PDA

View Full Version : Who’s running wolftooth drop stop/similar without clutch der. or chain keeper?

zambenini
01-15-2018, 09:29 AM
I have run a wolftooth 1x11 with m8000 xt and the clutch derailleur and chainring combo has never let me down. I am building up, however a baby trailer bike path bike that will occasionally see trail use for fun and reusing some 10 speed parts to run it 1x10.

How essential is a clutch derailleur or chain keeper? if I can get away without buying a clutch derailleur or chain watcher I want to avoid the extra cash. Like I said: mostly bike path use but also the occasional trail foray, esp. if I have a friend in town who wants to MTB or I just feel like using this bike...

AngryScientist
01-15-2018, 09:33 AM
it'll be fine. expect more chain slap in the smaller cogs...

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-cOvu_zCwq10/WOJBOpzzNNI/AAAAAAAACwA/oWDrQRZoe3s5t9_WH0yPGRtTcZ5d0e7jACLcB/s1140/Capture.JPG

chiasticon
01-15-2018, 09:42 AM
what he said ^

if you're doing cyclocross or MTB frequently, you want to have a narrow/wide chainring and clutch RD. you can get by without them for what you have planned for the bike.

zambenini
01-15-2018, 09:48 AM
Sweet. Thx.

JimmyTango
01-15-2018, 10:31 AM
related: Can anyone speak to riding CX with a clutch RD but without a narrow-wide ring?

chiasticon
01-15-2018, 11:20 AM
related: Can anyone speak to riding CX with a clutch RD but without a narrow-wide ring?it'll be easier to put the chain back on when it falls off? <shrugs>

NHAero
01-15-2018, 11:25 AM
I have a 1x10 with an XT non-clutch RD on my dropbar Litespeed MTB and lost the chain off the Wolftooth narrow-wide under power on a dirt road. Now I have a chain keeper...

Jaybee
01-15-2018, 11:35 AM
Just as a small bit of counter-experience: I have a hardtail that has been running Sram 1x10 with a NW ring (Chromag) and a non-clutch X9 rear derailleur for 3 years now with no chain drops. I'm not getting crazy on it, but it's not babied either. It sees plenty of rocky/rooty singletrack at speed and drops up to 18" on the trails I typically ride.

I just had the parts on hand, so that's what I used. If buying a derailleur for a 1x application, no reason not to go clutch.

weaponsgrade
01-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Someone else I know runs a NW and non-clutch rd. He hasn't had any problems and rides lots of fast bumpy dirt. I'd say the NW contributes a good 80% to keeping the chain on rather than the clutch.

kppolich
01-15-2018, 01:07 PM
I've dropped a chain on the road using a SRAM Narrow/Wide chain ring and a non-clutched rear der. (Sram WiFli). Have no idea what happened as I was on a relatively smooth asphalt road and was cresting a hill. I have never dropped a chain on my geared CX bike using cx1 narrow wide ring and clutched force1 rear der. Of course, you could also just go Single Speed and forget about it!

SpeedyChix
01-15-2018, 03:40 PM
I have had positive experiences.

My SS with EBB has been running 1x10, RaceFace narrow/wide front and non-clutch RD. No guide and no drops.

Path bike is setup Pacenti narrow/wide, 11-speed w/o clutch, no guide, no drops.

An old FD can be used if you want a bit of safety on it.

zambenini
01-15-2018, 05:29 PM
Gotta do something with that front D!