PDA

View Full Version : A few interbike pics

Jack Brunk
09-30-2006, 12:35 AM
Here are a few pictures from Interbike.

Nine out of ten bikes were either Sram or Campy. Shimano sure lost out this year.

onekgguy
09-30-2006, 12:41 AM
Nine out of ten bikes were either Sram or Campy. Shimano sure lost out this year.

Thanks for the photos. What's the deal with that? Has Shimano really fallen that far behind? Are they possibly planning some larger release and focusing their efforts on a year or two down the road?

Kevin

Jack Brunk
09-30-2006, 12:51 AM
I was told that both Sram and Campy provided makers with substantial discounted OEM pricing. Personally Campy's new group kicked butt on both Sram and Shimano. The new cranks look incredible and speaking to some people who rode it at demo days stated that it rode incredible. Here's a close up of the cranks.

sw3759
09-30-2006, 04:41 AM
"Nine out of ten bikes were either Sram or Campy. Shimano sure lost out this year."

as much as i like Shimano stuff,that is actually refreshing to hear.
and thanks for posting the pics..that Peg is kinda funky..isn't he building some 953 bikes?

Scott

erty65
09-30-2006, 05:28 AM
Thanks for the photos. What's the deal with that? Has Shimano really fallen that far behind? Are they possibly planning some larger release and focusing their efforts on a year or two down the road?

Kevin

Campa and SRAM have new products, Shimano will have a new DA in 2008.

Serpico
09-30-2006, 07:17 AM
channeling basquiat

steve575
09-30-2006, 07:54 AM
Thanks for sharing the pics. I've been checking the forum several times a day looking for Interbike info. Any more pics from the Peg booth?

davids
09-30-2006, 08:07 AM
channeling basquiat
Dario's created a couple of my absolute favorite paint schemes. This one ain't doing it for me.

But I second the request - More Peg pics, please!

Fixed
09-30-2006, 08:38 AM
bro the nago's do it for me
cheers

Climb01742
09-30-2006, 08:44 AM
that orange dogma really caught my eye too. in person, it almost radiated color. really striking. it wasn't a production version, though. brendan from competitive cyclist was taking it back to photograph it, so look for more pics there.

while not many bikes were shimano-equipped, shimano itself had perhaps the biggest display/booth. man, they build a lot of stuff. their next top end road shoe, the 300, looks sweet.

it's a complicated story but dario's new steel bike is stainless but a special "mixture" not used by others...save one. the paint scheme is very very personal for dario. much emotion, much happening, a lot bubbling up. while perhaps not "beautiful" it is truly authentically personal. with so much in the industry being soulless cookie cutter disposable price point blah just stuff, what dario makes is as close to art as you'll find. it's not everyone's cup of tea. it takes courage to put that paint scheme, and so much of himself, on a bike, especially in a biz that rewards me-too-ism so much more richly. i personally admire that paint more than i love it. i admire its honesty and its willingness to put some very personal feeling on a bike. with a certain kind of builder, we want them to put part of themselves into their frames. it what makes a peg, or sachs, or kirk, or kellog, or goodrich what they are. for all it's passionate jumble of paint and emotion, that is what this new SS bike is...a piece of dario. and there ain't nothing else like that. to know the story it tells, is to have a window into the man. something made in china can't offer that.

Fixed
09-30-2006, 09:02 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graffiti#Ancient_graffiti

obtuse
09-30-2006, 09:36 AM
Dario's created a couple of my absolute favorite paint schemes. This one ain't doing it for me.

But I second the request - More Peg pics, please!

david-
that was the only new paint scheme from dario-issimo.

obtuse

swoop
09-30-2006, 09:43 AM
the peg paint job is about dario deconstructing some things (himself included). it's not decorative as much as a kind of existential experience. climb nailed it. i tried to talk to him about stainless steel but i could see the poor guy was tired of trying to speak english about bikes.... so i left him alone.

Sandy
09-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Doesn't anyone produce one color or two color dignified and elegant looking bikes, with few or no decals, anymore? Those paint schemes and colors are not for me.

Simplify and dignify!

Simple Sandy

davids
09-30-2006, 10:06 AM
david-
that was the only new paint scheme from dario-issimo.

obtuse
Damn. I guess I might as well go riding, then...

Climb - Your words, as usual, were appreciated, especially wrt the more formulaic, cookie-cutter product that makes up so much of this industry.

I dig Pegorettis (and Pegoretti!) and, as far as Interbike goes, his stuff is my main interest. Since I'm still getting my Peg jones fulfilled vicariously, I have to admit that I was hoping to see a few killer paint jobs/bike set-ups at the show, like in past years. Especially after seeing that Love #3 (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20842&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) from weightweenies a few weeks back!

