PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: Fishing (Rods & Reels)

Nooch
01-11-2018, 04:24 PM
My old man wasn't a guy's guy, and never imparted any of the knowledge a lot of dad's pass down to their sons. That said, my Step-Father is -- and he and I have grown to really enjoy each other's company.

That said, his birthday is coming up and I'd mentioned to him in the 12 or so years I've known him, he's never mentioned things I'd think he'd be into -- fishing, camping, and such. Turns out he used to -- never enough time, these days.

Well, screw that. We spend a week on Cape Cod and I wanted to buy him a rod, and perhaps myself as well, and take him fishing. But I know squat about the topic. Budget isn't huge (I'm hoping it doesn't have to be to buy him something that'll be serviceable, since I have no idea where his old stuff is currently stored), but I'd like to buy him/us something decent.

Any suggestions from the gallery?

Thanks all!

Edit: Campy doesn't make reels, right, this is just a shimano territory?

cadence90
01-11-2018, 04:54 PM
I know nothing about fishing either, but if he has little time to fish perhaps focus less on buying additional equipment to that which he has in storage, and more on providing a fantastic experience?

I.e. perhaps buy him a longer, better day or days in the boat (this will be sea-fishing, correct?), meals, some surprise destination, etc., and simply rent (at least this first time) the proper equipment required as part of that package?

But again, I know nothing about how fishing works.

msl819
01-11-2018, 05:10 PM
I love to fish and would be happy to help any way I can. Fishing is like bikes. You can spend a fair amount quickly, but you don’t have to. It is also pretty varied. Question will be what type of fishing you want to do? Freshwater/Saltwater, etc. it is hard to go wrong with good/decent spin cast combos and baitcast Combo. That may not mean much. But we can help. I would also point you to a local shop with knowledge and expertise in your area. I use both fly tackle and conventional tackle. But I am in Louisiana and fish for bass and sunfish as well as the occasional redfish or speckled trout in saltwater. If you can give us a rough idea of what you are trying to do and trying to catch we can give better info. Places like Bass Prp Shop are a good place to start and there are videos for days online to help inderstand how to type stuff.

54ny77
01-11-2018, 05:55 PM
Check out Penn's "Fierce II" rod & spinning reel combos. Terrific value, and they come in a variety of sizes. I have a few of 'em and use 'em pretty hard in a saltwater environment, and a quick rinse after use w/fresh water and occasional lubricant on certain spots that aren't sealed, voila. Keep on fishin' without breaking the bank.

htwoopup
01-11-2018, 06:11 PM
If you are talking the Cape, you are talking about salt water.

The next question is do you foresee surf casting...i.e. standing on a beach and casting into the ocean/ bay...or

Fishing off of a dock (equipment can be same as above or below)....or

Fishing on a boat/ kayak/ etc out on the water?

If you answer those in a way I am happy to get more in depth (no pun intended).

The equipment is ever so slightly different in each case but you will need a longer rod for surf fishing and some different tackle (the stuff you put on the end of the line that the fish bite on). You can use a spinning rod for all of the types but you want a bit bigger one surf fishing. Both of those size things have to do with how far you need to cast. But, if fishing off of docks/ on boats you can use different equipment more effectively.

Nooch
01-11-2018, 06:36 PM
If you are talking the Cape, you are talking about salt water.

The next question is do you foresee surf casting...i.e. standing on a beach and casting into the ocean/ bay...or

Fishing off of a dock (equipment can be same as above or below)....or

Fishing on a boat/ kayak/ etc out on the water?

If you answer those in a way I am happy to get more in depth (no pun intended).

The equipment is ever so slightly different in each case but you will need a longer rod for surf fishing and some different tackle (the stuff you put on the end of the line that the fish bite on). You can use a spinning rod for all of the types but you want a bit bigger one surf fishing. Both of those size things have to do with how far you need to cast. But, if fishing off of docks/ on boats you can use different equipment more effectively.

I'd expect we would be fishing from the shore, so yes, surf casting! Gotta figure out where, though.

