PDA

View Full Version : what up wit dis? Quikrack vs 1Up

eddief
01-14-2018, 09:42 AM
Just saw this in another thread. Is this a new company? Have we heard of them previous? Is it just a knock off of 1Up?

https://www.quikrack.com/

happycampyer
01-14-2018, 09:56 AM
I think it’s a new company formed by the original inventor of the 1-Up rack. It seems as if he sold the company, waited out a non-compete, redesigned the rack with a bunch of improvements, and launched a new venture. His first attempt was botched by calling the new company “1Up” instead of “1-Up,” or somesuch. Now it’s “QuikRack.” Or so it seems. Watch the video compariing the two racks.

eddief
01-14-2018, 09:58 AM
If you watch the vid it looks as though he improved every minor flaw in the original. Now maybe there will be some competition...and a price war!

oooops. Not in stock:

https://www.quikrack.com/products/quik-rack-mach-2-aluminum-hitch-bike-rack

Cicli
01-14-2018, 10:34 AM
They are right up the road from me. Down the street from 1up. May have to stop in.

ORMojo
01-14-2018, 10:51 AM
Also appears that it is the 2nd generation of the new, new, company's product, so it is improved even further. I see several things about this one that I like much better than the originals.

Very nice pricing, and no up-charge for black.

Marc40a
01-14-2018, 01:31 PM
Very cool, but a nonstarter for bikes with fenders.

Clancy
01-14-2018, 01:47 PM
Very cool, but a nonstarter for bikes with fenders.

Who does make a sturdy, quality platform rack that can handle bike(s) w/ fenders?

Birddog
01-14-2018, 02:00 PM
How does Iup or Quik Rack compare to a Kuat?

htwoopup
01-14-2018, 07:48 PM

I have a 1-up (the original).

But I have bikes in two different places which are in two different countries and the rack was always in the wrong place when I needed it so I decided to buy a second rack.

Because a number of people here said Kuat (and a number said 1-up. I think it is religious like Shimano/ Campy), I checked out the Kuat.

The Kuats just seemed flimsier/ cheesily made. I can't say that is really true since I decided not to buy those but that was my sense.

So I bought a second 1-up. The original from the company the inventor sold to, not from the inventor's new company.

Very happy with it. They are very substantial, very very well made, and perfect and carry the bikes in such a way that they will never damage the paint/ carbon.

brockd15
01-15-2018, 01:47 AM
Who does make a sturdy, quality platform rack that can handle bike(s) w/ fenders?

The Thule T2 works great with my fendered bike (SKS Longboard fenders, for reference).

heartattackride
01-15-2018, 02:58 AM
Looks like Quikrack is $269 + free shipping vs 1-Up at $311.00 shipped to me in Ca. for the 1 bike version.

ptourkin
01-15-2018, 08:32 AM
Also appears that it is the 2nd generation of the new, new, company's product, so it is improved even further. I see several things about this one that I like much better than the originals.

Very nice pricing, and no up-charge for black.

At least here in Southern California, I'd skip the black next time maybe unless you have a garage. Any ano is perishable. I love my 1Up but it's not really what you'd call black anymore.

chiasticon
01-15-2018, 08:54 AM
Who does make a sturdy, quality platform rack that can handle bike(s) w/ fenders?not a platform rack but I've had success putting fendered bikes on fork mount racks. you just have to push the fender to the side a bit.

Gummee
01-15-2018, 08:58 AM
The Thule T2 works great with my fendered bike (SKS Longboard fenders, for reference).

Won't work with full fenders. AMHIK

AFA the Kuat vs whatever this new rack is called: I'd rather look at the Kuat. Looks much better. ...and they support LBSes so that is the direction I'd lean

M

p nut
01-15-2018, 09:02 AM

3 reasons why I got the Kuat over 1-Up:

Integrated lock for the Bikes

Built in workstand

Hitch pin (1 up doesn’t have this)

If buyin today. I’d be interested in the Quikrack. I like how small it folds up for storage.

But 100% satisfied with the Kuat.

