PDA

View Full Version : My friend wants a new bike...

Kevan
04-21-2004, 12:40 PM
Sure I've told him the wonders of Serotta and Calfee, but this guy is also keeping cost a concern. I have attached below a link to bikesdirect.com where he is considering a Fuji. He did buy a bike last year from this outfit, but the frame fit was way too small for him. I have a host of concerns regarding sizing (i.e.frame, stem, bar, crank) and the optionality of different sizes that I don't think will be addressed to his ultimate riding satisfaction. I have instructed him that he needs a proper fitting before he does anything else, and he has agreed.

Do you folks have any comments or suggestions to offer? I'll send him this thread as a response.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/02fuji/fuji_team_super_lite.htm

My friend's name is Ray.

JohnS
04-21-2004, 12:51 PM
Sandy wants another bike? Oh, I see, you have two friends!
Seriously, does your friend want an al frame? I can't believe that it's as compliant as the ad copy says. Is this where he's buying it from? Why not take them to the local wellstocked LBS and let them check out different brands?

Sandy
04-21-2004, 12:58 PM
1.Get a new friend!!!! :) :)

2. Follow the advice by Kevan.

3. Go to a lot of bicycle shops and test ride a lot of bikes, with different frame materials. Ask a lot of quetions about the bikes- frame materials, component groups, pricing, wheels,..Get opinions from different people. Use Kevan as someone who is both very knowledgeable and who will give you thoughtful insight and meaningful advice.(That last statement was very hard for me to type. My hands and whole body are shaking from the effort.) Kevan will give you the proper direction.

4. Pick a bike that you want and not what someone wants to sell you.

5. Buy the bike from the bike shop that you have the most confidence in and will use for service.

6. Don't under any condition let Kevan hold the money you intend to use for the bike purchase. :) :)

7. Say hello to my Calfee friend Kevan.

Serotta Sandy

Climb01742
04-21-2004, 01:34 PM
ray--think about buying a better bike than you think you want now. here's why: two years ago, my girlfriend decided she wanted to get back into riding. she (rightly) had a price concern. she bought a nice, bargain steel lemond. she rode it for a year. rode so much, she fell in love with riding. but then she realized the shortcomings of her lemond (mostly weight but also less than great components.) so last year we found a ti seven on sale with some sweet bits and pieces. a year later, she loves riding even more and still loves her bike. ray, if you try to save TOO much money now, you may end up spending more, much more, later on a second bike. go to a good shop, ride lots of bikes, even some just above your price range. if you end up loving to ride, and loving the better bike you bought, you'll both save money in the long run and be happier. (hey, anybody want a slightly used lemond? ;) )

Sandy
04-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Excellent advice. This assumes that the bike fits properly.

There are some who say that you should not pay too much at first since you really do not know what you really like nor precisely how both you and your biking will evolve, both with respect to fit and with respect to what type of bike you might want. I would certainly not buy a really cheap bike (unless you simply can't afford anything else) since then you not only get a more inferior frame but also lesser components, wheels, saddle, etc., all of which will have a significant effect on the ride of the bike.

Ray, try at the bottom of the cycling hierarchy and work your way up. Try Kevan's Calfee and work your up to the top, any Serotta :) :)

So Super Satisfied So Serotta Sandy

TmcDet
04-21-2004, 02:14 PM
A Fierte could be had for real close to that price...heck in that price range there are alot of bikes that can be had...like climb said ride alot of bikes and see what you want

flydhest
04-21-2004, 02:40 PM
I'd say one thing to think about with stock, production bikes is the difference in design ideas. I'd suggest to Ray that he ride a Lemond in the appropriate size (paying close attention to top tube as well as seat tube) and a Trek or C'dale. Lemonds tend to have more slack STA and seeing what he's comfy riding in that respect could be elucidating.

If the shops by you are like the shops around here, I'd make sure I always took a cycling friend who knows a lot about bikes, because I don't trust any of the shops around here for the unitiated. Kev, you've talked with me a few times, you know how much or how little I know, and I think I'm barely adequately armed.

bcm119
04-21-2004, 05:59 PM
That Fuji is alot of bike for the price. The Douglas Fusion from CO Cyclist is a similar bargain for a bit less.
If Ray were my friend, I'd recommend any of those bargain aluminum bikes, because they are light and fast. A first road bike should be light and fast, because a less experienced cyclist will notice the speed and agility over all else. It takes years of experience before you start appreciating the more subtle differences that we all know make Serottas and the like such great bikes. I guess my theory is to get as light a bike within his budget as possible. Don't worry about durability- he won't have it too long anyway. I think people get hooked on road riding because riding a bike with little effort and going fast is what its all about, and if he goes with a bargain steel bike it won't feel as lightning quick as the bargain aluminum. Give him some time on a nice modern aluminum/ultegra bike, and soon enough he'll be a dedicated cyclist.
As for the geometry issue, just try to find a nice 73/73 bike, he can always "make" it fit with different stems and seatposts. I'd steer clear of a STA less than 73; you can always get more setback with a new post, but you can't go the other way.

va rider
04-21-2004, 07:51 PM
Also, check out the ti Maculu from Excel Sports.

Another nice bike is the Jamis Eclipse or cheaper version, the Quest. Both come nicely spec'd.

