PDA

View Full Version : Any campagnolo crank "experts" here?

Greatwhite
01-11-2018, 01:06 AM
Would these cranks:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Campagnolo-BORA-Ultra-Crankset-11-Speed-172-5m-39-53-CULT-CERAMIC-BEARlNGS-NOS/272886633054?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Work on this TT groupset?

https://www.bikebug.com/campagnolo-record-tttri-groupset-p-51973.html

One set is Ultra Crankset while the other is Ultra-Torque Bottom Bracket - Super Record.

If so, any idea on what adapter I would need?

They are to go on a frame with a BB386 BTW.

Apparently the BB386 is 86.5mm wide (or more). The Bora cranks are compatible with BBs measuring 69.2/70.8mm and 67.2/68.8mm.

Full specs are here:

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_33_Technical%20manual%20-%20bora%20ultra%20crankset%20-%20Campagnolo_06_12.pdf

choke
01-11-2018, 01:59 AM
Your links aren't working.

Generally speaking you can use pretty much any crank with any group. I've used 9sp cranks with an 11sp group and 8sp cranks with 10sp with zero problems.

Mackers
01-11-2018, 02:10 AM
-

Greatwhite
01-11-2018, 02:31 AM
Your links aren't working.

Fixed I hope.

Greatwhite
01-11-2018, 02:31 AM
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=149291

Yeah I was told to post here as apparently more campag guys here or something?!

So hopefully get a definite answer.

Louis
01-11-2018, 03:04 AM
Yeah I was told to post here as apparently more campag guys here or something?!

So hopefully get a definite answer.

There will be plenty in the morning.

Greatwhite
01-11-2018, 03:20 AM
There will be plenty in the morning.

Hopefully.

I am in Oz and guess most of you guys are in USA/UK so a little time diff.

Cheers.

choke
01-11-2018, 03:32 AM
Yeah, it will work. That crank was a short lived model made for Tri and TT bikes. It uses Ultra-Torque cups so you can use any adapter that is made for those. I'm not sure which adapter is the best, I don't have anything that takes them, but I do know Campy make BB386 cups - https://www.competitivecyclist.com/campagnolo-ultra-torque-bb386-bottom-bracket-cups

Here's the tech document for that crank - https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_33_Technical%20manual%20-%20bora%20ultra%20crankset%20-%20Campagnolo_06_12.pdf

Finally, if you're thinking of buying the crank you linked to you can find one for a much better price (https://www.merlincycles.com/campagnolo-bullet-ultra-carbon-road-chainset-11-speed-92880.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-US&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Road+Bike+Chainsets&ucpo=33607&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_5jw8srP2AIVl7XACh2TeAmyEAQYAiAB EgJEVPD_BwE).

Greatwhite
01-11-2018, 04:17 AM
Yeah, it will work. That crank was a short lived model made for Tri and TT bikes. It uses Ultra-Torque cups so you can use any adapter that is made for those.

Finally, if you're thinking of buying the crank you linked to you can find one for a much better price[/URL].

Thanks mate.

Been looking at the Bullet cranks you linked to and they are steel compared to titanium in parts, but only about 20 grams heavier.

But about half the price.

Def thinking of getting them as really no different. The Bora cranks have ceramic bearing which I was told need to be changed yearly, whereas the Bullets seem to have standard bearings.

choke
01-11-2018, 04:31 AM
Thanks mate.

Been looking at the Bullet cranks you linked to and they are steel compared to titanium in parts, but only about 20 grams heavier.

But about half the price.

Def thinking of getting them as really no different. The Bora cranks have ceramic bearing which I was told need to be changed yearly, whereas the Bullets seem to have standard bearings.Ooops....those came up in a search so I didn't look as closely as I should have....the Boras are Ultra-Torque whereas the Bullets are Power-Torque. There are a lot of opinions are the merits of one vs. the other and I can't comment on that, having only used UT. The important part is that they use different adapters so whichever you end up with you need to make sure that you get the proper adapter; that one I linked to earlier is for UT.

Greatwhite
01-11-2018, 04:49 AM
having only used UT.

The important part is that they use different adapters so whichever you end up with you need to make sure that you get the proper adapter; that one I linked to earlier is for UT.

Are UT really awesome, or just good?
ie worth 2-3x the money?

