PDA

View Full Version : MTB: Mercury Wheels Yes! No! Just OK!

heartattackride
01-17-2018, 01:52 PM
Seem like reviews are really good. Anyone have experience with them? Mostly the X3 boost 27.5+ but any real life info is appreciated.

foo_fighter
01-17-2018, 05:33 PM
If you're looking for an XD Driver 27.5+ boost wheel set, I've a got a set of RaceFace Aeffect Plus wheels. They are a little wider than the Mercurys at 40mm internal. They are take-offs from a new rig since I just built a set of carbon wheels. 9 degree engagement freehub and 5 extra spokes.

jamesdak
01-17-2018, 07:12 PM
Hmmmm, both them and Enve are in Ogden, UT where I live but I honestly can say I don't here them talked about. I can't justify the price for them or Enve when I can get Campagnolo wheels from the U.K. sites for so much cheaper.

In all honesty I'm not in the MB world so that may have something to do with it. I will say that on general you have a very honest, capable workforce in Utah and I'd be willing to bet that are producing a high quality product.

sales guy
01-17-2018, 07:25 PM
Mercury used to be based on Mississippi and then moved out to Utah a few years ago. The rims and hubs are Asian made. I was told the rims are not off the shelf but I would be surprised if Chris has the capital to make their own molds. Hubs are Joytech. Same ones used by a ton of people.

The wheels were being assembled by Velocity in Michigan. Not sure if they are still doing that but I wouldn't be surprised if it was still happening.

They are average. It's up to you. Nothing bad, nothing amazing. Just a decent wheel.

old fat man
01-17-2018, 09:01 PM
I had a good season of riding the x3+ boost 27.5 wheelset. Easy tubeless with gorilla tape and holding up at 13psi just fine. I plan on lots more miles with them this year.

Oh, I use them singlespeed without issue