PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Sweat Stains on Bare Titanium?

castafly
04-21-2004, 10:20 AM
What's the best way to clean sweat stains on the matte titanium finish on my Serotta Councours? So far I have only used a rag dampened with water, which didn't seem to work very well as I can still clearly see the marks where the sweat was. Is there a safe soap or solvent I can use? In case it matters, my bike is mostly bare, matte titanium with painted panels on the seat and down tube. Any help would be appreciated!

flydhest
04-21-2004, 10:35 AM
In an odd combination of metallurgy and geometry, if your bike is a 60 or 61 cm seat tube, the stains will never come out, so you might as well just send it to me.

Seriously, I haven't had any type of problem with regular soaps (bike cleaner, diluted dish soap) to get off things like dirt, snot, and sweat. Pledge works for light dirt and to restore a shine. Try that.

zap
04-21-2004, 10:39 AM
I use WD40 to take care off tough stains, etc. Spray on and wipe off using paper towels.

PaulE
04-21-2004, 02:53 PM
Serotta recommends Windex and Pledge for cleaning and polishing bare ti.

Bill Bove
04-21-2004, 03:53 PM
Lemon Pledge, there's somthing in the lemon flavor that makes it work better than the Meadow Glenn or Pot Pouri type. Just one word of caution here, when spaying the frame with the Pledge be mindfull of the surface the bike is standing on. I once cleaned my bike in a friends kitchen, the overspray went onto the linolium floor, when she got up in the middle of the night for a drink of water her socks slipped on the shiny floor. I finished the night on the couch.

larryp2
04-21-2004, 07:33 PM
use anything you want. that's one of the many beauties of bare Ti...

FloridaRider
04-23-2004, 02:11 PM
GT45 - amazing stuff! Cleans and polishes Ti better than Pledge (my previous method). Also works well on painted surfaces. I spray it all over the bike and wipe it down.

Kevan
04-23-2004, 03:03 PM
Sandy works so hard to get into a sweat he's decided instead not to wipe the stuff off and has since developed a rather respectable sized stalagmite on his top tube.

At least I think it’s a stalagmite… I mean, they, Sandy and the growth, both look so much alike.

dirtdigger88
04-23-2004, 03:18 PM
Why wipe it off, just let it sit there until it is good and thick- they scrape it off with a chizel. Besides, if you got all that gunk from sweat you look cool. People know you ride. If you don't like that option, try Pledge

Jason

Sandy
04-23-2004, 03:56 PM
How do you get scratches off titanium, if I may ask? Chisel?
How do you get Kevan off myback, if I may ask? :)

Kevan's Best Bud,

Buddy

larryp2
04-23-2004, 06:12 PM
if you're serious, a very fine ScotchGard pad will take scratches out......

dirtdigger88
04-23-2004, 06:19 PM
but make sure you sand with the grain. Like on the TT, wrap the pad around the tube and go front to back, like ya know... Anyway, go with the grain.

Jason

Sandy
04-23-2004, 07:03 PM
I was serious. I have a scratch on the head tube, from where I do not know. Thanks for the info.

Sandy

Serotta PETE
04-26-2004, 09:01 AM
How do you get scratches off titanium, if I may ask? Chisel?
How do you get Kevan off myback, if I may ask? :)

Kevan's Best Bud,

Buddy
Just keep on riding the bike and the scratches will be hidden by sweat. As to getting Kevin off you back....."Ride Faster" PETE

Kevan
04-26-2004, 09:44 AM
be reasonable. Give the poor guy some advice he can work with.

:D :D :D

Sandy
04-26-2004, 10:50 AM
Kevan's got that right, for a change. I can't ride any faster, and I continually have nightmares about Kevan. I don't think I will EVER get him off my back.....I think I am starting to have a nightmare right now and I am not even sleeping.

