PDA

View Full Version : Best Place for Mini Pump - ST or DT?

drewellison
01-11-2018, 02:27 PM
On my bikes which can't take a full frame fit pump, I use mini pumps which attach via a bracket under the water bottle cage. So the question is ...

What's the best location for a mini pump - seattube or downtube? And why?

(This is a narrow question on purpose - I don't care about jersey pockets, CO2 inflators, attaching frame pumps to seat stays, etc. and their relative merits.)

Drew

AngryScientist
01-11-2018, 02:32 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kOQj8AVyd34/UHzP13nKNOI/AAAAAAAAAPc/OW7ig2gZuho/s1600/Pump+Picks-21.jpg

Mark McM
01-11-2018, 02:55 PM
Neither. The best place on a frame to mount a pump (any pump) is under the top tube.

http://i.imgur.com/2yhLl.jpg

GOTHBROOKS
01-11-2018, 03:33 PM
nondriveside chainstay/seatstay and your quick release lever.

gdw
01-11-2018, 03:43 PM
Either the seat or down tube works well. Just make sure to set up the carrier so that the pump is on the driveside of your frame. That way you can easily access it if your bike is laying on the ground.

FlashUNC
01-11-2018, 03:45 PM
What Angry mentioned. Just chuck that thing in a jersey pocket and get rolling.

cmbicycles
01-11-2018, 03:45 PM
Not much to go on with just two spots and no idea of pump or mount situation. Given only those two options, and based on the pumps I have on hand, I would usually opt for the seat tube as it's usually thinner diameter so it places the pump more inboard and out of the way relative to the down tube.

m_sasso
01-11-2018, 03:51 PM
You got that right!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kOQj8AVyd34/UHzP13nKNOI/AAAAAAAAAPc/OW7ig2gZuho/s1600/Pump+Picks-21.jpg

That Schwinn is a combination Swiss army knife and rolling grocery store.

KarlC
01-11-2018, 03:52 PM
What Angry mentioned. Just chuck that thing in a jersey pocket and get rolling.

+100 keep the bike looking clean, load up the pockets

Jeff N.
01-11-2018, 04:20 PM
Best place for mini pumps is the trash can.:no:

choke
01-11-2018, 04:52 PM
If you ever take a spill and land on your back you'll wish you hadn't put the pump in your pocket.

My preference....

http://hampco.ciocctoo.com/hh2.JPG

phutterman
01-11-2018, 04:55 PM
I'm firmly in the frame pump on the top tube or mini pump in the pocket camp.

gospastic
01-11-2018, 04:57 PM
I have my pump under the top tube.

steelbikerider
01-11-2018, 05:01 PM
My Blackburn micro pump fits in a small Specialized seatpack so I don't forget it or knock it loose. It works well enough to continue a ride.

hummus_aquinas
01-11-2018, 05:06 PM
I've avoided stashing the pump in the jersey pocket because of someone in our local community crashing out with one in the pocket and damaging vertebrae because it was there.

m_sasso
01-11-2018, 05:14 PM
I think I am just going to stay in my house, with the lights off and watch the ceiling, cause something bad could happen if I go out!

bironi
01-11-2018, 07:03 PM
I think I am just going to stay in my house, with the lights off and watch the ceiling, cause something bad could happen if I go out!

Today's weather matches pretty well with that plan. Do watch out for mini-pumps sneaking up on you in the dark!

eddief
01-11-2018, 07:40 PM
It is plain stupid that pump is shipped with a zip tie bracket. The parent company, Todson, sells a separate bracket that easily lets you mount that pump behind your water bottle cage.

https://www.todson.com/collections/topeak/products/wb-bracket-for-rd-morph-peak-dx-mt-rock-harp-mini-tpd

Nearly everyone I know would prefer this bracket for their bikes.

BobbyJones
01-11-2018, 08:52 PM
If you ever take a spill and land on your back you'll wish you hadn't put the pump in your pocket.

