PDA

View Full Version : PBP 2019 - Who's Going?

ptourkin
01-17-2018, 01:27 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Ib4rUt6.jpg

joosttx
01-17-2018, 01:37 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Ib4rUt6.jpg

We plan to go to Paris for our Aniversary next year. I wonder if I can tag this thing on to it....

ptourkin
01-17-2018, 01:43 PM
We plan to go to Paris for our Aniversary next year. I wonder if I can tag this thing on to it....

You're perfectly positioned. SFR has the most fun. If I can keep up, I'm hanging with them.

dogrange
01-17-2018, 01:57 PM

I think you might have to qualify for PBP by doing a bunch of sanctioned randonneur routes/events. I might be wrong, but you should check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ptourkin
01-17-2018, 02:00 PM
I think you might have to qualify for PBP by doing a bunch of sanctioned randonneur routes/events. I might be wrong, but you should check.

Yes, 200, 300, 400, 600 in 2019.

jtakeda
01-17-2018, 02:05 PM

You definitely do

Ps. There are $400 round trip flights to Paris right now

ripvanrando
01-17-2018, 03:46 PM
I'm thinking or should say dreaming of doing PB 2019.

joosttx
01-17-2018, 03:51 PM

True that you have to do a series 200 - 600 RUSA randos the same year to qualify

modernfuturist
01-17-2018, 04:15 PM
Going to try to do a full series this year (most distance I've done is around 400k) and gauge the feasibility of committing to PBP 2019!

unterhausen
01-17-2018, 04:46 PM
I want to go. I dnf'd my 600k after 500km in 2015, and didn't want to go to PBP badly enough to ride another one. Hoping to ride a 1200k or 1000k or both this year.

Ps. There are $400 round trip flights to Paris right now

but that's just for your bike. Actually, what airlines, and what do they charge for your bike? That was how much it cost to get my bike to PBP in 2011

72gmc
01-17-2018, 05:06 PM
what is going on with the rear wheel & tire on that poster?

muz
01-17-2018, 05:09 PM
You're perfectly positioned. SFR has the most fun. If I can keep up, I'm hanging with them.

San Francisco Randonneurs had 70 riders last time. While 3 finished under 54 hours, many more finished over 88 hours. I would like to go again next year.

If you haven't done a similar distance before, I would suggest getting started this year. SFR has a populaire this Sunday, good way to get your toes wet!

joosttx
01-17-2018, 06:19 PM
San Francisco Randonneurs had 70 riders last time. While 3 finished under 54 hours, many more finished over 88 hours. I would like to go again next year.

If you haven't done a similar distance before, I would suggest getting started this year. SFR has a populaire this Sunday, good way to get your toes wet!

I was more active in the Eastern PA randonneurs group when we lived in PA than here in SF. I have done two rides with SFR since moving here. I had aspirations for PBP a while back then we had kids. This could be an opportunity since we are already planning to go to France.

joosttx
01-17-2018, 06:21 PM
I want to go. I dnf'd my 600k after 500km in 2015, and didn't want to go to PBP badly enough to ride another one. Hoping to ride a 1200k or 1000k or both this year.

but that's just for your bike. Actually, what airlines, and what do they charge for your bike? That was how much it cost to get my bike to PBP in 2011

Gotta use those frequent flier miles and go first class where everything is free. when I did Paris Roubaix I spent $20 or so to fly 1st Class with a bike.

ptourkin
01-18-2018, 01:16 PM

Our season starts early here and we had our 200 last week. There are 300s in early February. It's nice during PBP years if you want to get everything out of the way early.

muz
01-18-2018, 01:33 PM
The season never really ends in the Bay area. In addition to SFR, we have clubs in Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa and Davis. Also Fresno, SLO and Humboldt are within easy driving distance. Three clubs already had their first 200 this year, and there is a brevet (or two) virtually any given weekend. Last year I did over 10,000km of brevets, mostly local.

Billybob62
01-18-2018, 03:11 PM

This is really good advice. It takes some time to figure out what works (and what doesn't) on these rides and just doing 1 series the year of PBP isn't a great plan unless your super strong. The other issue to consider is that doing brevets in 2018 may get you earlier registration for PBP. As Randonneuring has grown, PBP has threatened to limit the number of registrants and RUSA has given early registration to members that do rides the year before PBP.

I did PBP in '11 and will probably ride in '19.

Vive Le France!

ptourkin
01-18-2018, 03:31 PM
This is really good advice. It takes some time to figure out what works (and what doesn't) on these rides and just doing 1 series the year of PBP isn't a great plan unless your super strong. The other issue to consider is that doing brevets in 2018 may get you earlier registration for PBP. As Randonneuring has grown, PBP has threatened to limit the number of registrants and RUSA has given early registration to members that do rides the year before PBP.

I did PBP in '11 and will probably ride in '19.

Vive Le France!

RUSA still says that the series (ACP only) must be completed the year of registration. I do the series (or most of it) every year, but I'm not aware of priority. You register before you complete the series, but to participate, you must complete it in 2019.

muz
01-18-2018, 04:05 PM
RUSA still says that the series (ACP only) must be completed the year of registration. I do the series (or most of it) every year, but I'm not aware of priority. You register before you complete the series, but to participate, you must complete it in 2019.

Registration for PBP opens in stages. First priority goes to those who have finished a 1200K or 1000K in 2018. Then 600, then 400, etc. If a country quota is reached, then it is possible that you can't register at all. Earlier registration also ensures that you get your preferred start time.

Starting riding brevets this year is a good idea so you learn how to deal with adversity. Dealing with rain or upset stomach through a 600K may not be pleasant, but you will be better prepared if it happens in France.

miguel
01-18-2018, 04:17 PM
I would really like to attend pbp 2019
I need to lose some weight and get fast again

ripvanrando
01-18-2018, 05:04 PM
The French make you feel really special on PBP.

Doesn't matter if the rider is slow or fast. I almost think they appreciate those who suffer more. Village after village loaded with people cheering wildly.