AngryScientist
01-11-2018, 06:48 PM
It's the cape. Don't buy a bunch of junky budget gear to try and fish somewhere for one day. Get yourself and the old man on a commercial boat. They'll have all the gear, and know where to catch fish. You'll have way more fun that way.

Oh yea- they'll know how to gut and cut the fish you catch too.

I spent years on the cape, and summers cutting fish on docks. Trust me.

msl819
01-11-2018, 06:55 PM
It's the cape. Don't buy a bunch of junky budget gear to try and fish somewhere for one day. Get yourself and the old man on a commercial boat. They'll have all the gear, and know where to catch fish. You'll have way more fun that way.

Oh yea- they'll know how to gut and cut the fish you catch too.

I spent years on the cape, and summers cutting fish on docks. Trust me.

This won’t be cheap but it will be the best way to catch fish. If catching is the goal I’d use a guide or charter boat. If the goal is time spent, learning together, and do it over and over, take that money and get good serviceable gear that will give you the flexibility to go on a moments notice.

Nooch
01-11-2018, 07:04 PM
This won’t be cheap but it will be the best way to catch fish. If catching is the goal I’d use a guide or charter boat. If the goal is time spent, learning together, and do it over and over, take that money and get good serviceable gear that will give you the flexibility to go on a moments notice.

That's more the goal. And perhaps something for my girls, too (5 and 4)

msl819
01-11-2018, 07:11 PM
That's more the goal. And perhaps something for my girls, too (5 and 4)

Which is the goal? As a father of a 9,7, and 4 y/o I can tell you kids love to fish when they are catching fish. When they are not they can make it miserable for everyone very quickly. When taking a kid fishing my primary goal is how can I make sure they catch fish.

54ny77
01-11-2018, 07:20 PM
best money you'll spend is going out on a charter (small or big boat), watching & learning how it's done. or just as well, for inshore and pier stuff, go to a reputable local bait & tackle store and ask them if there's anyone they would recommend to teach you & your kids the ropes for local waters. so much can be specific to the area: bait types, the seasons for particular types of fish, etc. local knowledge is invaluable.

msl819
01-11-2018, 07:34 PM
best money you'll spend is going out on a charter (small or big boat), watching & learning how it's done. or just as well, for inshore and pier stuff, go to a reputable local bait & tackle store and ask them if there's anyone they would recommend to teach you & your kids the ropes for local waters. so much can be specific to the area: bait types, the seasons for particular types of fish, etc. local knowledge is invaluable.

Agree... invaluable. One day or half day on the water with someone who knows what they are doing will teach you what you will take much longer to learn on your own. If your step dad knows the ropes perhaps you can skip it. A good first trip will hopefully whet everyone’s appetite for more.

HenryA
01-11-2018, 07:43 PM
A guided trip fishing from the beach. If the kids get bored they will be at the beach. Should not be hard to find a guide to take you and supply the gear as well.

If its fun buy some gear then.

Nooch
01-11-2018, 07:45 PM
Sorry, to clarify, the goal is the time spent bonding.

classtimesailer
01-11-2018, 07:53 PM
I'd get a couple Shimano reels like a Cardiff and 7 foot medium weight rods that will cast 1/2 ounce lures/bait. At least 200 yards of 12 lb test. That's a light tackle salt outfit for surf, boat, pier, or whatever. Cape Cod Bluefish, Florida Keys, Texas Redfish, Baja Dorado, etc.

Edit. A guide and boat for one day will cost as much as decent tackle that will last a lifetime.

htwoopup
01-11-2018, 07:57 PM
As others have said, charter or party boat (day or half day with lots of others you never met) could be fun/ bonding.

Also, the Cape is Nirvana for surf fishing from the Cape Cod Canal to hundreds of Back Bay and ocean beach spots. The key to where is moving water and/or bottom structure. Some other stuff too but those two are important.

Maybe on bonding and also needing direction, perhaps you think about a budget and then go into one of the better (thinking knowledgeable not thinking better as in “high end”) tackle shops together with Stepdad and learn and shop. Your stepdad might also impart his knowledge during that.

If you had some times (months) of your trip and roughly where could I and others here could help narrow it down some more.

msl819
01-11-2018, 07:59 PM

If the goal is bonding i’d spend my money on gear for you and step father. Your girls won’t be able to use your gear. If you bring them they can help reel a fish you hook but they are several years from being able to cast into the surf.