Maybe more photos would lead me to a deeper appreciation of the paint?

Marcusaurelius
09-30-2006, 10:06 AM
When ever I have visited the Pinarello website they have always showed a preference for things campagnolo. I suspect this might happen with other italian builders as well.

I don't think the new campagnolo cranks are very attractive at all--in fact ugly is a word that comes to mind--and overpriced. I have never been a big fan of carbon cranks. The classic campagnolo alloy record/chorus crank is still one of the most attractive cranks I've seen.

swoop
09-30-2006, 10:11 AM
dab dooo.
you can get aluminum cranks, and you can paint any bike any color you want.
it's all good.

gdw
09-30-2006, 10:43 AM
That bike must look better after a shot or two of that special Kool-Aid Dario had at his booth.

Elefantino
09-30-2006, 11:21 AM
What Pegoretti is this?

catulle
09-30-2006, 11:46 AM
What Pegoretti is this?

May I have one of them, please...?

Steve Hampsten
09-30-2006, 01:33 PM
What Pegoretti is this?

That looks like a Marcello, and it's from a collage in the Gita booth. With a one-off paint scheme. Douglas will have more Pegoretti and Interbike pictures soon.

The new Dario frame, Responsorium, is one of the most perfect frames I have ever seen. The paint isn't for everyone but as a work of art it stands alone. The frame itself is spectacular: the tube dimensions are (I think) top tube, 31.8mm; down tube, 35mm; seat tube, 31.8mm.

The chainstays are cylindrical (no taper) at around 28mm; the seat stays are 16mm and not tapered.

The overall effect is striking and completely proportionate. The welds are invisible which is a result of a combination of Dario’s skill, the material itself, and the effect of the paint.

It should ride like a nice, light, steel bike welded by Dario Pegoretti. And it looks like a masterpiece. I can only wonder what Dario will do for an encore.

Climb and obtuse, it was great hanging with you guys.

djg
09-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Doesn't anyone produce one color or two color dignified and elegant looking bikes, with few or no decals, anymore? Those paint schemes and colors are not for me.

Simplify and dignify!

Simple Sandy

Sandy mon ... I think that the sponsor of this board wil do a single color or two, as you like, and that they'll leave the number of decals up to you. They're not the only ones.

And the bigger and often louder Colnagos: not all of the stock paint jobs are ... well, complicated and, at least when I bought mine, there weren't really many decals on the bike (just one, on the head-tube, with all the other branding stuff being painted on). Maybe more to the point: if you want one, and don't need it today, they'll do any paint job from their back catalogue for you (if you want the classic white, or the red Saronni job with the panel, you can get it from the source).

Jack Brunk
10-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Some more pics

Serotta PETE
10-01-2006, 07:28 PM
JAck, thanks for the pictures....PETE

amg
10-01-2006, 07:37 PM
yes, thanks for the pics, Jack!

Antonio

Jack Brunk
10-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Thanks pete here's more

amg
10-01-2006, 07:43 PM
How long do you think before Seven goes belly-up? I give'em two years.

Antonio

stevep
10-01-2006, 07:46 PM
i dig the tommasini. cool looking sled.
the seven is the worst looking bike i have ever seen...and with a compact crank yet! god, i hope they never produce that thing.

Jack Brunk
10-01-2006, 07:48 PM
more

amg
10-01-2006, 07:50 PM
the seven is the worst looking bike i have ever seen...and with a compact crank yet! god, i hope they never produce that thing.

yes, Tommasini makes a very nice lugged frame set - you can't go wrong, there. The De Rosa Neo-Primato looks, well, not as nicely put together as I'd like to see. The workmanship doesn't look so hot. Just my two cents.

Antonio

amg
10-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Parlee needs a good graphic designer. Ok, that's enough from me for one night. :D

Antonio

obtuse
10-01-2006, 07:55 PM

i heard specialized has already bought tommasini's entire production and is shipping them to seven to have carbon fiber body panels in the shape of the tarmac sl placed over the frame per some guy named paul bettin's request. can you substantiate these rumours puch?

obtuse

Louis
10-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the pics, Jack.

Some comments from a not very educated eye:

The 7 and the BMC are downright hideous. I've come to expect that from BMC, but not from 7. Let's hope that the "industrial chic" phase does not last much longer.

I think the seat tube on the Pinarello with the white disk wheel is a bit too short. They need to pull that out a bit more...

Louis

dbrk
10-01-2006, 08:13 PM
I'm not home yet---I left Interbike to come to Colorado for a yoga seminar---and I'll be back tomorrow to sort out pictures. I have a ton good shots, I think, and a boatload of work on my desk so it may take a few days.

