PDA

View Full Version : Geek needed

Kines
09-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Rear freewheel/hub rolling resistance: How much does it add to the total rolling resistance?

Specifically, I had a rear wheel rebuilt by the manufacturer. As soon as I picked it up and turned the freehub with my fingers it was markedly different than before (from angry bee to now near-silent). And when I put the bike on the workstand and spin the rear wheel, it comes to a stop much sooner. By contrast, I have an older campy record/Mavic open pro that you can spin in the workstand, go out for lunch, and when you come back it's just coming to a stop.

Don't worry - I'm not stressing over whether this will add 45 seconds to my next lame century time; I'm just curious.

Oh, and also: does the contribution to drag from this situation occur only when coasting? I think it must.

rePhil
09-30-2006, 09:09 AM
See what happens after riding it.Things tend to settle in.

Too Tall
09-30-2006, 11:53 AM
If you have CK hubs there is an bearing adjustment. The cartridge bearing dust seals are prolly the culprit...give it a couple hundred miles.

Louis
09-30-2006, 12:03 PM
Oh, and also: does the contribution to drag from this situation occur only when coasting? I think it must.

You can remove the chain if you really want to isolate the impact of the ratchet mechanism.

ergott
09-30-2006, 01:34 PM
Under load there is much less of a difference.

Don't freewheel.

Kines
09-30-2006, 07:26 PM
You can remove the chain if you really want to isolate the impact of the ratchet mechanism.
now that's the kind of crazy talk I was hoping for.