HenryA
01-11-2018, 08:54 PM

So leave the kids at home and the two of you go with a guide. Bonding happens quite well when someone else is handling the details and maybe putting you on some fish. And as others have written, you’re going to surf fishing Valhalla.

Frankwurst
01-11-2018, 10:22 PM
I'd get a couple Shimano reels like a Cardiff and 7 foot medium weight rods that will cast 1/2 ounce lures/bait. At least 200 yards of 12 lb test. That's a light tackle salt outfit for surf, boat, pier, or whatever. Cape Cod Bluefish, Florida Keys, Texas Redfish, Baja Dorado, etc.

Edit. A guide and boat for one day will cost as much as decent tackle that will last a lifetime.

Won't break the bank and give you a setup that can pretty much do a little bit of everything. But you're just scratching the surface. Now you need a tackle box and tackle. Once you figure out what you're going to fish for go to the net, no pun intended, and read about it. Hell you can find out everything you need to know about anything from heroin to goldfish so if you want to know how to catch a bluefish on the cape the info is out there. Then take that information, buy tackle, bait and go fish. Fishing is like anything else, learn the basics and learn from others by talking to them and learn by trial and error but the time spent with the people you enjoy being with will far outweigh the amount of fish you catch. Go fish. You'll enjoy it.:beer:

weisan
01-12-2018, 01:26 AM
Nooch pal, introduce your step dad to cycling.

dookie
01-12-2018, 04:42 PM
Chatham Light area...

numbskull
01-12-2018, 09:03 PM
I live on the Cape and have fished it hard for 5 decades.

Where and when are you going to be on the Cape......and for how long? It makes a big difference.

If you are only here for a week or so, and success is important to enjoying the experience, then you are going to be far better off to charter a boat as others have suggested. Boat fishing is far more predictable and much more likely to be productive. Checking with tackle shops will give you names of guys with good reputations.

If you plan to go it on your own then you need to decide if you are going to fish ocean beaches or the canal (which will require heavier more expensive tackle) or poke around in more enclosed waters (such as Pleasant Bay) where you can get by with smaller cheaper outfits. Be aware that in July/August most shore fishing will either be during the night (hard for a beginner) or at dawn/dusk. The canal can be spectacular (or awful) several days each side of the new/full moon.....but it draws unbelievable crowds and requires powerful tackle.

If you plan to include kids, then small rods and fishing off docks for scup, etc can be easy and fun. Anything else (other than a boat trip) is likely to bore them quickly.

froze
01-12-2018, 09:06 PM
I agree with the charter thing if you want to make sure you and your dad catch fish. Shore or pier fishing is very limited and people can sit for hours and not catch anything...but that time can be spent on bonding as you wanted, on a charter boat there are a lot of other people and some want to have private exchanges may not be done due to others listening. So it's your call on what kind of fishing you want to do.

You may also be thinking you want him to buy him a gift he'll use more then once, and he'll take a rod and reel and go off on his own or with you again over the years. However the type of fishing will dictate the type of equipment to buy. If you can only afford one outfit I would go with a longer 8 foot rod vs a shorter 7 foot rod, because even though both are great for that area the 8 footer gives you a bit more options with the ability to cast further, presentation, can be used on a boat if he ever decides to do that. However if he will only be doing shore and pier fishing then go with a 9 to 10 foot medium weight rod, go with the 10 foot if distance casting is the priority, go with a 9 foot if fishing tidewater and jetties only because distance isn't as crucial for those areas, again I would lean toward the 10 foot because you could finese one of those to fish the jetties etc but you can't cast as far with the 9 foot if you decide to go for distance sometimes. IF that area has breaking waves then you'll need even a longer rod to get past the breaks out to where the fish are, in those cases you'll need a 12 foot rod.

You can get a decent 12 foot rod by Shakespeare called the Ugly Stik Bigwater, it's a 2 piece spinning rod which means of course you need a decent spinning reel. The rod cost on Amazon $60.

