PDA

View Full Version : Taylor does yoga

Climb01742
01-18-2018, 05:54 PM
I find yoga very helpful. Came across this today. These are some very good, cycling-specific yoga poses. Winter's a great time to balance out our bodies.

https://blog.skratchlabs.com/blog/yoga-for-cyclists-with-taylor-phinney

weisan
01-18-2018, 06:04 PM
thank you climb pal.

A while back, some pal here posted a link to Abi Carver's youtube videos. Ever since then, I have been doing her 15-min routine designed for cyclists at least once or twice a week, it's been really really beneficial and impactful. I can see a lot of similar-type exercises/poses there and Taylor's. Admittedly, I do find perhaps Abi's poses a bit less intimidating, or easier to attain for a novice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmeSuYVEoio

Seramount
01-18-2018, 06:14 PM
yoga's good stuff.

been doing it since college (40+ years)...at 65, my flexibility is noticeably better than most of my age-peers. can still bust a headstand and plough pose with no effort.

people get all weirded about the name, just call it 'stretching' if that makes it more palatable...

MattTuck
01-18-2018, 06:24 PM
I'd like to see a climber/light weight rider in this same position. That musculature looks less than ideal for going up hill.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5579dd23e4b05840313697d2/t/5a372080f9619a424b78306e/1513565488601/IMG_7511.jpg?format=750w

Lovetoclimb
01-18-2018, 06:44 PM
^ painters muscles ...

Drmojo
01-18-2018, 06:55 PM
of RAAM fame and 508 impresario holds yoga sessions at all his events
great antidote for tight cyclists
doing it since 1979 when a gorgeous woman taught it at my college

72gmc
01-18-2018, 10:45 PM
Great for core strength

I've taken classes in the past, should make time to do it again

Thanks for the links!

Clean39T
01-18-2018, 10:56 PM
My wife is a big fan of Yoga with Adrien: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWzRE1BiAvw

marciero
01-19-2018, 05:14 AM
thank you climb pal.

A while back, some pal here posted a link to Abi Carver's youtube videos. Ever since then, I have been doing her 15-min routine designed for cyclists at least once or twice a week, it's been really really beneficial and impactful. I can see a lot of similar-type exercises/poses there and Taylor's. Admittedly, I do find perhaps Abi's poses a bit less intimidating, or easier to attain for a novice.

I also linked to her site from paceline. I started with her balancing and core workouts. I also use a lot of things from Dean Pohlman's Manflow yoga. His are great for the details about technique, such as engaging your core, ways to intensify the poses to get the most benefit, and protecting knees and back. Those workouts are pretty core and strength-intensive.

In my limited experience-6 months or so-yoga seems to give both an instant and a lasting benefit.

chiasticon
01-19-2018, 06:50 AM
does he have to be shirtless?

R3awak3n
01-19-2018, 06:54 AM
does he have to be shirtless?

Isnt that a requirement for yoga?:rolleyes:

PQJ
01-19-2018, 07:14 AM
Real men ride steel bikes, play golf with steel shafted clubs, do yoga shirtless, and don’t grab no pussycats.

Seriously, though, yoga is great for you. Ashtanga is my poison.

weisan
01-19-2018, 09:56 AM
My wife is a big fan of Yoga with Adrien: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWzRE1BiAvw

Adriene pal and I just had a very "mindful and loving" time together. In fact, I showed her a bit of what I have learned from Abi pal and she was very kind and receptive. We agreed to meet again soon. :p

simplemind
01-19-2018, 10:30 AM
Weisan pal, u da mon!

ptourkin
01-19-2018, 10:59 AM
of RAAM fame and 508 impresario holds yoga sessions at all his events
great antidote for tight cyclists
doing it since 1979 when a gorgeous woman taught it at my college

Yes, he used to. Cycling Camp San Diego runs the 508 now but Chris was around to help out. He's all about the Badwater series now.

