PDA

View Full Version : DON'T use UPS!!

oldpotatoe
01-12-2018, 11:12 AM
Or at least use 'signature required'.

Ordered an Apple watch for son..delivered onto porch last night(no problem with porch pirates), I'm not home, no 'Sig Required'..this AM, noticed Apple watch specific, external box, securing tape had been cut(?)...that's right, nothing inside, internal, Apple watch box EMPTY...UPS seemed not hugely concerned..we'll see where this goes. :butt:to UPS

old fat man
01-12-2018, 11:16 AM
Did the box clearly denote it was from Apple? I always think the branded shipping boxes are a bad idea. I'd rather the delivery person, or person walking past the house (crime of opportunity) not be able to so easily identify the source of the package.

Separately, can Apple tell you the serial number of the watch and use any fancy apps to locate it or determine if it has been activated? Police might be able to help if you have this type of info.

Clean39T
01-12-2018, 11:22 AM
Or at least use 'signature required'.

Ordered an Apple watch for son..delivered onto porch last night(no problem with porch pirates), I'm not home, no 'Sig Required'..this AM, noticed Apple watch specific, external box, securing tape had been cut(?)...that's right, nothing inside, internal, Apple watch box EMPTY...UPS seemed not hugely concerned..we'll see where this goes. :butt:to UPS

I doubt that is standard practice or condoned within the company, so maligning UPS wholesale might be a bit harsh. I imagine they'll do the right thing through customer service eventually. This is just the world we live in...too many people, making too many problems, and there's not much love to go around... Besides, it's not like there are foolproof alternatives to UPS (FedEx has the same gene-pool), other than not shopping online, or if you do, only using "ship to store". I do wish you luck getting it all sorted and hopefully with less than 4-hrs on hold.

chiasticon
01-12-2018, 11:25 AM
direct apple shipments don't usually say "Apple" on them. someone must have known what it was. obviously an inside job, as no porch thief would go through all the trouble to open the box, remove wrapper on watch box, then seal everything back up; they'd just take the box! the person inside UPS that did it clearly wanted it to get delivered still, so that it didn't disappear while it was in their hands.

maybe contact Apple, as I believe the shipper has to be the one to initiate a claim. and maybe it's happened before so they know how best to deal with it? wouldn't be surprised.

really sucks. I hope you get it cleared up.

ripvanrando
01-12-2018, 11:29 AM
Family member works there on the belt......someone went unconscious on the belt and another worker shut the belt down. Supervisor yelled and screamed that the line should not have been shut down. Boxes were like a sea and it took minutes to reach the poor fellow, who was just exhausted from mandatory 16 hour shifts without any rest breaks. No rests.

Oh, the bastards ruined a classic firearm of mine and refused to pay claiming I boxed it poorly....double boxed inside a gun case.....it almost stood up to what would appear to have been a forklift running over it.

Not a fan of UPS

oldpotatoe
01-12-2018, 11:32 AM
Did the box clearly denote it was from Apple? I always think the branded shipping boxes are a bad idea. I'd rather the delivery person, or person walking past the house (crime of opportunity) not be able to so easily identify the source of the package.

Separately, can Apple tell you the serial number of the watch and use any fancy apps to locate it or determine if it has been activated? Police might be able to help if you have this type of info.

Return address said AI, but very unique, long, slender box. See one once and pretty obvious what it is. Gonna let UPS do their thing, then see if it’s ‘registered’. Claim initiated by me.

R3awak3n
01-12-2018, 11:32 AM
lets be honest though, I have heard bad things about FedEx, USPS, DHL, ect, ect, ect.... They are all bad....

Or maybe some of their employees are bad, just like, hummmm, a huge corporation

AngryScientist
01-12-2018, 11:34 AM
incidentally - i think they all suck right now.

i think with the boom of amazon, etc - they shipping companies are simply overwhelmed and have not come up with an efficient way to manage the new normal volume.

shipments i've been waiting for lately have been a mess, through all three major carriers, all around.

hope you get sorted out Peter, brand new apple products have got to be a hot target for theft.

jtakeda
01-12-2018, 11:39 AM
incidentally - i think they all suck right now.

i think with the boom of amazon, etc - they shipping companies are simply overwhelmed and have not come up with an efficient way to manage the new normal volume.

shipments i've been waiting for lately have been a mess, through all three major carriers, all around.

hope you get sorted out Peter, brand new apple products have got to be a hot target for theft.

This is unfortunately the reality.

P.O. boxes or ship where someone will be home is the new normal

jemoryl
01-12-2018, 11:40 AM
Seems to fit in with the general crapification of services. Take a flight lately?

Last month I bought some components from CA that were shipped to the east coast via FedEx/Bikeflights. Took about 5 days to get from the west coast to the local depot but a week to make it the last 20 miles! Each day it said it was out for delivery but at the end of the day the tracking would say 'delayed delivery requested' (but I wasn't the one doing the requesting).

Clean39T
01-12-2018, 12:04 PM
This is unfortunately the reality.

P.O. boxes or ship where someone will be home is the new normal

Or just redirect to a UPS or FedEx "store" - which is what I do with all my boxes for bikes/wheels, etc. I have them shipped to my office address to avoid the residential delivery fee, then redirect them to the store. Easy peasy.

redir
01-12-2018, 12:07 PM
That's a bummer, good luck with it.

I did a short stint working for UPS many years ago so I know never to use UPS LOL. I would not doubt if the USPS or FedEX employees also ram, throw, and shove everything into shipment containers either but darn if it was a site to see working for UPS.

EliteVelo
01-12-2018, 12:27 PM
Maybe look into what "ring" has to offer at ring.com
I have a couple of their products and have been pleased.
For frames, I do the same as Clean39T. Good advice

Willy
01-12-2018, 01:01 PM
FWIW - anything that I have ordered from Apple has always required a signature even to the point that I have had to drive to the delivery office to get it. Did you order this through Apple?

72gmc
01-12-2018, 01:18 PM
Seems to fit in with the general crapification of services. Take a flight lately?

Service at volume seems ripe for a significant leap forward, but a more balanced relationship between "do more with less" and "do better" will be hard to justify in the age of shareholder value.

shinomaster
01-12-2018, 01:21 PM
I've been shipping valuable things every day with UPS for 18 years and rarely have a problem. This is an abnormal incident and you just need to file a claim with apple, and they will file one with UPS. Keep the box.

oldpotatoe
01-12-2018, 01:29 PM
FWIW - anything that I have ordered from Apple has always required a signature even to the point that I have had to drive to the delivery office to get it. Did you order this through Apple?

Yes, from Apple.com, but according to UPS, not designated 'Sig Required'...

Should have just picked it up at Apple store..

oldpotatoe
01-12-2018, 01:31 PM
I've been shipping valuable things every day with UPS for 18 years and rarely have a problem. This is an abnormal incident and you just need to file a claim with apple, and they will file one with UPS. Keep the box.

No sir, I file a claim with UPS, as per conversation with Apple. No doubt abnormal and don't want to point fingers yet, but it sure looks like 'somebody' at UPS has some sticky fingers.

froze
01-12-2018, 01:45 PM
I've had an item disappear from UPS shipping once and the company I bought it from replaced it. As far as a signature requirement, it isn't based on a dollar amount it's based on the seller's requirement, so to save shipping cost for the seller a lot of products are sent without signature requirements, and in todays competitive online sales anything that will reduce the shipping cost will be done. You can require a seller to ship anything to you with a signature but you'll have to pay for that service.

shinomaster
01-12-2018, 01:48 PM
That can happen anywhere though. It you really really need to send something of high value ( diamonds etc., gold, human embryos etc.. ) use USPS Registered mail. It is locked up the entire way.

Black Dog
01-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Yes, from Apple.com, but according to UPS, not designated 'Sig Required'...

Should have just picked it up at Apple store..

That seems odd. Apple, as far as I know, always requires a sig for this very reason.

jke.4132
01-12-2018, 01:51 PM
I've had 2 deliveries with which I've had problems recently; one as sender and the other as recipient. I sent a card and check through USPS to an artist for some work that were never received. I bought a frame from a forum member in Sweden there and there are issues now with delivery.

woolly
01-12-2018, 01:58 PM
That seems odd. Apple, as far as I know, always requires a sig for this very reason.

I thought I recalled that too, but both of our new iPhones arrived without it - were just left on the front step.

shinomaster
01-12-2018, 02:03 PM
I thought I recalled that too, but both of our new iPhones arrived without it - were just left on the front step.

It adds to the cost of shipping. They probably figure it's cheaper overall to not require it, if they are sending out thousands of telephones.

oldpotatoe
01-12-2018, 02:03 PM
Update...yes, claim in with UPS..but for grins, started a chat session with Apple..

Full refund a result...I could have just gotten a replacement 'sent', but, no thanks.."fool me once", etc....

So...as we talk about customer service and places like..well, 'Apple'...just for info.

bigbill
01-12-2018, 02:19 PM
When I mailed you the hubs earlier, I did it through a "mailbox" store and they asked if I wanted UPS. Having read this earlier, I did it right. What's sad is that this store is necessary. If everyone is gone for the summer and I'm getting something delivered, I get it delivered to the mailbox place just because we have porch pirates.

Tony T
01-12-2018, 04:46 PM
Apple requires signatures (for me) for everything, even the $19 charger I bought a few months ago.

beeatnik
01-12-2018, 04:56 PM
What can Brown do for you.

NHAero
01-12-2018, 05:02 PM
I bought pedals on eBay that were shipped Jan 3rd. Unfortunately signature required so tried to figure out when they would come. 3 days in a row got messages saying shipment delayed due to severe weather (really, three days?) when I checked the tracking number. It was out for delivery on the 10th, we kept the yard lights on until 7:30 or so, finally turned them off. Heard foot steps on the deck, a thump, and he's gone. There's the package, and I'm sure he's ticked off that he got the signature...