Reels cost a bit more then a rod due to the complexity of the mechanicals, add to that corrosion resistance needed for saltwater duty and you have a pretty expensive reel. The best one for the price is probably the Okuma Azores Saltwater Spinning Reel, this thing will cost $100.

Of course you can spend a lot more money for a rod and reel then what I've suggested and of course get better equipment, but not knowing what your limit was I stayed on the lower side.

The only thing left to get is to put some line on the reel. If there are a lot of rocks where he fishes along the Cape then use a 40 pound test otherwise 30 is good, unless the breakers are rough and there are rocks which will require a heavier sinker of around 4 to 5 ounces plus the bait weight would push the line weight to 50. Use mono line if he'll use mostly bait, use braid if he likes to use lures. Keep in mind that the higher the line weight goes up the shorter the casting distance will be, I've always used 40 even around rocks because I was willing to take the risk of abrasion cutting the line for the ability to cast further; also if he should pier fish while rocks usually are not as much of an issue off a pier you do have to haul up a fish and the weight of the fish plus sinker could snap the line of lighter lines.

Obviously my suggestions are purely my opinion, I don't get paid by any of the products I mentioned, darn because making money is always a good thing.

holliscx
01-13-2018, 08:15 AM
Norman Maclean's A River Runs Through It is one of the finest books ever written. You can't go wrong with literature.

Try to get to Montana and pull over along the Gallatin wherever you fancy. Bozeman, Helena, and Missoula are all fine towns. But the rivers are god's country. You'll blow your stepfather away and you don't need much beyond a fly rod or two.

gomango
01-13-2018, 04:21 PM
Hard to beat a top flight charter.

When we were in Seward, I took my 18 year old son out for the day on a half and half.

Half halibut and half silvers.

15 miles down the coast and 8 miles off a strait on a reef.

He ended up with the big halibut for the day at 82 pounds.

He also caught a 63 pounder and a limit of nice silvers.

I now have a guaranteed fishing buddy for the rest of my life. :)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4389/36651374095_a52011c62a_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/XQKSB2)DSCN6992 (https://flic.kr/p/XQKSB2) by gomango1849 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/), on Flickr

froze
01-13-2018, 05:11 PM
Hard to beat a top flight charter.

When we were in Seward, I took my 18 year old son out for the day on a half and half.

Half halibut and half silvers.

15 miles down the coast and 8 miles off a strait on a reef.

He ended up with the big halibut for the day at 82 pounds.

He also caught a 63 pounder and a limit of nice silvers.

I now have a guaranteed fishing buddy for the rest of my life. :)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4389/36651374095_a52011c62a_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/XQKSB2)DSCN6992 (https://flic.kr/p/XQKSB2) by gomango1849 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/), on Flickr

yum yum!! I wish I had been there for dinner!

saf-t
01-16-2018, 02:40 PM
Is this a regular week or a one-shot?

Coworker just asked me for advice on a light surfcasting setup for her son's birthday- my suggestion was a 9' LL Bean surf rod (**lifetime** warranty), a Daiwa BG 4500, and a 300 yd spool of 30 lb. test Daiwa J-braid. Whole thing came in at under $250., and it's a setup that I'd be more than happy to fish with for the long haul.

As noted earlier, charters will almost guarantee success, but will be significantly more expensive. PM me if you want to go this route and I'll offer some suggestions

disclaimer- I have a 5 or 6:1 ratio of fishing rods to bikes ;-)

Nooch
01-17-2018, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the advice so far, guys.

On Charters -- I've emailed a few and haven't heard back just yet, but typically do they provide rods, or is it a BYO situation?

As far as the trip itself -- we usually go to the cape for a week every summer, stay between Harwich and Eastham, probably late July or early August.

I'll look into some of the setups you guys have recommended. No preference on what we're trying to catch -- if anything -- just looking to spend a few hours of quality time doing something I know *he* enjoys.

weisan
01-17-2018, 11:06 AM
just wanna piggy back on this thread a bit and ask for a bit of advice on how to become a better fisherman. :p

My younger kids enjoy fishing so their old man would drag his sorry arse and bring them. But boy, do we suck at it. We only fish in ponds and lakes.

numbskull
01-17-2018, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the advice so far, guys.

