a source that hadn't cleared yet. Like a paypal check or someone who paypal'ed with a credit card.

Well I got paid for what I sold..the funds were in my account and available for transfer with no hold.

cadence90
01-19-2018, 05:57 PM
Has anyone encountered this when transferring funds from PayPal to your bank?

“Your transfer is delayed, for security reasons, we need a bit more time to review this transaction. “We’ll email you as soon as we have an update.”

I have never seen this or have ever had an issue...this seems off to me.

It seems your issue was resolved quickly, good.

But in any case, not really "off". PayPal seems to hold certain transfers from either newer clients, overseas clients, or both.

It has happened to me a few times with overseas clients, because PP (as they explained it to me) needs to wait for the different currencies to be converted by the banks, etc. before releasing the funds. It seemed entirely logical.

Hilltopperny
01-19-2018, 06:05 PM
I've had it hapen as well. Not typical, but a pain in the ass nonetheless. Not sure what triggers them to randomly withhold money, but I would call them and try to straighten things out asap.

homagesilkhope
01-19-2018, 06:25 PM
Never open an email seemingly from Paypal, unless the address includes the paypal name and, they address you in the mail by your proper full name. Otherwise, send it to the trash.

Just read this thread and next was checking my inbox where I found a new message from - purportedly - paypal Support with this headline. "Your account is limited you have to solve the problem in 24 hours"

Composition of the balance of the message was similarly egregious. Paypal logo and all but totally gobbledygooky address. And yes, no mention of my name anywhere. Don't think I would have clicked on the included link but thanks for the reminder/warning.

SpeedyChix
01-20-2018, 07:59 AM

They may be looking at the amount and in the end will ask for your ss for future withdrawals in excess of $1k/mo. Has to do with their reporting to i r s.

pbarry
01-20-2018, 09:19 AM
Happened to me, and funds credited in 2-3 days iirc.

PayPal has an expedited option for transferring funds to your bank. Fee is .49 or .79, (under a dollar) and funds are transferred in an hour or so.

ultraman6970
01-20-2018, 11:31 AM
GEt a paypal card, you will be able to w/draw no more than 500 a day (there is a limit per month) or something (cant remember) and you will pay the bank atm fees that arent more than 5 bucks maybe and you wont have the problem.

Next day you go to your bank to deposit cash and good to go.

PNW
02-07-2018, 01:13 PM
Just transferred under $100 on PayPal and it said, funds will be delayed for security reasons...has anyone seen this recently again?

deano87
02-07-2018, 04:31 PM
I assume your first post was about me, sorry about that!
Maybe it was because I was OS? dunno, very weird.

ultraman6970
02-07-2018, 04:34 PM
Get the paypal debit card... you will lose the atm fees but that will be quicker than playing the "we will play a few more days with your money" game.

Just transferred under $100 on PayPal and it said, funds will be delayed for security reasons...has anyone seen this recently again?

02-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Normally I get next-day transfer to Chase, with no restrictions.

Paypal has become a major vehicle for transferring funds within terrorist groups. As a result, the Treasury is looking on and scanning a certain percentage of transactions on Paypal to catch transfers made for such purposes. They do it to everyone, on a low-incidence random basis. There's a lower threshold below which they don't bother, but a significant eBay transaction goes on the list and they will pull a certain percentage of them to check details of the transfer route, originating account, etc., in their effort to catch terrorists. It's just a statistical sampling but it can be a pain. If you start pulling cash by other means, your sampling rate goes up so you don't get ahead. Just let them do their thing and they will start transitioning you to a low risk pool and reduce how much they delay things.

jemoryl
02-08-2018, 10:22 AM
The days of PayPal as a unicorn may be numbered. The guy who wrote this article knows what he is talking about (and the comments are good too):

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2018/02/paypal-demonstrates-what-happens-to-former-tech-unicorns-which-get-lame.html

PNW
02-08-2018, 10:42 AM
The days of PayPal as a unicorn may be numbered. The guy who wrote this article knows what he is talking about (and the comments are good too):

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2018/02/paypal-demonstrates-what-happens-to-former-tech-unicorns-which-get-lame.html

Great read..what other options do we have here on the forum? Venmo? Checks?

SpeedyChix
02-08-2018, 12:20 PM
^ Venmo is (or was) part of PayPal.

Possibly Zelle can work for some?

oldpotatoe
02-08-2018, 12:28 PM

I do this quite often(transfer to check acct) and have never seen this(?)...

FlashUNC
02-08-2018, 12:36 PM
Normally I get next-day transfer to Chase, with no restrictions.

Paypal has become a major vehicle for transferring funds within terrorist groups. As a result, the Treasury is looking on and scanning a certain percentage of transactions on Paypal to catch transfers made for such purposes. They do it to everyone, on a low-incidence random basis. There's a lower threshold below which they don't bother, but a significant eBay transaction goes on the list and they will pull a certain percentage of them to check details of the transfer route, originating account, etc., in their effort to catch terrorists. It's just a statistical sampling but it can be a pain. If you start pulling cash by other means, your sampling rate goes up so you don't get ahead. Just let them do their thing and they will start transitioning you to a low risk pool and reduce how much they delay things.

Its this. Its all under their AML/BSA/Patriot Act compliance program. They system will flag stuff -- on either end, at PayPal or your issuing bank -- to ensure you're not trying to launder money for criminal activities or fund terrorism or anything of the like.

Its not personal, nor bad service, nor trying to squeeze you for extra fees. Its all regulatory.