PDA

View Full Version : DeFeet quality

Veloo
01-10-2018, 12:29 PM
Anyone else seeing a decline in the quality of Defeet socks?
The stuff I bought ages ago last many, many years. The recent batch I got has holes in them after only a couple of years.
I typically get the Aireators.

sandyrs
01-10-2018, 12:44 PM
A couple years? Try a couple rides. I got three sets of their 7" cuff wool socks that are supposed to be especially durable and all three fell apart almost immediately.

weisan
01-10-2018, 12:56 PM
I know this is not what you asking but...I bought like 8 pairs of swiftwick about a year ago based on the recommendation here. Put them through regular rotation, only use them on bike rides. They looked as new as they were the day I bought them. I am stunned. I have never encountered a consumer product like this. Bought them at a closeout price of $6 a pair which makes it extra sweet. This probably qualifies as "best bike -related purchase. Ever."

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/swiftwick-four-compression-cycling-socks-quarter-crew-for-men-and-women~p~125pr/?filterString=s~swiftwick-%2F&merch=prod-rec-prod-prod125PR

veggieburger
01-10-2018, 12:57 PM
YES. It's terrible. I have a pair that is 10 years old, no holes. My 6 month old Defeets are getting threadbare and the cuff is beginning to unstitched and unravel. :(

sandyrs
01-10-2018, 01:01 PM
i know this is not what you asking but...i bought like 8 pairs of swiftwick about a year ago based on the recommendation here. Put them through regular rotation, only use them on bike rides. They looked as new as they were the day i bought them. I am stunned. I have never encountered a consumer product like this. Bought them at a closeout price of $6 a pair which makes it extra sweet. This probably qualifies as "best bike -related purchase. Ever."

+1

zzy
01-10-2018, 01:17 PM
I've been buying Woolie Boolies for over a decade and and also noticed a decline in the quality of the material. However, the ones I got 10+ years ago are still going strong.

El Chaba
01-10-2018, 01:33 PM
For DeFeet they had to do something about the longevity of their product. The Aereators last forever.

BobbyJones
01-10-2018, 01:33 PM
As...

a) they are my go to sock for everything
b) i'm in need of a replenishment of my 5-7 year old stash...

...I find this a bummer.

Anyone have more alternatives?

weisan
01-10-2018, 02:05 PM
As...

a) they are my go to sock for everything
b) i'm in need of a replenishment of my 5-7 year old stash...

...I find this a bummer.

Anyone have more alternatives?
I just bought another 50 pairs, y'all may go there now.
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/swiftwick-four-compression-cycling-socks-quarter-crew-for-men-and-women~p~125pr/?filterString=s~swiftwick-%2F&merch=prod-rec-prod-prod125PR

ColonelJLloyd
01-10-2018, 02:05 PM
A couple years? Try a couple rides. I got three sets of their 7" cuff wool socks that are supposed to be especially durable and all three fell apart almost immediately.

My experience is the same.

Smartwool PhD for me now with the odd Wigwam here and there.

JStonebarger
01-10-2018, 02:10 PM
I gave up DeFeet for Smart Wool, but found that SW don't last either.

Darn. Tough. (https://darntough.com/)

Unconditionally guaranteed for life. And no, I didn't believe it at first either.

mktng
01-10-2018, 02:12 PM
Swift Wick socks are awesome. Best quality I've seen.

Defeet socks are definitely poorly made. But they do offer a wide range of crazy designs

572cv
01-10-2018, 02:19 PM
I am happy to promote my nearby locally owned long wearing Vermont sock company, Darn Tough.

Dirtdiggler
01-10-2018, 02:24 PM
I agree on the woolie boolie, quite disappointed when the heels wore out and after use and wool material seems to ''ball'' up. Smart wool the same, but Darn Tough is really the longer wearing of them all. Sometimes Marshalls and TJMaxx will have them in the fall.

mistermo
01-10-2018, 02:24 PM
Darn Tough and Swiftwick are the two best by a mile. Wearing Darn Tough right now.

72gmc
01-10-2018, 02:57 PM
I noticed the same trend with defeet (though their arm warmers are still awesome) so I picked up a few pairs of SockGuy wool at an LBS. Good stuff. Their SGX/coolmax is also a light and durable summer sock for me.

ColnagoFan
01-10-2018, 03:02 PM
I just bought another 50 pairs, y'all may go there now.

Damn! I wish they had the taller ones!

R3awak3n
01-10-2018, 03:18 PM
swiftwick is my new defeet. Its all I buy now

Bostic
01-10-2018, 03:28 PM
I have lived in the aireator and classico for the last decade. Most of them have lasted that long as well. I can't find the long length classico anymore either. I wear cargo shorts and Keen H2 sandals year round and during the winter months as long as my calves are warm I'm good. This is a bummer if I have to find a new favorite brand.

John H.
01-10-2018, 04:36 PM
How about Defeet gloves?

They used to be my go to. Last 2 pairs that I bought fit terribly. Size medium- fingers were like an inch too long.

72gmc
01-10-2018, 05:47 PM
How about Defeet gloves?

Still use them every day. Wool or whatever their not-wool is. Fit is fine, but I did buy them several years ago.