On Charters -- I've emailed a few and haven't heard back just yet, but typically do they provide rods, or is it a BYO situation?

As far as the trip itself -- we usually go to the cape for a week every summer, stay between Harwich and Eastham, probably late July or early August.

Charter boats will provide all the tackle.
Call Goose Hummock in Orleans ( http://goose.com )and ask for their recommendation on charter boats. You probably will be fishing for Striped Bass and Bluefish and can expect to be successful with a professional guide.
Daytime beach fishing on the outer Cape in July and August is likely to be frustrating unless you are very lucky (you would need to stumble onto the right mix of structure, bait, fish, and no seals) but certainly you can discuss this with Goose Hummock.

numbskull
01-17-2018, 06:42 PM
just wanna piggy back on this thread a bit and ask for a bit of advice on how to become a better fisherman. :p

My younger kids enjoy fishing so their old man would drag his sorry arse and bring them. But boy, do we suck at it. We only fish in ponds and lakes.

Motivated kids will learn quickly on their own if you provide them the equipment and opportunity to fish. Find a tackle store near where you live and ask for some advice on where to go and what to use.

Bait under a bobber near some structure (such as lily pads, weed beds, rock bars, docks, or downed trees) is the surest thing for young kids. As they get preteen they can cast and retrieve lures (expect to lose plenty to snags at the outset) or, even better, minnows hooked through the lips.

It is important to realize that fish are not distributed everywhere throughout a body of water. They concentrate near structure that holds their food and provides shelter. In freshwater they tend to leave this structure only a short distance to feed. Find structure and you will find fish. Give them something they like to eat and success will follow.

msl819
01-17-2018, 06:45 PM

What are you fishing for? Catfish? Bass? Bream? Tackle makes a big difference between them. YouTube video will be your friend in technique and such. If all you want to do is catch fish, get a bucket of crickets and hang a hook under a cork and have a ball catching break off docks, brush, etc. Bass are bit more sophisticated but still not hard to catch. Bass are usually apex predators of their water down here so reaction strikes and anger strike are a blast. Catfish can be caught all kinds of ways but it can be as simple as a hotdog stuck in a treble hook in many cases. Typically the stinkier the bait the better they like it.

msl819
01-17-2018, 06:49 PM
Motivated kids will learn quickly on their own if you provide them the equipment and opportunity to fish. Find a tackle store near where you live and ask for some advice on where to go and what to use.

Bait under a bobber near some structure (such as lily pads, weed beds, rock bars, docks, or downed trees) is the surest thing for young kids. As they get preteen they can cast and retrieve lures (expect to lose plenty to snags at the outset) or, even better, minnows hooked through the lips.

It is important to realize that fish are not distributed everywhere throughout a body of water. They concentrate near structure that holds their food and provides shelter. In freshwater they tend to leave this structure only a short distance to feed. Find structure and you will find fish. Give them something they like to eat and success will follow.

Structure and cover. Bass will often be found under stuff. Also water temps are important. Fish are cold blooded so they seek water depth that best suits their metabolic needs. If they are deep because it is really hot or really cold on the surface you will not catch them in the top of the water column. Same is true in reverse. Most people go to a pond, plop down and start fishing. Take some time to walk around, look for activity in the water, etc. you can learn a lot about what to do or where to fish if you spend a bit of time observing.

weisan
01-17-2018, 06:56 PM
Numb pal, msl pal, thank you...thank you!
Makes a lot of sense. I am going to gather my kids over here and have them read your posts. :)

"Hey guys, come over here...." :D

I am fishing with my 4, 9 and 11-yr-old.

msl819
01-17-2018, 07:55 PM
Numb pal, msl pal, thank you...thank you!
Makes a lot of sense. I am going to gather my kids over here and have them read your posts. :)

"Hey guys, come over here...." :D

I am fishing with my 4, 9 and 11-yr-old.