Sleepless in Maryland,

Sleepless Serotta Sandy

csb
04-26-2004, 10:56 AM

flydhest
04-26-2004, 11:04 AM
I have witnessed the transforming power that cycling has had on people's lives. My lovely wife is now a fiend on a bike, dropping people at will, all the while returning from a vicious round of chemo to (near) full health. Sandy was an over-weight, negative energy loner who is now spritely, friendly, a health and active cyclist who is an inspiration to all who meet him. Keno was a bum. Now he can crank out watts like nobody's business. Spectrum Bob dropped goodness knows how much weight and is now a gossamer of his former self.

The biggest change, however, seems to be csb. When he first showed up to Smiley's house for the BBDave adventure ride, he was visibly aghast at the insults and jabs that were flying fast and furious. More than one of us worried about his well being. Well, after a couple days of riding with us (or hunting for us in Rock Creek Park . . . sorry about that, I just noticed my cell phone voice mail two days ago) he is talking smack to Kevan and Sandy like he is their long lost daughter. Hey, there's a thought, he does have Kevan's eyes, and Sandy's laugh . . .

csb
04-26-2004, 11:11 AM

Andreu
04-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Probably a dumb question but Titanium has grain?
And if so which way does it go - along the length of the tube I presume?
A
and excuse my complete ignorance of all things metal I just ride the bug*ers.

Sandy
04-26-2004, 12:03 PM
Paint it red and make it a strawberry.

So Sweet So Strawberry So Serotta Sandy

Sandy
04-26-2004, 12:11 PM
I think that csb must be your kid. He rides much too fast for Kevan and me. He rides more like you and the Doctor.

Keno is still a bum. I think that every time he flies past me up a hill.

I do agree with you about cycling. It can literally transform your life. It sure did for me.

Still evolving,

Serotta's Sex Symbol

dirtdigger88
04-26-2004, 12:22 PM
Probably a dumb question but Titanium has grain?
And if so which way does it go - along the length of the tube I presume?
A
and excuse my complete ignorance of all things metal I just ride the bug*ers.

Yes, the grain runs the length of the tube. Sand with the grain not against it, you will only make the scratches worse. Try the sanding trick on someone else's bike (not mine please) before you try your own.

Jason

Kevan
04-26-2004, 12:28 PM
it's my opinion that everyone who ride Ti, rubs against my grain. I know this isn't quite the answer you were looking for, but certainly this is more the critical point, wouldn't you agree? :D

I hope someone here will offer you a better answer.

Sandy
04-26-2004, 12:34 PM
When you give me one of your Killer Kinky Kevan's massages you rub me ALL over and you rub me with the grain, against the grain,...

Your massage is the only time that you don't rub me the wrong way.

Kevan has such a tender touch.

Soothingly Smiling Sandy

Kevan
04-26-2004, 12:48 PM
I've forwarded your suggestion on to the producers of the TV show "Fear Factor" and they are very interested. They'd like to speak to Sandy and see if he'd be willing to participate in one of their shows where the contestants would face the challenge of giving him a thorough massage or face disqualification and taking the walk of shame. So pleased are they with the notion, they're considering this event for their season finale!

Now here's the rub... sorta speak... in my initial conversations with Sandy about doing this stunt, he has demanded that I enlist your help in getting him prepared. Now frankly, I didn't ask him what that entailed, but I can guarantee that about everyone in the TV audience will be experiencing a gag reflex as a result of your brave efforts.

Sandy, my pal, thanks for being a sport. I'll make sure the producers pay you handsomely. After I take my cut.

csb
04-26-2004, 01:40 PM

Kevan
04-26-2004, 01:55 PM
Sandy was rather emphatic about his "Hummmphhhhh!".... needs.

Please excuse me now.

Serotta PETE
04-26-2004, 02:10 PM
Sandy, I will be nice (or at least try)...

Pledge works well and also windex for sweat. For scratches I use semi chrome from my motorcycle days. Do not rub olver decals though), Use your finger with a little of the paste on it. don't rub in circular motion but in a back and foward motion. If it does not come out when can work on it at open house.

Kevan
04-26-2004, 02:25 PM
rubbing anything around Sandy can be ... well, dangerous.

Serotta PETE
04-26-2004, 02:30 PM

Kevan
04-26-2004, 02:50 PM
Precisely.