01-10-2018, 06:37 PM
Darn Tough. By a mile. Better than SwiftWick and all the other brands. Whatever they do, they feel better, they stay together, they don't wear out, and they have some great colors and patterns as well. The best act in socks these days.

herb5998
01-10-2018, 06:57 PM
Not seeing any issues with the defeet stuff I’ve purchased lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parris
01-10-2018, 07:23 PM
Id stay away from Smart Wool. I have a pair that came apart at the seam during the first wearing. When i contacted cs I was told to return them to the store i bought them from with a recipt for exchange. The issue is these were part of a gift that was sent so there was no recipt. Go with Darn Tough.

Lovetoclimb
01-10-2018, 07:49 PM
I sure have only experienced top notch Defeet quality product myself. I do know some people who have also contacted their customer service with stellar results. I'm pretty sure if you have something you bought at a shop, online, or from any known Defeet retailer the company will take care of you and make any product issue right. Worth a shot if you feel something is not living up to the cost you paid...

Cicli
01-10-2018, 07:54 PM
I am happy to promote my nearby locally owned long wearing Vermont sock company, Darn Tough.

Easily the best. I love them even at full pop.

Craiger810
01-10-2018, 08:46 PM
+1 for Darn Tough. I wish I could share how well their guarantee works, but I can't wear a pair out!

joev
01-10-2018, 08:59 PM
Another vote for SwiftWick. I received a pair as a gift and am surprised on fit/non-wear. SierraTrading now only had medium...I'm late to the party.

Another brand I like, wears like iron, and has different styles is Balega. I like the Enduro V-Tech Quarter socks. https://www.balega.com/our-product/enduro

daker13
01-10-2018, 09:17 PM
Darn Tough. By a mile. Better than SwiftWick and all the other brands. Whatever they do, they feel better, they stay together, they don't wear out, and they have some great colors and patterns as well. The best act in socks these days.

I got a couple pairs of these for Xmas and am looking forward to wearing them (too thin for present weather). IME the boat has sailed on Smartwool.

weisan
01-10-2018, 09:25 PM
SierraTrading now only had medium...I'm late to the party.

joey pal, if it makes you feel any better, they have mediums as the only option right from the start...even the first batch that I bought back in 5/6/2016. I went back and looked at my email confirmation.

Keith A
01-10-2018, 09:25 PM
This is a timely topic, as I just picked up a few pair of DeFeet socks. I haven't tried this for many years as I've been happy with my SmartWool socks. My SmartWools are from several years ago before the changes at that company. I think I read that the previous owners of SmartWool started the Point6 (https://point6.com/) and have been interested in trying out some of their socks.

BdaGhisallo
01-11-2018, 04:17 AM
I was a huge fan of Defeet. I wore their socks and still use their armwarmers. I even had a custom run of Levitator Lites done for me some years back.

But then came Swiftwick or, more precisely, the Swiftwick Aspire. They are an awesome sock. I have never come close to wearing a hole in a single one of them. They feel great. The cuff is nice and firm and never sags and the cuff length options are fantastic.

I recently got a few pairs of the Swiftwick wool socks in the 12" cuff and they were heavenly on a recent trip to Austria, where it was a little colder than I am used to.

mcteague
01-11-2018, 07:28 AM
I like thicker socks for my narrow feet and have used the Woolie Boolies and liked them. If their quality has gone down, what would the best replacement be? Most cycling specific socks are a bit too thin for me.

Tim

Tall
01-11-2018, 07:31 AM
As someone with large feet, Defeet worked much better than Smartwool for me. Even the largest size Smartwool were too tight for my liking. I also appreciated that for summer wool socks, the Defeets seemed to be thinner. No durability issues for me so far, but the last pair of Defeet I bought is now probably two years old. Good to know that more recent products may have quality issues.

Seramount
01-11-2018, 09:03 AM
had a pair of DeFeets and liked them when brand new, but after fairly minimal use, they're pretty stretched out at the cuff, so don't wear them any longer.

after trying some Swiftwicks, they're the only socks I've bought for the last couple of years.

just bought several pair, which will likely last me a loooong time before I need to replace them.

checked out the Darn Tough site...looks like a good product, but pretty pricey.

El Chaba
01-11-2018, 09:14 AM
I'll expand on my earlier post. I have a number of pairs of deFeet socks. Some are now over 10 years old. If I can find any fault with them it is that the things WILL NOT WEAR OUT. I've not experienced a single issue -quality control or otherwise- with all of the pairs that I have had. In addition to socks, I've been very satisfied with their undershirts and arm warmers....great products that last and last. As a pure bonus, I always feel good about doing business with a small company that I have been convinced does its best to make great products and keep its customers satisfied. I'm a fan....

topflightpro
01-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Hmm, my DeFeets have held up fine.

fignon's barber
01-11-2018, 11:07 AM
The original Defeet Aireators were indestructible. I remember Defeet's factory burnt down maybe 10 years ago. After that, they have gotten progressively worse in both durability and fit.

fignon's barber
01-11-2018, 11:09 AM

Love them for hiking socks, never tried cycling.

mktng
01-11-2018, 11:10 AM
checked out the Darn Tough site...looks like a good product, but pretty pricey.

I have a few pairs of Darn Tough socks for off the bike use.
With a warranty like what they offer. The price is fair.

shovelhd
01-11-2018, 12:04 PM
Hmm, my DeFeets have held up fine.

Same here. You guys need to keep your toenails trimmed. :banana: