PDA

View Full Version : Rainlegs rock

Ray
09-30-2006, 01:09 PM
I just read this before posting and it sounds like a friggin' advert, so apologies in advance. I got no connections, as it were, just had a great experience with this product so I'm gonna shill for 'em for free:

Last winter or spring sometime, I bought a pair of rainlegs, which I'd seen reviewed elsewhere, I think on the IBOB list. Through seriously bad planning (taking them along on several rides, but none of the ones where I needed them - ie, TdFL), I hadn't actually tried them before today. Today started off cool and clear (mid-50s), but looked threatening enough that I figured I'd take my fendered bike with a jacket, saddle cover and the rainlegs in the saddlebag. Sure enough, about 45 minutes into the ride, a steady rain started and kept up for the remaining couple of hours that I rode. At first I just put the jacket on, but the rain kept up and got a bit heavier, so I put on the rainlegs and saddlecover.

Check 'em out here:

http://www.rainlegs.co.uk/description.php

These are the bese leg protection I've ever worn in the rain, by far. Poncho's work, but catch a LOT of wind, and I don't like them for anything beyond riding around town doing errands. Full on rain pants get too hot in anything but the coldest weather and are kind of ungainly as well. But these just keep the wet off of the tops of your thighs, where about 99% of it seems to hit. And they're totally open in back, so your legs breath and don't overheat (or trap all of the sweat). I've had some pretty epic rain rides over the years, but I don't think I've ever found one more pleasant than the one today. Between the jacket (Showers Pass, as long as I'm shilling) and the 'legs, nothing really got wet except my hands and feet, and it was warm enough for this not to matter. They look sort of dorky, but real men aren't afraid to look like Freds.

I suppose without fenders, the backs of your legs could still get pretty wet, but for those of you who ride befendered, check 'em out. Oh yeah, I also had a Rapha 'epic' cycling cap on under my helmet and these are pretty amazing too. They're cotton and feel like it, but they claim to be waterproof and they seem to actually pull it off. My head stayed dry as well without any sort of helmet cover.

So cool when your gear WORKS and gives you nothing to complain about.

-Ray

thejen12
09-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Where did you get them? Did you order them from the UK?

Thanks, Jenn

Ray
09-30-2006, 01:35 PM
Where did you get them? Did you order them from the UK?

Thanks, Jenn
Yeah, IIRC, I just ordered them off of their website. I may have gone through a UK online retailer, but I don't think so. Don't remember for sure. I don't know if anyone is selling them in the US yet, but somebody ought to.

-Ray