PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with overseas warranty

bentaco
01-11-2018, 02:52 PM
I was an early adopter of the Tacx Flux smart trainer, so early in fact that I obtained one before most dealers in the US had their hands on them by purchasing from a dealer in France. The trainer has worked reliably for the past year until the past week when it started making a concerning rubbing sound. I'm well aware that many owners of the Flux have had problems with the belt slipping off, with Tacx recommending the unit be shipped back in every case. I've heard various reports of Tacx paying for return shipping, sending a replacement unit before receiving the original damaged unit, or requiring customers pay their own return shipping.

In my case, Tacx support confirmed my unit should be replaced. From the get go, Tacx asked me to contact the dealer to arrange for a return. I explained that I bought from an international shop, and that shipping back to them would be costly. Nonetheless, Tacx has insisted that I return the unit to the seller first, which of course would happen on my own dime.

I realize by purchasing online, I may have forfeited the niceties associated with going through a local dealer. That being said, I'm not sure what the best option is here. The unit is still functional, but I am fearful that may not be the case for long. Shipping the trainer back to France would end up costing over $150.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Should I just accept that I was mistaken for thinking making a significant purchase online would be without problem?

johnmdesigner
01-11-2018, 03:06 PM
If you bought the thing with a warranty included it should state what their policy would be if the item was found to be defective. If it states you must return it to the place of sale then you are pretty much screwed. Lesson learned.
I would first try working my way up the chain of command at Tacx and see if you can find someone more sympathetic to your problem. Explain that you were so anxious to get their product you bought it in France. Be nice. Most companies want a happy customer.
You might also try contacting one of the US dealers and see if you can work something out with them.
Best of luck.

johnmdesigner
01-11-2018, 03:14 PM
Try here:

http://forum.tacx.com/

Usually a rep hovering in the background on these sites.

bentaco
01-11-2018, 03:25 PM
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. And might have been a good idea for me to actually read the warranty ;)

- If the product is covered by the warranty, then in principle it will be repaired or replaced without charge within 30 days of receipt via your (web) shop
- The shipping procedures and costs are related to the dealers/shop/(web)shop terms and conditions.

So I guess this means I have to try and convince the dealer to pay for the shipping cost? Or that might be just ambiguous enough for the dealer to tell me they are responsible only for shipment to Tacx.

Spaghetti Legs
01-11-2018, 04:19 PM
I (in USA) bought a Tacx Genius from a German website (Bike-24 or the other big one) a couple of years ago. It arrived DOA and Tacx customer support was very responsive but ultimately not helpful in setting up the return. Ultimately the shop covered almost all of the return shipping but it took about a month to work it out. I paid through Paypal and I think the Paypal dispute process was very helpful in making that happen.

Other thoughts: the wheel on trainers have an easily removable brake unit which will save a lot on the shipping. I’m not sure if this applies to the direct drive trainers. In your shoes, if left with nothing else and forced to return, I would push hard for some mechanism for a credit to get a new one at an American shop so as not to get caught in a “cycle” of overseas returns of defective trainers.

bentaco
01-11-2018, 04:41 PM
I (in USA) bought a Tacx Genius from a German website (Bike-24 or the other big one) a couple of years ago. It arrived DOA and Tacx customer support was very responsive but ultimately not helpful in setting up the return. Ultimately the shop covered almost all of the return shipping but it took about a month to work it out. I paid through Paypal and I think the Paypal dispute process was very helpful in making that happen.

Other thoughts: the wheel on trainers have an easily removable brake unit which will save a lot on the shipping. I’m not sure if this applies to the direct drive trainers. In your shoes, if left with nothing else and forced to return, I would push hard for some mechanism for a credit to get a new one at an American shop so as not to get caught in a “cycle” of overseas returns of defective trainers.

Sorry to hear you've had to deal with a similar situation. It's not reassuring that Tacx wasn't willing to help with the shipping. The Flux only has a removable base, so unfortunately it's footprint isn't very conducive to shipping. I also thought about being stuck in the "cycle" of having to return another unit, should a replacement arrive with a similar issue. It makes me think I should just put forth an effort to get a refund, and go with a Kickr.

Peter P.
01-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Most warranties for American products stipulate the consumer pays shipping charges, oftentimes both ways. It's not uncommon, and perfectly within the rights of the company.

Warranties from another country may adhere to different rules.

I'd say cut your losses and buy something made where you can readily get warranty service. Lesson learned.

Let us know if you get the euro dealer or Tacx Europe to give you extra special service.

Spaghetti Legs
01-11-2018, 09:06 PM
It makes me think I should just put forth an effort to get a refund, and go with a Kickr.

That’s what I did. Came out only out a few bucks down and went with a Kickr Snap on sale from REI

mcfarton
01-12-2018, 05:04 AM
I was worried about this when I bought my tacx vortex. It ended up being half the cost from Europe as to what it would be in the US. I took the risk. If something happens I can get another one and be at break even. But I am curious how tacx treats you for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

topflightpro
01-12-2018, 09:04 AM
Most warranties for American products stipulate the consumer pays shipping charges, oftentimes both ways. It's not uncommon, and perfectly within the rights of the company.

Warranties from another country may adhere to different rules.

I'd say cut your losses and buy something made where you can readily get warranty service. Lesson learned.

Let us know if you get the euro dealer or Tacx Europe to give you extra special service.

Yep. This was my experience. My LBS charged me shipping to send my wheels back to CK for a hub warranty repair.

bentaco
01-12-2018, 09:29 AM
I get that it's completely up to the manufacturer's discretion when forming a warranty policy on how they will go about processing returns. For the case of a $900 20kg+ smart trainer, one would hope that the product would have been tested to the point where Tacx could confidently stand behind it. That's not the impression I've gotten with the Flux after reading countless stories online about others giving up on the product after warrantying 2, 3, sometimes 4 units for the same exact problem.

Peter P.
01-12-2018, 07:13 PM
I get that... exact problem.

That alone should push you over the top to buy something else and cut your losses. Consider it the price of education. It happens to all of us.