PDA

View Full Version : Half Link VS Full Link Chains

m_sasso
01-11-2018, 05:31 PM
Can anyone explain or comment on half link VS full link Chains, any one using a half link chain?
No experience with them however viewed one at the track yesterday I was unable to speak with the owner and would like to understand the benefits and drawbacks?

Thanks,

Kontact
01-11-2018, 05:36 PM
Speaking generally, half link chains can be adjusted in single link intervals very simply.

But they are likely to be heavier than a standard chain because of the stepped links and need to make those plates strong enough to not stretch.

rustychisel
01-11-2018, 08:11 PM
As you probably know, a half link is used where minimal adjustment is required me make a specified gear work and there is otherwise insufficient adjustment available though a horizontal dropout. This may be, for example, turning a bike with vertical dropouts into a single speed without using a tensioner.

I used one for quite some years on a Giant OCR which I ran as fixed gear, but even so it didn't give the precise adjustment of chain length to be a success.

In my nuanced world, half link chains are a heavy and unnecessary vanity based item for some people* which may well stretch more than an ordinary chain**.

* ie 'hipsters or their spawn
** empirical evidence needed but it seems likely given the stepped plates comprising such a chain

macaroon
01-12-2018, 07:14 AM
It's better to use a "full link" chain and just fit a single half link to it. They can usually be bought separately.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/-OUAAOSwQPlV~cEl/s-l300.jpg

oldpotatoe
01-12-2018, 07:23 AM
Can anyone explain or comment on half link VS full link Chains, any one using a half link chain?
No experience with them however viewed one at the track yesterday I was unable to speak with the owner and would like to understand the benefits and drawbacks?

Thanks,

Easier to get chain tension right on some fixed gear/track/pista bikes w/o a bunch of fore-aft adjustment via their dropouts.