PDA

View Full Version : Moots RSL owners

dsimon
01-10-2018, 03:54 PM
Can you put fenders on this frame? and whats the largest size tire you can run? Thank you

dbnm
01-10-2018, 04:10 PM
No to fenders.

I am running IRC Roadlites (700x25) on Shimano Dura Acce 9000 C24 wheels. Tubeless. I don't think I could go to 28s.

sooshi
01-10-2018, 05:10 PM
Agree with not being able to run fenders.

I'm running 700x25 Conti GP 4000's II's on Enve 3.4 clinchers. I wanted to run 28's but didn't think they would fit

dbnm
01-10-2018, 05:17 PM
The Moots website says 27mm.

01-10-2018, 06:34 PM
You can split fenders front and rear and mount them. It's a bit tortuous but you can get a good protective installation with P-clamps (or in my former RSL's case, some creative work with a drill and tap). Use SKS fenders, slightly oversize, so you can twist and shape them a bit. The bike hasn't been invented that can't take fenders with a little bit of effort.

sparky33
01-25-2018, 01:09 PM
It so happens I'm considering an RSL too, and the LBS has new one in my size on the floor. Here is what I found when I put my own wheel&tire...Chinook Pass EL on Boyd 28 carbon clincher...tire measures almost exactly 28mm with several hundred miles on it.

almost 4mm clearance at non-driveside chainstay
3mm clearance at driveside chainstay
3+ clearance at seattube, 2mm clearance at front derailleur clamp

My wheel has a slight hop, and the clearance still looked reasonable with this specific wheel&tire. A wider tire would not be OK.

dbnm
01-25-2018, 01:13 PM
Wow that is tight.

So are you gonna buy it?

mktng
01-25-2018, 01:25 PM
cant see it being an issue if you ran something like SKS Raceblade Long's

sparky33
01-25-2018, 01:28 PM
Wow that is tight.

So are you gonna buy it?
I'm thinking about it. It rode great.
The RSL smoothness is similar to that of my Vamoots CR, but the RSL is a bit more stiff in the right ways. Snappy. Chainstays are bigger and tapered...really nice. Seatstays are smaller. The downtube is a couple mm bigger, but it is not the huge 1 3/4 downtube you see on some current ti race bikes.... I could tolerate the 30.9 seatpost and PF30 bb.

The stock 54 RSL frameset is darn close to what I would spec as a custom from Firefly et al...similar 5k+ price too!!! It's a nice bike for sure. Maybe I'd order one for eTap, etched logos and engraved headbadge...

chiasticon
01-25-2018, 01:31 PM
if there's clearance for 28mm, I'd imagine you could get PDW full metal fenders to work; that's what they're designed for, after all. but you'd have to run 23mm tires. that's likely the case regardless of what fenders you use in this frame, really. those fenders will at least not mark up your frame like p-clamps and some of the clip-on options will (yes, even titanium). they'd look bad ass on a Ti frame too.

alternatively, if you're buying new, you could go custom and ask Moots to engineer clearance for fenders/put fender mounts on. you might have to go with a different fork though.

sparky33
01-25-2018, 01:34 PM
if there's clearance for 28mm, I'd imagine you could get PDW full metal fenders to work; that's what they're designed for, after all. but you'd have to run 23mm tires. that's likely the case regardless of what fenders you use in this frame, really. those fenders will at least not mark up your frame like p-clamps and some of the clip-on options will (yes, even titanium). they'd look bad ass on a Ti frame too.

alternatively, if you're buying new, you could go custom and ask Moots to engineer clearance for fenders/put fender mounts on. you might have to go with a different fork though.

Though it has no fender mounts, the current Moots tapered road fork has more clearance than the previous (straight 1 1/8) Moots fork. It fits a 30 with ease but not a 32.

chiasticon
01-25-2018, 01:35 PM
The stock 54 RSL frameset is darn close to what I would spec as a custom from Firefly et al...similar 5k+ price too!!! It's a nice bike for sure. Maybe I'd order one for eTap, etched logos and engraved headbadge...Adrenaline has some nice deals on 2017 Moots right now. the RSL is $1k off. BUT... no 54's :(

could you maybe make a 52 work?

https://www.adrenalinebikes.com/store.cfm?do=Browseproducts&CategoryID=2216

sparky33
01-25-2018, 01:39 PM
Adrenaline has some nice deals on 2017 Moots right now. the RSL is $1k off. BUT... no 54's :(

could you maybe make a 52 work?

https://www.adrenalinebikes.com/store.cfm?do=Browseproducts&CategoryID=2216

Thanks! but size 54 is perfect. Maybe the LBS will discount the floor model. It has Di2 holes, but that would be acceptable with a discount.

PNW
01-25-2018, 01:56 PM
Thanks! but size 54 is perfect. Maybe the LBS will discount the floor model. It has Di2 holes, but that would be acceptable with a discount.

Id roll with one of these if possible...I picked up a brand new 2017 Moots CR in my size for a substantial discount (just a bit lower than they are asking). I got lucky because it was a tubeset on the shelf at Moots so I got to pick decal color, finish, etc. You typically don't see discounted Moots frames, and you get their awesome warranty!

hobbanero
01-25-2018, 04:35 PM
I've got tires measuring 28mm that fit with plenty of clearance. Only fender option I have tried is the SKS raceblades, and those fit easily on the rear, but the front is a bit tight...you just have to set the height carefully to clear the tire and the frame.

sooshi
01-25-2018, 10:27 PM
Nothing to do with the tire clearance questions but just wanted to chime in on how great this bike is to ride. I was torn between this and a Firefly and couldn't be happier with my choice.

madsciencenow
01-25-2018, 10:48 PM
I bought mine off one of the welders at Moots and it’s a stock 52 except that the chain stays are extended by 2mm to allow 28s to fit. I’ve not actually tried anything bigger than a 25 but based on the posts here I’d say a 28 may work depending on the rim and the tire but don’t count on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbnm
01-25-2018, 10:52 PM
Love my 54cm.

(a few changes coming)

01-25-2018, 10:57 PM
https://store.rivercitybicycles.com/product/river-city-bicycles-reacharound-fender-brackets-4486.htm

These. With them, just pick a tire that will fit under the fork crown or under the rear brake bridge. Then these will let you run the fender high by cutting it at the brake bridge and bridging it over the brake bridge with these fittings. If you don't have room all the way down the rear tire to the chain stay bridge, you can run it as far as you can and attach it to the seat tube. I've used a bracket made from a Blackburn stainless rack bracket to mount the end using one of the seat tube water bottle fittings; the Blackburn bracket fits under the bottle cage.

On the front you may not be able to install a short piece in front of the front brake, but that's also not a piece you really need that much anyway.

weisan
01-26-2018, 05:16 AM
You can split fenders front and rear and mount them. It's a bit tortuous but you can get a good protective installation with P-clamps (or in my former RSL's case, some creative work with a drill and tap). Use SKS fenders, slightly oversize, so you can twist and shape them a bit. The bike hasn't been invented that can't take fenders with a little bit of effort.

I managed to install fenders on any bike that I want using this approach. It's matter of how badly you want it done. If you want it bad enough, you will find a way.

cycle-spinner
01-26-2018, 02:04 PM
I did it with 23 tires but it was tight and rubbed. The frames were updated for more "clearance" during 2017.