PDA

View Full Version : filing a complaint to USPS - a rant...

AngryScientist
01-16-2018, 07:06 PM
fair warning: this is just me ranting...

i'm totally fed up with the USPS.

wife and i are both very busy with work and kids and both hate "shopping". avoid the malls at all costs, the chaos of target. etc - so we order most things online and have them delivered.

usps has been awful lately. i work from home a decent amount, and notice i rarely have the same carrier deliver mail two days in a row. seems there is no "regular" guy who might take ownership of having a good route.

today, i was expecting three packages, all marked as "out for delivery today - on time" via tracking number, though they all left the local post office at a differnt time, oddly. these are all regular mail, no sig required, mind you/

two packages got delivered, left on the porch.

the carrier's new trick - if they dont get time to deliver all packages is to update the tracking to "notice left - no secure location available".

as mentioned there were two other packages from the USPS left on the porch, and the one that was not delivered was small enough to fit in the mailbox.

obviously the carrier marks it as such to avoid the blame of not delivering and meet whatever quota/metric thy are tasked with.

if this happened once in a while, i would not be so aggravated, but it is a monthly occurrence lately.

obviously no notice was actually left, and i have a security camera on the porch and can review the recording to verify no attempt was made to deliver the third package.

this strikes me as fraudulent activity IMO.

think i'll get anywhere with a complaint? i'm tired of the extremely poor service.

weisan
01-16-2018, 07:21 PM
give it a day or two...

AngryScientist
01-16-2018, 07:27 PM
give it a day or two...

oh, i'm certain it'll be here tomorrow. happens every time.

it just annoys me that instead of admitting they are not going to make the delivery schedule, they fudge the tracking info. that;s just not right IMO.

GOTHBROOKS
01-16-2018, 07:40 PM
since you have the tracking info, you can mark each package to be held at the post office. so instead of waiting for it to not get delivered, you can just go pick it up at your convenience. if you dont do a ton of mailorder type of stufff, its the next best thing to a po box. and free.

merckxman
01-16-2018, 07:40 PM
See your postmaster.

AngryScientist
01-16-2018, 07:44 PM
See your postmaster.

that sounds like a good idea.

i totally get it, and understand if they cant meet the delivery date specified, it's just the "cover up" of marking it as unable to deliver that bugs me - it's an outright lie, and happens too often.

Bruce K
01-16-2018, 07:46 PM
I can always tell when my regular USPS or UPS drivers are on vacation.

UPS leaves most packages at bottom of front stairs (350’ driveway). There are a couple of packages he knows are special and “hides” them near the basement door.

USPS always brings whatever doesn't fit in the box to the front door.

Sorry for your misery.

BK

Spaghetti Legs
01-16-2018, 07:48 PM
I have noticed USPS out delivering packages at odd times, yesterday (holiday) for example. I’ll bet they’re seeing increased volume (partnered with Amazon to complete some UPS deliveries for one) and previous money saving staff cuts have come back to bite.

It’s so unusual now to take longer than 4-5 days to get a package I don’t sweat extra day or two. A complaint might get the job done or it might bring down heat on an already drastically overloaded delivery person. One tactic might be to ask the mail carrier when he/she comes around. You probably won’t get a good answer but the message should be understood.

jumphigher
01-16-2018, 07:59 PM
We had the same scenario, the mail person wouldnt leave a package saying nobody was home when they attempted to leave it. One of us was home the entire day though, so we know nobody knocked. This happened a lot at our former address, we've since moved, though.

tuxbailey
01-16-2018, 08:33 PM
I think they are doing this to avoid penalties from Amazon and other e-retailers. Usually Amazon ship via UPS and then the last leg is outsourced to your local PO. They tried to mark as delivered even if they are late to avoid penalties.

R3awak3n
01-16-2018, 08:40 PM
I also find it super annoying when they do that, if you can't deliver just dont say anything. Don't put a bs excuse.

I have had it say, delivered and no package till next day.

sales guy
01-16-2018, 08:40 PM
My house is literally 1700 feet from our cities Post Office. Same street! And I had someone leave a note saying they tried to deliver it and it was the THIRD TIME they tried. I never got notice 1 or 2. I immediately went to the PO and asked to speak with the manager of the branch. Mind you, the notice said 12:29pm. I went in there at 1:14pm. I was home the entire time!!! The time the computer said and the scan said were totally different AND in a different part of town!