For me, Interbike presented a few stalwart examples from builders we can count on, like Moots, Parlee, and some nice work from Co-Motion, Sycip, IF (yes, the bikes looked nicely done up, as always). But far and away the most remarkable and, to my eyes, beautiful bike was the new stainless Pegoretti. The bike was, as Steve said, simply perfect in proportions and form: the design so clear and seemingly simple that it concealed the depth of experience underneath the "controversial" paint. I am sure this Columbus stainless that Dario has used will ride beautifully (since there is no reason to believe otherwise) but it is the sum of the design that makes the difference. Personally, I loved the paint because the more I looked at it, the more I came to see heart from which it emerged. Dario himself insisted in conversation that the frame was not art but that he felt deeply in his expression, as he does in choosing all of his designs. Here much of the last year's effort and life experience took shape in choices that we may not all understand but are beautiful for their depth, honesty, creativity, and insight. I also think that he has a notion that these are bikes for the show. Sure, he will do something like this for you if you ask but the paint was truly one-off, impossible to replicate, done by hand, and another will be different. This was not a "scheme", this was an expression inspired by life-changing experiences. It takes a great deal of courage to do such a thing but we are rarely rewarded for efforts that engage the heart because they come from the heart. For a perfect, artistic race bike yet easier on expectations you had to look no further than 8:30am or Love#3
because these bikes brought you more directly to their form. To see the Columbus stainless unadulterated all you had to do was wander to their booth and notice a frame that was unmistakeably made as well by DP. I will have pictures!

A few other things were noteworthy: a new lighter than heaven fork from Reynolds, a carbon fork from AlphaQ for std reach brakes (praise Jah), and some genius in the way of cantilevers from Bruce Gordon.

To spend time with Steve and Dario, Climb and obtuse, all I can say is that if Interbike provides that opportunity I won't disdain it's excess or commercial stupidities. And then there were the Rapha fellas who showed us even more wonders on the way, the really, really sweet stuff. There was soooo much junk and things not worth a second thought but a few made the whole thing worth it. Pegoretti, Rapha who didn't show but showed us, Nitto, MKS, Gordon, and meeting Tom Kellogg: that was really worth it all.

back as soon as I can,

dbrk

Simon Q
10-01-2006, 08:40 PM
After having ridden a DA equipped sponsor bike for nearly a year I have some minor tips for the 2008 revamp:
-in my only performance related tip, re-do the BB to make the cranks spin freely like Campy used to (and apparently still do in new 2007 BB's). That's right folks, they are stiff but do not spin very well, hence the sudden need for ceramic bearings in BB's. The Campy Record sqaure taper BB on my bike spins noticeably better.
-use materials other than aluminium. 07 Record is 248g lighter than DA and Chorus 15 g lighter. Not an issue if you are a pro on a bike at the min 6.8 kg with DA, but if you are not racing or, like me, use a huge frame 248g is worth thinking about. Also, carbon looks better.
-and #1 for me - bury the antennae poking out from the shifters and make the STI's less bulky for more hand positions. I like to change grip a lot on the hoods and I like it with Campy (and I presume SRAM) that you are not restricted by the bulky top or the cable sticking out. Everyone accepts the the cables becuase they are used to it but with cable and gear shifting technology there simply is no need. Is there SRAM? They really can let go of a design put in place for the first STI's dating back nearly 20 years.

SRAM and Campy have thrown it. The DA stuff does the job very well of course and I have had no major complaints at all but I have just given the sponsored bike back and now that I am building my own new bike it will be 07 Record. Many Shimano heads may not want to go to Campy but SRAM will be hoping that Shimano stick to their old guns as they could be the major beneficiary if they don't get it right.

coylifut
10-01-2006, 09:55 PM
I'm not home yet---I left Interbike to come to Colorado for a yoga seminar---and I'll be back tomorrow to sort out pictures. I have a ton good shots, I think, and a boatload of work on my desk so it may take a few days.

For me, Interbike presented a few stalwart examples from builders we can count on, like Moots, Parlee, and some nice work from Co-Motion, Sycip, IF (yes, the bikes looked nicely done up, as always). But far and away the most remarkable and, to my eyes, beautiful bike was the new stainless Pegoretti. The bike was, as Steve said, simply perfect in proportions and form: the design so clear and seemingly simple that it concealed the depth of experience underneath the "controversial" paint. I am sure this Columbus stainless that Dario has used will ride beautifully (since there is no reason to believe otherwise) but it is the sum of the design that makes the difference. Personally, I loved the paint because the more I looked at it, the more I came to see heart from which it emerged. Dario himself insisted in conversation that the frame was not art but that he felt deeply in his expression, as he does in choosing all of his designs. Here much of the last year's effort and life experience took shape in choices that we may not all understand but are beautiful for their depth, honesty, creativity, and insight. I also think that he has a notion that these are bikes for the show. Sure, he will do something like this for you if you ask but the paint was truly one-off, impossible to replicate, done by hand, and another will be different. This was not a "scheme", this was an expression inspired by life-changing experiences. It takes a great deal of courage to do such a thing but we are rarely rewarded for efforts that engage the heart because they come from the heart. For a perfect, artistic race bike yet easier on expectations you had to look no further than 8:30am or Love#3
because these bikes brought you more directly to their form. To see the Columbus stainless unadulterated all you had to do was wander to their booth and notice a frame that was unmistakeably made as well by DP. I will have pictures!

