PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Baldy, SoCal - current conditions?

AngryScientist
01-10-2018, 07:41 PM
Local knowledge sought -

with the status of wild fires and mudslides - how are the roads up to mt baldy?

mhespenheide
01-10-2018, 09:18 PM
As far as I'm aware of, the wildfires were all farther west. Closer to I-5 for the Tujunga fire and all the way out here near Ventura, Ojai, and Santa Barbara for the Thomas fire. The recent flooding and mudslides are Santa Barbara.

Baldy is, say, 40-50 miles east of any of these. You should be fine.

Anyone more local (and recent) that can chime in?

Bantamben
01-10-2018, 09:41 PM
Yeah all the fires where like 2 hours away not even close conditions should be good.

KarlC
01-10-2018, 09:48 PM
You should be go to go, just pick a day when it's not raining and wet on your way down.

beeatnik
01-10-2018, 09:49 PM
The status is dull, barren climb which rivals Alpe d'Huez once you reach Baldy Village and hit the many switchbacks. Actually, at that point, you will see a tree or two.

PeregrineA1
01-10-2018, 09:51 PM
Probably some snow right now. Snow level was ~5k’ on Monday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
01-10-2018, 09:58 PM
thanks guys.

GMR > baldy. seems like one that i need to knock out.

i got a little worried when i heard about the recent mudslide situation, and what that can mean for smaller roads and elevation changes. sounds like it's OK out that way.

i love this forum and appreciate the locals chiming in to help, it's not always obvious what's what from across the country.

false_Aest
01-10-2018, 10:24 PM
when are you coming out here?

bironi
01-10-2018, 10:47 PM
The status is dull, barren climb which rivals Alpe d'Huez once you reach Baldy Village and hit the many switchbacks. Actually, at that point, you will see a tree or two.

Is that to say it rivals d'Huez in boring?

mhespenheide
01-10-2018, 11:38 PM
Is that to say it rivals d'Huez in boring?

Baldy below the village is a grind and not the most scenic. Baldy above the village is a great climb. GMR and/or East Fork are great if you have the extra time.

NickR
01-10-2018, 11:56 PM
My buddies where up on GMR today, cold but no snow but baldy might be another story. Also it’s going to get warm by Saturday so the snow should be gone at Baldy.

lhuerta
01-11-2018, 12:46 AM
Climbing Mt Baldy Road (before the village) is definitely boring. As others have indicated start in Glendora via GMR and return via same route....no traffic, amazing views and a substantive amount of steady climbing. The ride down GMR is as fun (and challenging) as the ride up.