I've saved the routines you guys posted. I need this. My hips got so tight from training by last year's 508 that I was sitting on the rivet all the time.

summilux
01-19-2018, 11:14 AM

+1 on this. I have done all of her series and I enjoy them tremendously. Her ab workouts are killers. She can occasionally be a bit preachy but I like doing yoga at home. I have tried going to a proper studio but being a middle-aged guy I am uncomfortable with the age/sex demographic there.

oldpotatoe
01-19-2018, 02:30 PM
Adriene pal and I just had a very "mindful and loving" time together. In fact, I showed her a bit of what I have learned from Abi pal and she was very kind and receptive. We agreed to meet again soon. :p

Followed by this no doubt...:)

https://youtu.be/deKHYCsjseg

Tickdoc
01-19-2018, 03:51 PM
thank you climb pal.

I could watch that all day.

texbike
01-20-2018, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the videos! Admittedly, I've never done yoga. It's been on my "to do" list for the last 10 years. Somehow, I never seem to get around to getting started. Honestly, the biggest stumbling block for me has been which yoga I should be doing. There are so many styles and approaches. So, "paralysis by analysis" for me as they say.

As a beginner whose goals are increased flexibility, a stronger core, better breathing, and a higher level of relaxation, which style would you guys suggest? I'm open to classes (which may be better for me at first to ensure that I'm getting it right) or at home.

Thanks!

Texbike

ptourkin
01-20-2018, 09:04 AM
I could watch that all day.

You should probably ask Mom to change the parental controls on your browser.

Climb01742
01-20-2018, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the videos! Admittedly, I've never done yoga. It's been on my "to do" list for the last 10 years. Somehow, I never seem to get around to getting started. Honestly, the biggest stumbling block for me has been which yoga I should be doing. There are so many styles and approaches. So, "paralysis by analysis" for me as they say.

As a beginner whose goals are increased flexibility, a stronger core, better breathing, and a higher level of relaxation, which style would you guys suggest? I'm open to classes (which may be better for me at first to ensure that I'm getting it right) or at home.

Thanks!

Texbike

Texbike,

I’d agree that a class might be best way to get started. Yoga is so much more effective, safer and yes, more fun when you get the small details of each pose right. Based on my experience, the type of yoga is less crucial than the teacher. Like so many things in life, the personality of the teacher has a dramatic impact on whether a class is worthwhile or not. Given you’re in Austin, I’m guessing Austin is overrun with yoga studios and classes, yes? I’d ask around. Ask for recommendations of teachers with a non-hard-ass attitude. Many studio have yoga for athletes classes. And every studio will list what level each class is geared for, beginner to expert. Start, not surprisingly, with beginner classes. And if you find a good teacher, consider doing a private class, where you can walk through your individual challenges and injuries and get targeted poses.

Sorry for long answer, but in short, ask around for a cool, mellow teacher. Sadly, yoga today has too many yoga nazi teachers who think harsher is better. It ain’t. Best teachers I’ve found are gentle souls who can just kick our butts.;)

texbike
01-21-2018, 05:00 PM
Texbike,

I’d agree that a class might be best way to get started. Yoga is so much more effective, safer and yes, more fun when you get the small details of each pose right. Based on my experience, the type of yoga is less crucial than the teacher. Like so many things in life, the personality of the teacher has a dramatic impact on whether a class is worthwhile or not. Given you’re in Austin, I’m guessing Austin is overrun with yoga studios and classes, yes? I’d ask around. Ask for recommendations of teachers with a non-hard-ass attitude. Many studio have yoga for athletes classes. And every studio will list what level each class is geared for, beginner to expert. Start, not surprisingly, with beginner classes. And if you find a good teacher, consider doing a private class, where you can walk through your individual challenges and injuries and get targeted poses.

Sorry for long answer, but in short, ask around for a cool, mellow teacher. Sadly, yoga today has too many yoga nazi teachers who think harsher is better. It ain’t. Best teachers I’ve found are gentle souls who can just kick our butts.;)

Thanks for the suggestions Climb. We have at least 5 studios within a 2 miles radius of our house that I'm aware of (maybe more...). So, yes, there is no shortage of yoga guidance. That's actually been part of the issue. However, I have a call set up tomorrow to talk with a friend and get their suggestions and guidance on local programs. Thanks again for the suggestions and for bringing this back to the forefront for me.

Cheers,

Texbike