When they scan things, it leaves a GPS trace. I didn't know that but this branch manager told me all these tricks they have now. So he told me that it was clear the carrier was lying. Especially since there was no other scans for the package. Not #1 or #2. Just this so called third one.

He took and held the package when it came back in and that carrier no longer works in our town. Or so I was told.

My house being so close doesn't have a dedicated carrier. So we get mail at random times and with a bunch of carriers. They pick the person with the lightest load for the day and gives them our street. I bet anything that's why it happened. That carrier was pissed they had to take our street too.

USPS and every other shipper just doesn't care. I think they are fed up with being treated badly BUT they are slammed by us, the consumer cause they give us poor service! It's a circle of BS.

oliver1850
01-16-2018, 11:19 PM
I have the same problem, most often with wheel or frame boxes. The delivery person just doesn't want to bother with them, so will leave a notice in my box that the package can be picked up at the PO 4 miles away within a 3 hour time frame that's not convenient for me. I sign the form and wait another two (at minimum) days for delivery. Simply laziness on the part of the delivery person as far as I can tell, and USPS is the enabler.

jtbadge
01-16-2018, 11:21 PM
since you have the tracking info, you can mark each package to be held at the post office. so instead of waiting for it to not get delivered, you can just go pick it up at your convenience. if you dont do a ton of mailorder type of stufff, its the next best thing to a po box. and free.

+1. This goes for every major carrier.

These threads come up over and over again, this is always the best solution.

oliver1850
01-17-2018, 01:08 AM
The best solution is to have the package delivered. We have paid for the service and expect it.

parris
01-17-2018, 06:35 AM
I've had similar problems over the years. The biggest one was the carrier left a box between my storm and regular doors during a windy day. The wind caught the outer door with enough force to break not only the storm door but also the door frame. It was a 6 month process but usps did pay for the replacements.

The issue with my neighborhood is that due to how the routes are assigned we're in the middle of Two routes and always get someone different. This is according to our local post master.

AngryScientist
01-17-2018, 06:44 AM
+1. This goes for every major carrier.

These threads come up over and over again, this is always the best solution.

NOT a convenient solution for me at all, for USPS:

1) these are low dollar items, usually household goods that we order and have coming a few times a week. the whole point of ordering online is convenience. i'm not going to the post office a few times a week, that would be silly.

2) my local post office is under staffed and crowded. any time you go there for anything, minimum 15-20 minute wait in line. i'd have to be crazy to try that on a regular basis. the thought of it makes my blood pressure go up.

3) the post office is open during the hours my wife and i are at work. they are simply not open when we have "free time".

anyway, it's not a huge deal, as the packages will get delivered, i just think it's dishonest and a bad business practice to incorrectly mark tracked packages as "delivery attempted" if that is not the case. nothing will get better if no one is aware of the problem, so i am indeed going to file a complaint with the post master. i dont really expect anything to come of it, but i feel like it's the right thing to do.

R3awak3n
01-17-2018, 06:46 AM
the people that say have it held at the post office never been to a NYC post office. The PO here is the last place you want to go. Like Nick said, always crowded, always under staffed. You can look at the reviews of any PO in the city, most have 1 star for a reason. I luckily don't have to deal with this anymore but the worst type of morning was the one I had to wake u and go to the PO before work (since when I left work it was already closed), it was a nightmare.

shovelhd
01-17-2018, 07:06 AM
When I was out of work, fed up with IT age/wage discrimination, and ready to make a career change, I took the postal exam and applied for jobs. I had one of the highest scores in my state so I got quite a few interview requests. 95% of them were for temporary positions. They don't hire for full-time much anymore. It's all on-call, off-hours, and traveling positions. They don't care about consistency of service, they just want warm bodies.

My local PO never delivers all of the mail on bad weather days like today. We'll get a few light items or nothing. Tomorrow's mailbox will be loaded with yesterday's mail. And so it goes.

tigoat
01-17-2018, 07:11 AM
Recently, I had a package that shows it was delivered but the package actually arrived about 5 days late. I think their tracking system sometimes screw up and could be unreliable. I think the mailman usually would get the blame for a delivery problem while the system might be the problem.

superbowlpats
01-17-2018, 07:15 AM
If you really are concerned about tracking don't use USPS. There's a reason they are typically the cheapest shipping option. UPS and FEDEX have a lot more tracking infrastructure in place than USPS. Considering what people get charged for shipping (typically "free"), the volume of packages in this day and age, I'm just happy when it arrives.

peanutgallery
01-17-2018, 07:34 AM
So... you guys bypass the local retail chain to save a buck and the the postmaster gets you with a few extra days, some runaround and added aggravation. I love it, long live local retail:)

chiasticon
01-17-2018, 08:05 AM
the people that say have it held at the post office never been to a NYC post office. The PO here is the last place you want to go.I dunno... I've never had a good post office experience. big city, small town, suburbs... doesn't matter. everyone working there seems miserable, in absolutely no hurry, and like they spend the majority of their time praying for death.

If you really are concerned about tracking don't use USPS. There's a reason they are typically the cheapest shipping option. UPS and FEDEX have a lot more tracking infrastructure in place than USPS. Considering what people get charged for shipping (typically "free"), the volume of packages in this day and age, I'm just happy when it arrives.basically this for me. I generally am not expecting anything of great value or urgency via USPS, and I've usually paid little to nothing for shipping. I get the annoyances, and we have some too of course, but I don't get super fired up about them. usually we just laugh about how ridiculous they are.

Tickdoc
01-17-2018, 08:11 AM
I dunno... I've never had a good post office experience. big city, small town, suburbs... doesn't matter. everyone working there seems miserable, in absolutely no hurry, and like they spend the majority of their time praying for death.

That's funny. I list the DMV and the court house as the only places worse to visit. Uncomfortable waiting with an aire of akwardness.

most questions are answered with a curt rudeness that is just so degrading.

Aholes.

Ti Designs
01-17-2018, 08:23 AM
With me, USPS sends me an update via e-mail that my package has been delivered. Last time they sent the update was around 1:30pm and the package was delivered just 4 hours later. What bothers me about that is the use of technology to be wrong, but to be able to claim that they're accurate. It's like the networks advertising their weather forecasters as super accurate when they're anything but. The reason people aren't better at what they do is that they're spending too much time convincing everyone else that there's no room for improvement...

BumbleBeeDave
01-17-2018, 10:43 AM
Take a chill pill and try to consider it from the other side. I was at a job fair the other day and stopped by the USPS booth. Almost all their listed positions were part time and at odd hours, and the pay is not nearly as great as you might think. The only verified full time slot they had was a 4am-1pm shift.

That guy delivering your packages is likely temp, just that "warm body" somebody else mentioned. We have no idea if he got training or how much. He may also have been given a route with a distance to walk and a volume of mail that makes it practically impossible to complete the route in his allotted work time unless conditions are ideal, i.e., perfect weather, low mail volume, etc. This guy/gal may also be scared stiff of losing their job.

What's your package? Life or death medicine? Deadline financial docs? . . . Oh, it's bike parts? Does an extra day or two to deliver really matter that much? Relax.

BBD

AngryScientist
01-17-2018, 10:50 AM
Relax.

believe me, i'm relaxed. this is not a major issue for me. sending an email complaint is hardly taxing my psyche.

what you are basically saying is that if someone gets a job to do that is impossible for them to complete - it's OK to lie about getting it done.

IMO, it is not OK.

eBAUMANN
01-17-2018, 11:08 AM
Can we hit the pause button for a second here to recognize that we (as bike nerds constantly buying/selling/trading parts) are a bit more hyper-aware of our shipments than the majority of the population?

When most people order something, they arent following along via a package tracker app like most of us...they just wait and it shows up when it shows up. Only after an excessively long period of no-show will they remember "hey, where the hell is my _____?!" and look into it. THIS is the ideal/majority USPS customer.