This^^

are you a no helmet guy?

No one ever thinks its gonna happen to them...until it does.

BRad704
01-12-2018, 10:12 AM
I have mine rubber band to the side of a rolled up tube, that all gets put in a side pocket. Worst case, the tube helps cushion the direct impact of the thin pump.

But to answer the op question, my bracket is on drive side down tube in my cross bike. Will likely move it soon because it gets hella filthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOTHBROOKS
01-12-2018, 11:55 AM
http://i.imgur.com/oZcuUlN.jpg
dat way

David Tollefson
01-12-2018, 12:20 PM
I've killed several Blackburn Airsticks having them take the brunt of wheel spray in both locations. I'm done with bottle-cage mounted mini pumps. My Silca mini rides in the middle pocket, along with the spare tube(s). I also have a full size Zefal HPX waiting on the next build. Long live pump pegs.

drewellison
01-12-2018, 12:51 PM
So far the downtube location is running ahead of the seattube location by 3 to 1.

I've heard rationale/reasons for
- seattube mount (smaller than downtube so it tucks in closer)
- drive side mount (easier to retrieve pump when bike is laying down)
- neither location (road spray destroys pumps).

Of those favoring downtube mount, why? Just curious.

FWIW, I also prefer a frame fit pump under the top tube, but some of my bikes won't do that (curvy carbon or lack of pump peg) and the pump lengths do not match length of seat stays (and I don't think I'd trust that location anyways though I know it works well for folks). And often my jersey pockets are full (lunch when I commute, or groceries, or stuff for work, and wallet/phone/etc.).

jke.4132
01-12-2018, 12:54 PM
If I carried a mini-pump, I'd chuck it in a jersey pocket.

froze
01-12-2018, 01:39 PM
There is no "good", nor bad place to put a pump, just put it anywhere you would like to see it at. Typically most pumps are mounted alongside the waterbottle cage because that's how the brackets are made to work.

Some people put mini's in their jersey pockets, I won't do that because I knew a guy who crashed his bike and the pump damaged a vertebrae so bad that he had pain with from that for as long as I knew him and he probably still has pain. I knew another guy who crashed and burned and he a Walkman on his side and it damaged his kidney badly. So I won't put anything hard in a jersey pocket or on my side.

And since you maybe considering buying a mini pump, most mini's do not even go above 75 psi, only a few will make it to 100, Lezyne Road Drive (large one, the two smaller ones may or may not but will require a lot more work, also the Carbon Drive would work the same). Topeak Road Morph, though that pump is more of a 1/2 frame pump plus it's ugly but it works great but I don't consider this a mini pump at all. Topeak Race Rocket HP but is a bit more difficult then the Lezyne to get to 100 but it will get there (the Race Rocket series goes from Race Rocket which is the smallest, to HP, to HPX which is the largest, the HPX did not at the time I purchased my HP come with a water cage side mount you had to remove the cage and use what they called a center line mount which did away with a 2nd water bottle cage which I wasn't willing to do. The new Silca Tatical (sp?) but this thing is way over priced in my opinion, though it is built like a brick and nearly as heavy as one. There may be a couple more pumps that I don't know about but I will tell you this...there can't be more then maybe 3 more that will reach 100 psi. I tried a slew of pumps and had to send them back because they, and I, struggled just to get to 60 not alone their claimed 160 psi capability. One pump I had was really quite cool, it was the SKS Puro, it had a built in PSi gauge built into the rod, but on my first use it literally blew apart at 40 psi, SKS was great and sent me another it to failed at about the same PSI, so they sent be a Carbon Race Day pump instead and that thing works great, sadly they no longer make that pump.

Nooch
01-12-2018, 02:23 PM
http://i.imgur.com/oZcuUlN.jpg
dat way

I always get so nervous about this one..

azrider
01-12-2018, 02:26 PM
Back pocket