Of course, he should buy what ever fits the best.

shaq-d
04-21-2004, 08:29 PM
having just done this myself, i'd say don't be afraid to go used. if your friend tries a bunch of bikes he will know what his size is. as long as he keeps in mind the top tube and c-c/c-t measurements of whatever bike he likes most of the ones he tries, he can get a used bike of the same geometry. roadbikereview.com and ebay experiences seem to be more often positive than negative, and for me it's been all positive.

for $1800 you can get a really nice bike, at least full ultegra, and i'm sure they're all good. even get a used serotta :). i'd also look at the litespeed titanium bikes, the used ones are definitely in that range (an '03 antares is available for 1600-1999 on ebay right now) and new ones are a bit more. last year's models still might be available for cheap at the LBS.

personally, i'm not a big LBS fan. when i talk to the salemen i often feel like i'm at a car dealership. keep in mind they aren't your friends. tell them your budget and get them to do work for you: measure you, fit you, and get bikes ready for test riding. spend at least 15 mins on each bike. have no regrets and no guilt for not buying a bike from them or for going somewhere else.

sd

gt6267a
04-21-2004, 09:15 PM
your friend has been riding a bike for a year, albeit the wrong size, so he has some experience with bikes. this is important because he must have ideas/knowledge/interest in frame materials / parts / riding style ... with this in mind, i will propose what i did to purchase a bike and to date am very pleased:

a little background: at 15, i convinced my dad to buy me cannondale (crit 3.0) to train during the summer for water polo. i loved this bike dearly and rode throughout high school. fast forward through college and fours years of working without exercise. i was fat and out of shape. i got on old faithful and she didn't fit, hurt my butt, and rattled my spine. i had lots of ideas about fit, materials etc etc. i test rode a few bikes at the local places.

finally, i went to the local serotta dealer and got fitted. it was definetly worth the $75. information in hand, i hit the used market. e-bay, roadbikereview ...

i ended up buying a used serotta from a guy who is my exact dimensions, and it matches my serotta fit numbers as well. in this department i was lucky. no stem changing ... etc. etc.

this is what i recommend for anyone serious about cycling and on a serious budget. let someone else roll it off the lot. i think the best deals are to be had in the 4-8 year old range. the stuff is pretty modern, but still used and not perfect. there will be a few scratches but that brings the price down and as long as they are only cosmetic ...

the details of my purchase if you are interested : i saw a serotta on e-bay and posted a question about the bike on the old serotta forum. a guy e-mailed me directly saying that he planned to put his Serotta up for sale in the next week and would I like to but it.

we talked on the phone, traded a bunch of e-mails, and he sent me lots of images. i agreed to buy the bike and have not thought twice about it. as it turns out the guy i purchased it from is a cleaning / maintenance fanatic and i received the bike in like new condition though it is 10 years old.

now, i am the proud owner of a serotta CRL (lugged steel frame and fork) with 8 speed record.

Sandy
04-22-2004, 12:08 AM
Logical and sensible approach for you. Well done. :) :)

Sandy

Needs Help
04-22-2004, 04:21 AM
Hi,

While I don't know much about this year's incarnation of the Fuji Team, it has always been the best deal in bikedom that I've ever read about. The Fuji Team has gotten rave reviews in the past, and a few years back a friend of mine bought one, and he loved it.

Sandy
04-22-2004, 04:55 AM
Flydhest,

You are certainly much, much more than "barely adequately armed". I would consider you a most knowledgeable and sophisticated buyer for so many reasons.

I agree with comments by va rider and Needs Help on Fuji and Jamis bikes, as giving excellent value.

Sandy

Too Tall
04-22-2004, 06:00 AM
Big 10-4 on the Fuji deal. A local team has a deal with this as well and everyone is happy.

As for the bike advice. Back off and give simple basic advice like...here are two shops that I trust....and insist they pump the tires to the same at every shop...and step awaaaay. If you are a really REALLY good pal you'll send them to a professional bike fitter like Sir Smiley and than they will know what to buy and not get fed a line of garbage by a salesperson-o-the-day.

gt6267a
04-22-2004, 08:46 AM
sandy, thanks. i suspect my next bike purchase will be used as well. i have seen a number of bikes come and go on e-bay that would have been great but i am holding off for a crosser. now, if a moots psychol-x ybb comes up in my size before i'm ready to buy it, ohhh will that hurt.

bags27
04-22-2004, 01:31 PM
I like BCM's approach, and the sentiments of the more recent posters. When I was first buying a bike, the wisdom was to pay somewhat more than you think, so that you grow into the bike. I've found that better is to buy something cheaper, because, one, you're going to mess around with sizing, and when you get that right, two, you're gonna want a whole lot better bike (or bikes). Just MHO

Kevan
04-22-2004, 08:52 PM
my friend Ray contacted Bikesdirect and found out the bike basically comes as is. There's no crank or stem length or bar width options. You gets what you gets. I have to agree tho... that Fuji is a good deal. Anyway, he's taken your sage advice and will be making the lbs tour.

Thanks again...you guys are swell! :D

Sandy
04-23-2004, 03:44 PM
Am I swell too?

So Swell So Serotta Sandy