You’re welcome... I love to fish and will answer as many questions as you have. As you fish more and more and wonder why certain people do certain thing or how to tie knots or what the difference is between a spinnerbait, crankbait, Soft plastic, etc just ask. I love introducing people to fishing, especially dads trying to spend quality time with their kids.

weisan
01-17-2018, 09:41 PM
thank you msl pal, I am going to come to you from now on, thanks for being a resource for me and my kids, we really appreciate it.

zambenini
01-18-2018, 07:17 AM
Newer enthusiastic fly fisher here. Started with a tenkara rod (reel-less Japanese method of flyfishing) and quickly got a traditional set up. Currently using an old rod my bud found left by a stream. Not the greatest but it will catch fish. Got a nice Sage reel for it anticipating picking up a good rod one day. I'm less than $250 in on the sport between the tenkara, rudimentary tackle, and the sage reel for the foundling rod and I got out 30-ish days in 2016 (2017 just focused on MTB cuz we had a baby, but still). Point is, flyfishing has a bad rap for being complicated, difficult, and expensive. It's not and doesn't have to be. This thread errs toward ocean or bait, it seems, which is good fishing, but fly is accessible too, for anyone else reading and let me put a plug in for it like singlespeed mountain biking - very zen.

Fish your local water and see your home in a new way. I noticed on bike rides how much I was scoping out and appreciating streams I would have just ridden by. Really see the land in new ways.

Love fishing so much.

Saint Vitus
01-18-2018, 09:18 AM
Doubling up on the kudos as well, thanks for the tips and tricks gents.

Going to try some fishing up in Mammoth lakes this summer, my 7 year old expressed interest. I'll probably just go with basic no nonsense gear and try our hand at it from the shoreline. If it takes, another trip up we can try fly fishing in the streams, never tried that method.

I fished plenty as a kid growing up in Minnesota and a little bit as an adult in South Georgia (hopefully I hang onto the rod this time lol), so it's not completely foreign to me (just rusted over...).

froze
01-18-2018, 12:13 PM
Newer enthusiastic fly fisher here. Started with a tenkara rod (reel-less Japanese method of flyfishing) and quickly got a traditional set up. Currently using an old rod my bud found left by a stream. Not the greatest but it will catch fish. Got a nice Sage reel for it anticipating picking up a good rod one day. I'm less than $250 in on the sport between the tenkara, rudimentary tackle, and the sage reel for the foundling rod and I got out 30-ish days in 2016 (2017 just focused on MTB cuz we had a baby, but still). Point is, flyfishing has a bad rap for being complicated, difficult, and expensive. It's not and doesn't have to be. This thread errs toward ocean or bait, it seems, which is good fishing, but fly is accessible too, for anyone else reading and let me put a plug in for it like singlespeed mountain biking - very zen.

Fish your local water and see your home in a new way. I noticed on bike rides how much I was scoping out and appreciating streams I would have just ridden by. Really see the land in new ways.

Love fishing so much.

Are you saying you didn't like the Tenkara and so as you progressed as a fly fisherman you graduated away from it?

I do fly fish though I'm not that good at since I was self taught, but I'm not a very good fishing person regardless if I go to my spinning setup! LOL! I take the fly set up when I go on bike tours though because the rod and reel are more compact as is the box containing the flies vs what the box that would contain lures..

msl819
01-18-2018, 01:00 PM
I prefer to fly fish to conventional tackle but there is not doubt that in most situations you will catch less fish with a fly rod than with conventional tackle. They say the progression of a fisherman is

1 - Catch a fish
2 - Catch a lot of fish
3 - Catch big fish
4 - Catch that one fish

Fishing for me has grown much more about the experience than the fish itself. I rarely keep fish to eat and would just as much prefer to take someone fishing and paddle them around than having to have a rod in my hand and a fish on the end of my line. There are some exceptions like fly fishing for redfish or fly fishing for trout where catching excites me more, but I would rather my kids catch fish than me, even when my 9 year old starts to thinking he knows more than I do about how to catch a bass.

Fishing is relaxing for me. I have always enjoyed water and quiet. Like others have said... it can be every bit as expensive as bikes. Here is a pic of my oldest with a 4.5 lb bass he caught making him an expert! When he hooked it I told him, "Set the hook." In a panic he asked, "What does that mean?" Still landed it even though he was scared to hold it. Good times!