ORMojo
01-15-2018, 09:47 AM
At least here in Southern California, I'd skip the black next time maybe unless you have a garage. Any ano is perishable. I love my 1Up but it's not really what you'd call black anymore.

Thanks, good to know.

Birddog
01-15-2018, 09:58 AM
I should have mentioned I have an older Kuat 2 bike (forgot what model) but doesn't have the built in lock or work stand feature. It's nice, bike stays secure but it rattles at the hinge and is pretty heavy. I liked how in the video the Quik Rack folded up and appeared to be somewhat lighter in weight. Mostly just curious to hear from someone who has used both.

xander1027
01-15-2018, 02:49 PM
Wow! I have a 1Up rack and this whole situation is pretty interesting.

dem
01-15-2018, 03:34 PM
I have owned the Sportworx, Thule T2, the 1UP USA, the Saris Thelma and the Kuat Sherpa (don't get me started on how many floor pumps I've owned!)

Kuat Sherpa has a higher wife acceptance factor (WAF) - it is lighter (27 pounds vs. 46 pounds for the 1Up) and it has less pinchy parts that can chop your digits.

The Sherpa is the "basic" rack, not the fancier NV with the work stand.

If it was just me I'd use the 1Up or the Quickrack, due to the smaller stored profile and I can lift 46 pounds fine. :)

YoKev
01-15-2018, 03:44 PM
Although not ideal, I have used the 1up with plastic planet bike fenders. I made sure the fender struts were nice and snug, then put a small piece of pipe insulation around the cross brace that usually snugs up around the tire. No problems in 8 hours of round trip driving. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

vqdriver
01-15-2018, 03:48 PM
.... and it has less pinchy parts that can chop your digits.

yes. the 1up has close tolerances and with the way it functions, the locking arm things are like giant scissors. to say it would lop off fingers is obviously hyperbole, but it looks to have enough leverage to do serious damage if you're operating it and your kid/dog is unsuspecting.

htwoopup
01-16-2018, 06:45 AM
3 reasons why I got the Kuat over 1-Up:

Integrated lock for the Bikes

Hitch pin (1 up doesn’t have this)

If buyin today. I’d be interested in the Quikrack. I like how small it folds up for storage.

The original 1-Up has wheel locks which for me is very important and it is easy to lock the bikes to the rack or the hitch.

It has a locking hitch bolt which I found so brilliant I have been working with a machine shop to make my boat and other hitch stuff have the same thing as the 1-Up does instead of a hitch pin.

And the original folds up pretty nicely. These are 1-Up rack stuff for 2 bikes on a NYC apartment terrace....

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4753/25851607988_66e5c7d4c7_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Foqfp7)IMG_0936 (https://flic.kr/p/Foqfp7) by Jon Mandel (https://www.flickr.com/photos/135458097@N04/), on Flickr

But other than that, it does not have a built in work stand. Which I haven't needed when I am in a parking lot with my bike but YMMV.

ERK55
01-16-2018, 07:15 AM

I have the 1Up (2 bike version).
The quality is great. 1Up charges more for black.
I briefly regretted ordering the silver version but not now. 1) the silver tends to hide dirt and scrapes, and 2) I think it’s a little more visible back there holding precious cargo.

djdj
01-16-2018, 05:38 PM
Since we've already drifted a bit OT, let me say that I've been super happy with the Saris SuperClamp for 4 bikes.

mecse
03-17-2018, 03:57 PM
Has anyone bought one of the new QuikRacks? Any reviews from our esteemed members?

Mikej
03-17-2018, 04:41 PM
Quick racks have a 2000+ waiting list with the first batch expected by July. Go check out Mtbr.com cars and racks section - there is plenty to read about ole Cal, the original guy-

Veloo
09-16-2020, 06:54 AM
Bumping this thread.

I guess it's Covid that has me suddenly getting emails from a bunch of outlets that haven't emailed me in a very long time - Quik Rack being one of them.

So anyone have or use one? Feedback on this vs the 1Up?

I'm still in the market for some kind of car bike transporter.