----

The craziest experience I had with USPS was with a package I sent that was labelled with the wrong zip code and without a return address...the perfect storm of undeliverable mail. Now, in this case I would kinda expect them to chuck it in the back of some mail warehouse never to be seen again. However, they ended up shipping it back across the country to a lost-mail facility in Atlanta, where it was eventually located, re-directed and finally delivered. Granted this all took about a month to sort out but it actually got sorted!

----

Also, I do agree about with the "relax" sentiment...at the end of the day, its just an extra day delay on delivery. They mark is "notice left" because its the easiest thing (within the constraints of their system) for them to do, there is no malicious/dishonest intent. Its just not worth stressing over, unless the thing never shows up, then maybe file a complaint and such. But so long as they are eventually getting to you, just take a deep breath and let it go, life's too short.

bicycletricycle
01-17-2018, 11:09 AM
That kind of thing is annoying, it would certainly be interesting to try and figure out why it is happening, it seems to me that a lot of things could cause this sort of problem (unorganized driver, bad sorting at the office, etc.)

However

USPS does not guarantee a time frame delivery for priority and first class mail, from the post office-

"Priority Mail: Priority Mail is the United States Postal Service's standard air service. Packages usually arrive to their domestic destination within 1-3 business days. Transit times vary depending on how far the package has to be delivered from its origin."

The operative word here being "usually"

If they forget to drop it off and bring it back tomorrow they are still giving you the service you paid for, the reason a lot of packages are shipped USPS is that it is cheaper, perhaps the very reason it is cheaper is this relaxation in time pressure. If you just can't wait one extra day for that package perhaps you should pay for a better delivery service?

Is it reasonable to expect the cheapest service to also be the most organized and punctual?

Jaybee
01-17-2018, 11:09 AM
It's not OK to lie about it, but I think BumbleBee has an important point.

Say the scenario he lays out is correct: A temp worker with little training being asked to do a job that is only possible to complete in the ideal conditions that exist 1 out of every 20 or so working days. His failure to complete the job is really a management/planning issue, not a worker productivity issue. What are his recourses? He could complain to his supervisor that the expectations are out of whack with reality, but they will probably just fire him and move on to someone else. He could leave the package undelivered and be honest about not attempting it, but then that's a black mark on his performance and... he gets fired. Or he could do what he did- game the system in a way he is strongly incentivized to do to keep his job.

I'm not sure there is a good answer here, just pointing out that your mail person is a human and perhaps deserves some empathy.

GOTHBROOKS
01-17-2018, 11:13 AM
ever pay for something to ship dhl/ups/fedex and have it end up being handed off to the local post office for usps delivery? i have.

eBAUMANN
01-17-2018, 11:14 AM
ever pay for something to ship dhl/ups/fedex and have it end up being handed off to the local post office for usps delivery? i have.

all the time, they are all in kahoots.

GOTHBROOKS
01-17-2018, 11:15 AM
i feel like thats more deceptive to the consumer than marking something as delivered a few hours before its actually delivered.

bicycletricycle
01-17-2018, 11:20 AM
Also, perhaps complain to your congressman, the postal service has been unfairly fiscally handicapped. There $15 billion debt is a direct result of the mandate that it must pay about $5.6 billion a year for 10 years to prefund the retiree healthcare plan. This requirement has deprived the Postal Service of the opportunity to invest in capital projects and research and development.

Prefunding their retirement liabilities may sound nice but if they go under no one is getting paid anyways. The pressure they are under is making it hard for them to compete with other companies that do not have the same fiscal pressures.

Your mix of part time new people delivering the mail is a direct result of them not hiring full time employees because it would increase their yearly retirement pre funding payments.

A law made to benefit full time employees and their benefits preventing new employees from ever making it to full time with benefits.

wildboar
01-17-2018, 11:49 AM
two packages got delivered, left on the porch.

the carrier's new trick - if they dont get time to deliver all packages is to update the tracking to "notice left - no secure location available".

as mentioned there were two other packages from the USPS left on the porch, and the one that was not delivered was small enough to fit in the mailbox.

obviously the carrier marks it as such to avoid the blame of not delivering and meet whatever quota/metric thy are tasked with.

These are the subcontractors that do this. Our neighborhood had a bunch of packages that were supposed to be delivered on the Friday before Christmas and they were all marked like that so they could still claim they met their obligation on their contracted work. People on the neighborhood Facebook went nuts and reported them to the Postmaster at the local office. There was a light snow and there were no footprints or security camera videos of them even attempting to deliver.

