PDA

View Full Version : Handlebars..

orbea65
09-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Trying to decide on bars and stem for my new build. Is there any benefit to carbon bars over the standard aluminum bars like Deda Newtons?
Anyone use the Deda Alanera? Is it a major drawback that the bars cannot be rotated? Can you still mount STI shifters a bit higher than horizontal??
thx!

Smiley
09-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Best bars to mount STI brifters for level transitions to the bends DEDA 215 , forget all the other fancy Sh$t that costs more and does nothing else. Also forget that 31.8 nonsense too unless you got BIG paws :)

1centaur
09-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Any benefit? IMO, yes, but not a great proportion of the price differential. When I made my transition from aluminum Dedas to CF Dedas I could tell the difference in vibration and my hands got less numb (most numbness is due to position/fitness, but given that I was at a specific level the difference was still the difference). Also, CF bars are not cold on winter days. Back then, I said CF bars were 10% more comfortable at most, but I have bought CF bars ever since because I like that difference. Not worth the money - definitely - but that particular kind of vibration transmission is unavailable otherwise.

If you have enough money and dig CF in a frame big time, CF bars are worth a spin. If you like metal frames in general, or are insensitive to vibration differences that are slight, get aluminum.

jahah
09-30-2006, 05:23 PM
If you are going to install shimano shifters, you may want to take a look at the DEDA Supernatural. It is designed to allow the shifters to be more level and the ergo angle in the drops to be more natural. Also, the reach to the brakes in the drop position is more comfortable. I just changed out the newton bar for these on my CDA and so far, like the improvement. I paid $87 new with an internet retailer. (I wish I could remember which one - do a google search on DEDA Supernatural)

Jim