A few other things were noteworthy: a new lighter than heaven fork from Reynolds, a carbon fork from AlphaQ for std reach brakes (praise Jah), and some genius in the way of cantilevers from Bruce Gordon.

To spend time with Steve and Dario, Climb and obtuse, all I can say is that if Interbike provides that opportunity I won't disdain it's excess or commercial stupidities. And then there were the Rapha fellas who showed us even more wonders on the way, the really, really sweet stuff. There was soooo much junk and things not worth a second thought but a few made the whole thing worth it. Pegoretti, Rapha who didn't show but showed us, Nitto, MKS, Gordon, and meeting Tom Kellogg: that was really worth it all.

back as soon as I can,

dbrk

I wasn't there, but I'm feeling-ya. Nice summary. We'll all be looking forward to more.

stevep
10-02-2006, 06:54 AM
i heard specialized has already bought tommasini's entire production and is shipping them to seven to have carbon fiber body panels in the shape of the tarmac sl placed over the frame per some guy named paul bettin's request. can you substantiate these rumours puch?

obtuse

i believe that this makes sense. that bike would kick butt... or even carbon tape wrapped frame, maybe?
always did have a weakness for tommasini.

Keith A
10-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks to everyone for the 1st hand reports and pictures.

manet
10-02-2006, 01:14 PM
the seven is the worst looking bike i have ever seen...

stinko! so much it hurts

swoop
10-02-2006, 01:24 PM
:p
http://www.sevencycles.com

Dekonick
10-02-2006, 01:42 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graffiti#Ancient_graffiti

cool link - thanks.

jemoryl
10-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Looks like a competition to see who can put the longest seatpost on a roadbike. Thanks for the photos....

manet
10-02-2006, 03:12 PM
:p
http://www.sevencycles.com

c now at this distance (standard or metric)
that looks like RISDs i.d. dept's annual
chainsaw design assignment gone astray.

e-RICHIE
10-02-2006, 03:14 PM
c now at this distance (standard or metric)
that looks like the annual RISD i.d. dept's
chainsaw design assignment gone ashtray.

it's a smokin' bro deal atmo.

Darrell
10-02-2006, 03:14 PM
Some more pics

Nice looking handle bar stem on the Classic steel Pegoretti ;)

manet
10-02-2006, 03:19 PM
eye kant show what i really want ...

atmo
10-02-2006, 03:29 PM
eye kant show what i really want ...
i can easily finger it out iirc.

Keith A
10-02-2006, 04:07 PM
Looks like a competition to see who can put the longest seatpost on a roadbike. Thanks for the photos....How about this one...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/interbike06/ib06par2.jpg

fstrthnu
10-02-2006, 04:10 PM
posting in white rules imho.

Fstrthnu

Jason E
10-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Weird, It appears to have cables going to the back, but no front Derailleur.

swoop
10-02-2006, 04:34 PM
as i recall it was a single chainring tt bike.... but it is all a blur.

davids
10-02-2006, 04:37 PM
as i recall it was a single chainring tt bike.... but it is all a blur.
http://content.mtbr.com/images/Tradeshow/13/264/prodimg3.jpg

Lincoln
10-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Weird, It appears to have cables going to the back, but no front Derailleur.
probably one for the rear der. and one for the rear brake.

Jason E
10-02-2006, 05:07 PM
probably one for the rear der. and one for the rear brake.

Yeah, but it looks like a cable to the front Brake and three to the back...

It's not that important anyway.

As for the Santa Cruz, That's my bike! Wow, it is fantastic. Then, after we got mine and another guys, we got a Large in White with the 07 XTR Kit...... DROOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gotta get some time and write a review.

Serpico
10-02-2006, 05:13 PM
argos, whatta you think of that trek bike with the 26 in back and a 29er in front?

Jason E
10-02-2006, 05:18 PM
argos, whatta you think of that trek bike with the 26 in back and a 29er in front?

I think it's weird, and I'm so short it would look even more gay then normal...

Probably ride neat though.