From what I could gather the local Postmaster actually cares. Our regular "real" mail carrier has made it clear she is not a big fan of the subs that deliver a couple times a week.

Tony T
01-17-2018, 11:50 AM
…sending an email complaint …

Take the time and visit your local post office and speak to the Postmaster there to register your complaint.

I'm lucky as I've had the same postal worker for over 3 years. The only time I've had any issues is when she's on vacation.

chiasticon
01-17-2018, 12:10 PM
i feel like thats more deceptive to the consumer than marking something as delivered a few hours before its actually delivered.I think what happens is for FedEx Smartpost and UPS Surepost (what you're referring to), if it's a small package and the mail is coming to your place anyway, they give it to USPS to put in with your mail. saves FedEx/UPS time and money, not having to deliver tiny packages/envelopes all over town. and it doesn't increase the burden on the USPS delivery carrier too much (again, it's small/light packages they can put into their bag). but I don't think it's deceptive. the tracking will usually tell you it was handed off to USPS and their delivery estimate factors that in.

Birddog
01-17-2018, 12:29 PM
On a side not. a couple of weeks before Christmas, my wife was in the local Post Office waiting in line. One of the clerks behind the counter told another that he was going to take a 15 min. break, My wife and others overheard him and my wife in a loud voice said "there must be at least 25 people waiting here in line and some of us have been here for 40 mins and you're going to take a break?". Sheepishly the guy returned to his post and my wife received nods of approval from the waiting patrons. If they have to pee, they can easily enough slip behind the curtain to go, but that wasn't the case.

Jeff N.
01-17-2018, 01:07 PM
My PO is famous for being under-staffed, even on the busiest days...6 windows, only two of which are open, with a line out the door. Some people are at a window for 5-10 minutes for a transaction...they take their sweet time. They'll usually wait until I'm up next before closing a window for a break. :D

CNY rider
01-17-2018, 06:50 PM
Nick come live upstate.
You won't have cell service, modern internet, good Asian food or a job but you will have great postal service.
We've had the same postman for at least 10 years. It's a rural route so he functions as our post office. Sells us postage. Takes packages without postage, weighs/measures them and sends them off, then leaves us a receipt with a payment envelope the next day.
He brings sensitive packages inside the back door of our garage, and always pets our dog. When we order baby chicks he is all over the delivery and makes sure we know when they are coming. We BS about deer hunting and vacations together. We give him a nice tip at the holidays.
It's all good up here.

zambenini
01-18-2018, 07:43 AM
Just got an enormous USPS Priority box (folding tires what a drain to ship amiright?) on time - the seller sent a notice saying the item was out for delivery the day after I got them. Either USPS not all bad or seller anticipating late deliveries so sending out "your item is coming, get excited, leave feedback for us" notices late, too... ymmv.

peanutgallery
01-18-2018, 08:53 AM
The problem is Jeff Bezos, Amazon contracted the USPS to deliver all their made in China stuff to suburbia via prime

I see a blown out neighborhood mail truck hauling a$$ at all hours and 7 days a week. Last night I looked at my watch and it was 8.45pm when that tired vehicle went by the house. That must be a terrible life, those guys are shot

I don't think the future gets much better as isn't Amazon developing their own delivery service? The churn will continue as those working conditions will be just as bad

tuscanyswe
01-18-2018, 08:57 AM
Also, perhaps complain to your congressman, the postal service has been unfairly fiscally handicapped. There $15 billion debt is a direct result of the mandate that it must pay about $5.6 billion a year for 10 years to prefund the retiree healthcare plan. This requirement has deprived the Postal Service of the opportunity to invest in capital projects and research and development.

Prefunding their retirement liabilities may sound nice but if they go under no one is getting paid anyways. The pressure they are under is making it hard for them to compete with other companies that do not have the same fiscal pressures.

Your mix of part time new people delivering the mail is a direct result of them not hiring full time employees because it would increase their yearly retirement pre funding payments.

A law made to benefit full time employees and their benefits preventing new employees from ever making it to full time with benefits.