Yep will find out more about the adapters.

tuscanyswe
01-11-2018, 06:18 AM
Power torque is campys option that were used on cheaper cranks and therefor have a bad rep.

The earlier version you had to remove them with a special puller or some homemade trick. Noone likes to buy new tools so they were not incredibly popular among campy fans.

The cranks themselves are not 2-3x worse than the ultra torque version ofcrouse. Just a different solution. Ppl like what they know and are familiar with, most campy ppl (me included) know ultra torque..

The later version power torque now have selfextracting bolts so its no longer such a fuss to remove the cranks.

Dont think the TT power torque has self removing bolts tho, you will have to check the description..

I like ultra torque, its really good. but i think the value is not as good in this case.
There are also ceramic vs regular ultra torque bearings. I wouldent pay much extra for ceramic version tbh.

This is the kind of adapter i would get if i were running ultra on a bb386
https://www.ebay.com/itm/mr-ride-BB386-adaptor-2-Campagnolo-Ultra-Torque-crank-BB-Bottom-Bracket-Black/332504881336?epid=676137396&hash=item4d6ad5d8b8:g:ZA4AAOSwl8NVblh~

A bb that is screwed together and not just pressfitted.. Its helps with potential creaks..

R3awak3n
01-11-2018, 06:24 AM
I like ultra torque better just because easier to remove with less tools but as far as ridding them, power torque are as good as UT. As far as ceramic goes, you dont have to replace the bearings every year. It really depends what you want to spend.

oldpotatoe
01-11-2018, 08:19 AM
I like ultra torque better just because easier to remove with less tools but as far as ridding them, power torque are as good as UT. As far as ceramic goes, you dont have to replace the bearings every year. It really depends what you want to spend.

And if you do, regular 6mm stainless steel cart bearings are easy to find.

tylercheung
01-11-2018, 11:59 AM
Mildly OT/hijacking, so you could in theory use Athena/Potenza 11 sp alloy cranks w/ chorus/record shifters/derailleurs/cassettes?

oldpotatoe
01-11-2018, 12:03 PM
Mildly OT/hijacking, so you could in theory use Athena/Potenza 11 sp alloy cranks w/ chorus/record shifters/derailleurs/cassettes?

Yes, as a matter of fact, use any crank, whether it be Campag(preferred!!) or not. OR Like Centaur or Veloce 10s..it'll work just fine. Or newest Centaur in 11s...nice..!!

dddd
01-11-2018, 12:19 PM

No reason why not, other than perhaps weight or vanity.
Same goes for cassettes and chains of course.

Many older frames with brazed-on front derailer bracket may not allow the front derailer to be lowered as much as theoretically needed for a 50t big ring.

A friend bought the Bullet cranks on sale and had them installed by a dealer.
He was apparently unhappy with how freely the cranks spun, for whatever reason, and was soon trying to off them for half what he paid.
Maybe the looks of them on his steel Tommasini wasn't to his liking, but before I could buy them he had sold the cranks and the bike.
If I was sure that I could have pulled these off at home, I would have bought them immediately for the hundred dollars or so he was wanting, even though I would have had to buy an adapter to put them on my press-fit CX-Zero.

Greatwhite
01-11-2018, 12:22 PM
This is the kind of adapter i would get if i were running ultra on a bb386
https://www.ebay.com/itm/mr-ride-BB386-adaptor-2-Campagnolo-Ultra-Torque-crank-BB-Bottom-Bracket-Black/332504881336?epid=676137396&hash=item4d6ad5d8b8:g:ZA4AAOSwl8NVblh~

A bb that is screwed together and not just pressfitted.. Its helps with potential creaks..

Thanks mate, will grab one of them also.
Dont like the press fit version much myself.

Greatwhite
01-11-2018, 12:25 PM
A friend bought the Bullet cranks on sale and had them installed by a dealer.
He was apparently unhappy with how freely the cranks spun, for whatever reason, and was soon trying to off them for half what he paid.
Maybe the looks of them on his steel Tommasini wasn't to his liking, but before I could buy them he had sold the cranks and the bike.
If I was sure that I could have pulled these off at home, I would have bought them immediately for the hundred dollars or so he was wanting, even though I would have had to buy an adapter to put them on my press-fit CX-Zero.

Watched some youtube vids and it would have been cheaper even after buying the kit to remove the cranks, but you could damage them also.

Will avoid them just in case.