BTW, I tried for an hour to get on the UPS site and sign for the package ahead of time, but couldn't make that work (even though UPS sent me emails soliciting this)

Tickdoc
01-12-2018, 05:52 PM
Update...yes, claim in with UPS..but for grins, started a chat session with Apple..

Full refund a result...I could have just gotten a replacement 'sent', but, no thanks.."fool me once", etc....

So...as we talk about customer service and places like..well, 'Apple'...just for info.

Yes! Now you can go buy it physically in the flesh. Oh, wait, that may not be fun either.

HenryA
01-12-2018, 05:53 PM
I usually get it in the other end.

Signature required, wait all afternoon through the 4 hour delivery window, check website - "on truck for delivery". Does not show in delivery window, call, promised its on the truck, truck shows, no signature required package. Driver is a pretty good guy I tell him his company is a bunch of liars. Feel slightly bad about it. Slightly. I guess I may apologize to him, maybe not.

Call again, promised its on the truck. Another truck which I know is BS. Wait until 9PM. Nothing. Call, get nasty, get "its on the truck again" called her a liar and her company too. Call again, reschedule for pick up at station. Drive 40 minutes to nearest station, pick it up drive home 40 minutes.

So, got the package a day late, spent most of a day waiting for the liars to show up, drove to get the damn thing myself and paid extra to do it. What a bunch of &(#)*U$ liars.

Peter P.
01-12-2018, 08:00 PM
Delete: Duplicate post.

Peter P.
01-12-2018, 08:01 PM
During the Christmas holiday season, UPS hires a ton of temp workers.

In the New Haven CT area, one such temp worker was caught ON HIS SECOND DAY ON THE JOB (http://www.courant.com/breaking-news/hc-br-north-haven-ups-driver-arrested-20171213-story.html) stealing a recipient's merchandise as she watched from her front door.

Mikej
01-12-2018, 09:50 PM
Dang, somebody should invent a place where you go in and buy something and walk out with it, like a “store” or something.....you know, cut out the shipping.

parris
01-12-2018, 10:06 PM
A number of years ago I sent one of my competition shotguns half way across country for some extensive mechanical work this time of year. The gunsmith and I talked a few times including the day he shipped the gun back. The package required a signature and was insured. I get home from work and see a box around the back of my garage in the snow. Luck was on my side and the gun was inside undamaged. There were signature required tags on the box. NOT a cool thing. It was UPS.

sfscott
01-12-2018, 10:45 PM
UPS is the absolute worst. Except for OnTrak.

Can’t tell you how many times I’ve paid for expedited delivery and UPS unilaterally decides not to deliver on time. Excuses like system issue or driver left on truck for some other day.

Completely ignore instructions to hold packages or follow delivery instructions. Best was leaving a signature required deliver only during business hours box with an expensive piece of jewelry for my wife sitting outside on a Saturday.

Glad I got it but it would have been interesting to see how they reacted to a five figure insurance claim.

FedEx and only fedex. Or surprisingly USPS. FedEx though is using too many contractors for ground and they suck too.

oldpotatoe
01-13-2018, 07:31 AM
Yes! Now you can go buy it physically in the flesh. Oh, wait, that may not be fun either.

That's what I did...down to the local Apple store..what I should have done in the first place.

froze
01-13-2018, 07:36 AM
UPS is the absolute worst. Except for OnTrak.

Can’t tell you how many times I’ve paid for expedited delivery and UPS unilaterally decides not to deliver on time. Excuses like system issue or driver left on truck for some other day.

Completely ignore instructions to hold packages or follow delivery instructions. Best was leaving a signature required deliver only during business hours box with an expensive piece of jewelry for my wife sitting outside on a Saturday.

Glad I got it but it would have been interesting to see how they reacted to a five figure insurance claim.

FedEx and only fedex. Or surprisingly USPS. FedEx though is using too many contractors for ground and they suck too.

I have had a lot of stuff mailed over the years by either USPS, or UPS, or FedEx and quite frankly I haven't noticed any difference between the three when you average it out.

The one thing that has happened within the last year is that Amazon has contracted with USPS that they MUST deliver Amazon mail 7 days a week, this means that USPS is now operating 7 days a week instead of 6 days like they use to; and USPS must deliver packages for Amazon up to 8pm at night instead of just by 5pm. This action that Amazon has taken has allowed for very rapid delivery of packages, but note, this is only effective if you order from Amazon, order from anyone else and it doesn't matter who the mail service is on average, the delivery will be about the same time frame and the package will arrive in about the same condition.

Note, I said on average, sure on a short term thing one service may outshine another and make you believe the one is the better one, but over a long period of time all three will average out to be about the same.