Are there no ratios to uphold when hiring new workers? Like x amount of part time for every full time employee etc? If not that seem like a pretty dumb idea unless they were trying to give them a loophole that is.

AngryScientist
01-18-2018, 08:59 AM
well, as expected, package arrived the next day.

i watched it get delivered via video footage. different mailman than i've ever seen.

jemoryl
01-18-2018, 09:09 AM
The problem is Jeff Bezos, Amazon contracted the USPS to deliver all their made in China stuff to suburbia via prime

I see a blown out neighborhood mail truck hauling a$$ at all hours and 7 days a week. Last night I looked at my watch and it was 8.45pm when that tired vehicle went by the house. That must be a terrible life, those guys are shot

I don't think the future gets much better as isn't Amazon developing their own delivery service? The churn will continue as those working conditions will be just as bad

When cycling around suburban NE NJ one sees harried looking workers driving white vans, clearly leases or rentals, delivering packages for Amazon. Some have a hastily applied magnetic Amazon sign on the side.

likebikes
01-18-2018, 09:39 AM
so did you ever end up filing a complaint?

AngryScientist
01-18-2018, 09:40 AM
so did you ever end up filing a complaint?

yes i did.

jonnyBgood
01-18-2018, 09:48 AM
I sold a Freehub Body to someone on the Forum and the package was delivered with a hole in it... of course no Freehub Body in it.

I filed with Claims and went through the proper procedures and they asked me to send them proof of purchase.
I went to a local shop and they printed me an estimate and USPS denied it because the date was after the ship date.
I called and talked with someone after waiting an hour on the phone and said that I actually sold it for more than the $50 given insurance that I was just looking to get the $50 and she still denied it.
Completely worthless even if you do insure it you are at their mercy as to if that want to actually send you a refund. :mad:

tuscanyswe
01-18-2018, 09:57 AM
I sold a Freehub Body to someone on the Forum and the package was delivered with a hole in it... of course no Freehub Body in it.

I filed with Claims and went through the proper procedures and they asked me to send them proof of purchase.
I went to a local shop and they printed me an estimate and USPS denied it because the date was after the ship date.
I called and talked with someone after waiting an hour on the phone and said that I actually sold it for more than the $50 given insurance that I was just looking to get the $50 and she still denied it.
Completely worthless even if you do insure it you are at their mercy as to if that want to actually send you a refund. :mad:

Tbf they wanted a receipt to prove you had the item. You offered them an evaluation of the same? Or am i missing something.

Paypal slip usually works in these situations ime.

SoCalSteve
01-18-2018, 10:00 AM

So, if USPS delivers the made in China items, who delivers the made in America items? And, what if the item comes from Europe, who then delivers it?

Inquiring minds wanna know.

Birddog
01-18-2018, 10:39 AM

The guy driving at 8:45 was likely a PTer and had not been out there for that long. USPS delivering the last leg for other carriers is an attempt by them to better utilize their equipment and know how, though I'm not sure how well that is working. The other day one of the auxiliary drivers came to the door, didn't ring the bell and dropped off a small pkg. He was there a good 3 hours before our regular deliveryman normally comes and didn't leave it in the mailbox, which would have been much simpler.

peanutgallery
01-18-2018, 10:40 AM
Personally, I am selective about where I spend my cash and for a myriad of reasons it isn't Amazon or cut rate retailers. As a specialty retailer myself, I appreciate good service delivered by knowlegable people that are well compensated for their passion and product knowledge about a specific niche of products.

The list of places I refuse to spend money is long and dynamic, but I have my reasons

So, if USPS delivers the made in China items, who delivers the made in America items? And, what if the item comes from Europe, who then delivers it?

Inquiring minds wanna know.

Bob Ross
01-18-2018, 11:24 AM
give it a month or two...

Fixed it for you :banana:

I'm definitely pissed off at the USPS this season: Sent my niece and nephew their holiday gifts via Priority Mail on 12/23. Two 100% identical envelopes going to the same address, sent from the same location at exactly the same time; they went into the local post office's outgoing Priority Mail slot side-by-side.

One of them arrived on 12/26. The other still hasn't arrived, and the USPS hasn't been able to locate it since it fell off their radar on 12/25.

BumbleBeeDave
01-18-2018, 12:41 PM
It's definitely not OK to lie about it. I'm not excusing what may have been done, just trying to understand why the carrier may have done it. I have been in jobs myself where it was simply impossible to do what was asked with the tools/time/money available. But that doesn't stop management from telling you to do it anyway or pay the price.

Despite what you may hear about unemployment being very low right now, keep in mind there are a hell of a lot of people out there who ARE working who are just barely holding on in low paying jobs. Here's some info . . .

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2015/10/goodbye-middle-class-51-percent-of-all-american-workers-make-less-than-30000-dollars-a-year.html

-38 percent of all American workers made less than $20,000 last year.

-51 percent of all American workers made less than $30,000 last year.

-62 percent of all American workers made less than $40,000 last year.

-71 percent of all American workers made less than $50,000 last year.

That guy who fudged on your delivery info is very likely one of those who are just scraping by.

BBD

It's not OK to lie about it, but I think BumbleBee has an important point.

Say the scenario he lays out is correct: A temp worker with little training being asked to do a job that is only possible to complete in the ideal conditions that exist 1 out of every 20 or so working days. His failure to complete the job is really a management/planning issue, not a worker productivity issue. What are his recourses? He could complain to his supervisor that the expectations are out of whack with reality, but they will probably just fire him and move on to someone else. He could leave the package undelivered and be honest about not attempting it, but then that's a black mark on his performance and... he gets fired. Or he could do what he did- game the system in a way he is strongly incentivized to do to keep his job.

I'm not sure there is a good answer here, just pointing out that your mail person is a human and perhaps deserves some empathy.

choke
01-18-2018, 02:42 PM
I'll go against the grain here....I've had great luck with USPS. I've lived most of my life in small towns and the PO employees have always been polite and very helpful.

And for amazing service, how about this recent experience. On the Friday before Christmas I sent a package to my Mom. It wasn't a present and the estimated delivery date was on Tue the 26th. On Christmas day I decided to check the tracking to see where it was and it had been delivered that morning....it took essentially two days to travel 2000 miles and was delivered on a holiday!

Luwabra
01-18-2018, 04:59 PM
Have a frame w a expected delivery date of today. The last actual Tracking in or out update was the 12th. *****. This thread has me concerned now

jonnyBgood
01-18-2018, 09:10 PM
Tbf they wanted a receipt to prove you had the item. You offered them an evaluation of the same? Or am i missing something.

Paypal slip usually works in these situations ime.

Oh we went through the whole thing. When Where How... Bad experience in general

Birddog
01-22-2018, 06:22 PM
Ordered an item from Amazon on Friday, message from Amazon said it would be delivered on Sunday (yesterday) I said to myself, oh OK, it's one of those hand-off deals the USPS is in on. Yesterday received message that pkg would be delivered. Then about 4PM, I received a message that the pkg was undeliverable because the business was closed. The header is to my business but it is a residential address. The message said they tried to deliver at 2:30 PM. Today I looked at the pkg and it clearly says on the label "Carrier: Leave if no response" It was a total fabrication, I was sitting at my kitchen table with a full view of the walk to my door. There was no attempt to deliver the package and nobody rang the bell. I didn't need the item yesterday or even today. What hacks me off is that the bastards blatantly lie. What a boat load of $hit.

Ralph
01-22-2018, 07:28 PM
My regular carrier is a nice enough lady, seems to do a good job, etc.....but she gets very pissed when on her week end days off they loan out her regular delivery vehicle to week end contract employees......who leave their food wrappers and empty drink cups in the vehicle she normally uses. She says they are not regular USPS people. I assume the weekend people are delivering packages. What a mess!

unterhausen
01-22-2018, 07:47 PM
the woman that delivers amazon packages on weekends and holidays to our house is much nicer than the regular PO employees. But the service has been really good. I used to be annoyed when the final delivery was supposed to be done by UPS, but then it would say delivered and only later it would come out the UPS driver delivered it to the post office. And come to my house a day late.

amazon recently began stretching out the 2 days to mean that they have two days to ship. Which they then use up doing something else, so no way it's getting to me before 4 days.