View Full Version : The Vanilla Workshop / SpeedVagen

KarlC
01-16-2018, 02:22 PM
Some really nice bikes here .....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42587323@N08/albums/with/72157644061345925

https://www.flickr.com/groups/speedvagen/pool/

d_douglas
01-16-2018, 03:34 PM
I have a red roadvagen. I wish that I had ponied up for that painted Pro stealth bar stem combo. Sacha offered it and I was tapped out for cash :(

They are very nice bikes, no doubt!

PoppaWheelie
01-16-2018, 07:25 PM
Is Sacha still building under the Vanilla brand or is the crew up there 100% devoted to Speedvagen these days? I just did a search for the Vanilla website and Google redirects to SV.

No skin in the game, just curious. It's been a while since I looked.

bitpuddle
01-17-2018, 12:02 AM
Is Sacha still building under the Vanilla brand or is the crew up there 100% devoted to Speedvagen these days? I just did a search for the Vanilla website and Google redirects to SV.

AFAIK Vanilla is full-custom and entirely done by Sacha. Very low volume. Speedvagen is built and painted by the rest of the guys in the workshop.

Though I could be entirely wrong.

bob heinatz
01-17-2018, 12:05 AM
Sacha is still building Vanilla one at a time. He has something like a 3 - 4 years waiting list and I believe his list is closed at this time. Btw I am on the list and have been there for a few years so maybe I am 50% there.

d_douglas
01-17-2018, 12:20 AM
Sacha is still building Vanilla one at a time. He has something like a 3 - 4 years waiting list and I believe his list is closed at this time. Btw I am on the list and have been there for a few years so maybe I am 50% there.

Pfffft, I am skepticsl of ‘the list’.

I have a fully Sacha built Speedvagen (*made for a NAHBS for me) that I won’t be selling, but upon delivery, he emailed me shortly afterwards to ask if I wanted to be one that list as a returning customer who gets priority.

I have owned my Vagen for 7 years and have never received any call, and even inquired once with them out of curiosity to verify that I was on it. They said ‘yes’.

I guess that might mean that his commitment to SV has exceeded what he had originally planned, so few Vanillas being built?

I am not sure what I would do if they called me tomorrow, but I have doubts that the list is even referred to anymore.

Nice bikes though :)

hokoman
01-17-2018, 12:27 AM
Pfffft, I am skepticsl of ‘the list’.

I have a fully Sacha built Speedvagen (*made for a NAHBS for me) that I won’t be selling, but upon delivery, he emailed me shortly afterwards to ask if I wanted to be one that list as a returning customer who gets priority.

I have owned my Vagen for 7 years and have never received any call, and even inquired once with them out of curiosity to verify that I was on it. They said ‘yes’.

I guess that might mean that his commitment to SV has exceeded what he had originally planned, so few Vanillas being built?

I am not sure what I would do if they called me tomorrow, but I have doubts that the list is even referred to anymore.

Nice bikes though :)

Darren,
Easy, you tell Sacha that you now ride a 53.5tt and to go bananas on the details! 😁

bob heinatz
01-17-2018, 12:39 AM
Interesting. Trust me I am not holding my breath waiting to be contacted.

Peter B
01-17-2018, 12:42 AM
Not sure what's up at the workshop re: custom Vanillas.

When is the last time pics of a new Vanilla were posted anywhere?

I once inquired about joining the list to get on the list.

In the meantime, I enjoy my '10 Roadvagen.

chiasticon
01-17-2018, 06:28 AM
still adore this one.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3817/9353000260_755af4aaff_b.jpg

alexchoi
01-17-2018, 07:45 AM
One of favorite parts from my SV. :banana::banana:

gone
01-17-2018, 09:25 AM
I read a while back (forget where but think it was in an interview with Sacha) that he builds 12-15 Vanillas a year and the wait list had 300+ names on it. I can’t think of ANYTHING that I wanted 20 years ago that I either don’t have or still want.

Greg

Cornfed
01-17-2018, 09:45 AM
I am not sure what I would do if they called me tomorrow,...

You would give them my phone number ... :)

crankles
01-17-2018, 10:47 AM

My thoughts exactly;-)

rallizes
01-17-2018, 11:02 AM
I read a while back (forget where but think it was in an interview with Sacha) that he builds 12-15 Vanillas a year and the wait list had 300+ names on it. I can’t think of ANYTHING that I wanted 20 years ago that I either don’t have or still want.

Greg

They seem nice but life is too short.

However, for some I think the wait is the point.

Or being on the list.

I know a guy in a well-known queue. He said the builder got in touch saying he was up next. Guy said he told the builder no rush, no need to start, etc.

More interested in telling people he's in the closed queue than getting the frame built I guess.

Strange IMO

d_douglas
01-17-2018, 11:31 AM

Ha ha - Yes, Ive thought of that. To be honest, as happy as I am with mine now, if I did get 'the call' I might crack and have a new one built just to capitalize on the wait!! The only thing better on my bike would have been disc brakes, but he didn't do them on road bikes at the time.

KarlC
01-17-2018, 11:34 AM
A real nice Vanilla FS here ....

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=216069&highlight=vanilla

FlashUNC
01-17-2018, 11:48 AM
Strikes me that all the effort and energy is behind Speedvagen these days, and the model for Sacha and Co is very much moved away from the one man shop building a frame at a time.

They're doing something differently and with the stock and custom stuff now, seem to know what they want to do. Good on them. Maybe one day I'll pull the trigger and get one.

choke
01-17-2018, 12:57 PM
I read a while back (forget where but think it was in an interview with Sacha) that he builds 12-15 Vanillas a year and the wait list had 300+ names on it.I recall reading something along those lines too. And then there's this....For those who got on the "original list" pre-2007, when their name came up, Sacha would build whatever bike they wanted - road, track, cx, rando, city, touring, fixie etc. using whatever fabrication methodology the buyer desired.
I would think Fuzzalows fillet road was one of the last "have it your way" builds, that with a 5-6 year wait.

What is happening now is Vanilla's are being built in group of a particular genre. The letter that went out last summer spoke about a lugged road - so folks wanting that on the list to get on the list were called. if you wanted a track bike, you didn't get called. no idea which genres and in which order as no roadmap was "announced". https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1698604&postcount=50

KarlC
01-17-2018, 04:48 PM

Greg

Sacha spending part of his time building 12-15 Vanillas a year sounds right, and the 300+ names on the wait list must be constantly changing, names falling off and others added.